Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Danger In Not Knowing What You Are Up Against

The Danger In Not Knowing What You Are Up Against

So I was looking into some Tantui stuff which was piquing my interest and came across this load of BS:

Video Clip Series: Learning the Combat Applications of Tantui

These Wahnam guys are terrible, and have no idea how a "boxer" or "kickboxer" actually fights like. The way they demonstrated their techniques (or lack there of) against the "boxer/kickboxer" shows a complete disregard for any combat ability whatsoever.

/endrant

those wacky wahnam guys.....
    Chan Tai San Book at https://www.createspace.com/4891253

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    well, like LKFMDC - he's a genuine Kung Fu Hero™
    Quote Originally Posted by Taixuquan99 View Post
    As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

When I first encountered Wong Kiew Kit's offerings I thought "wow! Look at all this stuff!!"

But when I really got into the martial aspect of things and digging for history...
    Kung Fu is good for you.

I think it's honestly embarassing and they should be ashamed of themselves but everyone is allowed to live in what ever reality they wish...at least until reality hits them in the face.

because it has to be done

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gEDaCIDvj6I

As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

Blog Entries
    I like this instructor's teaching method better.

http://v.youku.com/v_show/id_XNDkyMTIzMDE2.html

In that short clip, he clearly explained

- How to catch his opponent's timing.
    - How to recognize his opponent's weight distribution.
    - Which angle he should attack.
    - Where he should land his weight supporting foot.

You have to develop your tool one at a time.
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 10-01-2013 at 01:25 PM.
    http://johnswang.com

More opinion -> more argument
    Less opinion -> less argument
    No opinion -> no argument

Quote Originally Posted by lkfmdc View Post
    The funny thing is that I thought about this fight when I saw the videos in the link I posted.

I remember when I first got into kung fu, hung gar, my dad and I saw a seminar hosted by Wong Kiew Kit was in my college town so we went to it. Well, he gets shown to know hung gar and all this other stuff but I just couldn't see it. Who knows, I might not have been advanced to see what they were actually doing but yeah, I was done with them.

The student that was hosting the grandmaster was a ***** too. I asked a question and he snapped at me. My dad was a tad confused since we were new to this stuff and just simply wanted to know if our positioning was right. So apparently I disrespected the master...

I will say this though, Wong Kiew kit was an incredibly kind man himself though. Just his kung fu...

If I grossly aped some chop socky kung fu movements in a boxing class, taught my students how to "defend" against it, and posted videos of it on the internet, I might be called rude and inconsiderate.

Then again, wahnam guys are all about the chop socky...

Quote Originally Posted by pazman View Post
    If I grossly aped some chop socky kung fu movements
    you'd be accurately showing what these chimps are actually doing

Quote Originally Posted by Fa Xing View Post

These Wahnam guys are terrible, and have no idea how a "boxer" or "kickboxer" actually fights like. The way they demonstrated their techniques (or lack there of) against the "boxer/kickboxer" shows a complete disregard for any combat ability whatsoever.
    I find it odd when people demo something for a video and have someone play a boxer or kickboxer, when it would probably be pretty simple to get a real one to come help with your video, instead of doing a bad imitation.
    Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    This is 100% TCMA principle. It may be used in non-TCMA also. Since I did learn it from TCMA, I have to say it's TCMA principle.
    We should not use "TCMA is more than combat" as excuse for not "evolving".

You can have Kung Fu in cooking, it really has nothing to do with fighting!

Actually watching the videos has saddened me...hahaha If they actually throw a pao choy like that, they will break their arms but then again the formidable three rings around the moon was funny as well.

I find it odd when people demo something for a video and have someone play a boxer or kickboxer, when it would probably be pretty simple to get a real one to come help with your video, instead of doing a bad imitation.
    Agreed, it would probably be very easy, especially in the west.

In Chinese martial arts, you are free to choose between mocking other athletes or living in a fantasy world.

Quote Originally Posted by pazman View Post
    In Chinese martial arts, you are free to choose between mocking other athletes or living in a fantasy world.
    Do I have to choose?
    This is 100% TCMA principle. It may be used in non-TCMA also. Since I did learn it from TCMA, I have to say it's TCMA principle.
    We should not use "TCMA is more than combat" as excuse for not "evolving".

You can have Kung Fu in cooking, it really has nothing to do with fighting!