Thread: Samsara: the film by Ron Fricke

Samsara: the film by Ron Fricke

Official site

From the maker of Baraka, this is like Koyaanisqatsi updated. No dialog, just gorgeous filmmaking. I mention it here because there is a very short Shaolin segment, shot at Tagou of course, with an extraordinary mass Kung Fu demo, the sort that only Tagou can do. But this film is so much more. It has multiple thematic arcs, far more engaging than the 'qatsi films. It's the best of this kind of cinema so far. Just beautiful. SPOILER: Staggering time-lapse shots of sacred places, natural wonders, and holy architecture. Prison dances, factory farming and butchering, Mecca, androids, sex dolls, sacred ethnic dances, sand mandala, a strange French Butoh-like performance, beautiful babies and preserved cadavers, the weirdest funeral ever, and so much more.END SPOILER
    Indelible imagery. Not for everyone. I was captivated from the first scene. I really hope I can see it on the big screen someday.

Samsara - Official Trailer (HD)
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

I liked this, but it takes a wild turn when they head into meat processing.
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    As a mod, I don't have to explain myself to you.

The trailer.

Great story is character driven. This trailer tells me these people do not know what story telling is about. If that is not the case, fix the trailer people.
    r.

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    Official site

From the maker of Baraka, this is like Koyaanisqatsi updated. No dialog, just gorgeous filmmaking. I mention it here because there is a very short Shaolin segment, shot at Tagou of course, with an extraordinary mass Kung Fu demo, the sort that only Tagou can do. But this film is so much more. It has multiple thematic arcs, far more engaging than the 'qatsi films. It's the best of this kind of cinema so far. Just beautiful. SPOILER: Staggering time-lapse shots of sacred places, natural wonders, and holy architecture. Prison dances, factory farming and butchering, Mecca, androids, sex dolls, sacred ethnic dances, sand mandala, a strange French Butoh-like performance, beautiful babies and preserved cadavers, the weirdest funeral ever, and so much more.END SPOILER
    Indelible imagery. Not for everyone. I was captivated from the first scene. I really hope I can see it on the big screen someday.

Samsara - Official Trailer (HD)

Quote Originally Posted by r.(shaolin) View Post
    Great story is character driven. This trailer tells me these people do not know what story telling is about. If that is not the case, fix the trailer people.
    r.
    Who said Samsara had a story?

I recommend watching Baraka on a big screen and good sound system in a dark room alone. And then tell us how much story it lacked.

Never mind story. It's art!

Samsara, Baraka and the Qatsi trilogy are a different kind of cinema. They are going after something much bigger than a linear, easy-to-digest storyline. They are all very abstract during some sequences. There's no dialog either. If that's not for you, that's fine. Stick to something simpler perhaps, like G.I. Joe.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart