Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Is Bong Sao a Mistake?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by stonecrusher69 View Post
    (Bong Sao) can also be used as trap or a way of baiting the opponent .
    Actually you can use Bong Shou to bait your opponent's hand that comes in toward your raising elbow. You can then re-direct his arm to be under your other arm. It's a simple "arm drag" in wrestling.
    http://johnswang.com

More opinion -> more argument
    Less opinion -> less argument
    No opinion -> no argument

Quote Originally Posted by YouKnow
    Actually you can use Bong Shou to bait your opponent's hand that comes in toward your raising elbow. You can then re-direct his arm to be under your other arm. It's a simple "arm drag" in wrestling.
    Quote Originally Posted by T_Ray View Post
    You can ? ... Amazing. I would love to see that one.
    We essentially do this in Pin Sun. That's one option that can play off of bong is to hook the hand behind the elbow or triceps and turn the opponent (while slightly torquing/turning yourself) to take the back &/or deliver a nice shot to the exposed flank. Its part of "turning style"

Quote Originally Posted by stonecrusher69 View Post
    The mistake (Bong Sao) can also be used as trap or a way of baiting the opponent .
    If done correctly that would make you a Masterbaiter..lol
    Ha! So that's the secret of the WC masters, it all makes sense now

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mutant View Post
    We essentially do this in Pin Sun. That's one option that can play off of bong is to hook the hand behind the elbow or triceps and turn the opponent (while slightly torquing/turning yourself) to take the back &/or deliver a nice shot to the exposed flank. Its part of "turning style"
    When you do that, you usually have your left hand "above" your right Bong wrist. This way, you can use your

- left hand to parry your opponent's "wrist grabbing arm".
    - right Bong hand to "hook behind the elbow or triceps" of his "elbow grabbing arm",

and redirect his "elbow grabbing arm" to wherever that you want it to go.
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 10-08-2013 at 11:57 PM.

Its not bong sau thats the mistake...its lop sau.
    "Wing Chun is a bell that appears when rung.

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Tiger View Post
    In real fighting,I have uesd bong sau...never once lop sau.

In real fighting,I have uesd bong sau...never once lop sau.
    To further this... it is what you do after bong sau that is likely the mistake.

Going along with LFJ's idea that you should never actually stick to the opponent, I could see where one might say you will never have time to do the classic Bong/Lop sequence that we see so often in the PB videos. But even the Lop Sao is just a brief contact. So why do you feel that Lop Sao is a mistake?

Blog Entries
    It's not Bong Shou or Lop Shou that's mistake. It's the concept of "Shou" that's mistake.

You should

- think about "how many different ways that you can use your hand to punch on your opponent's face".
    - not think about "how many different ways that you can use your arm to block your opponent's punch".

The way that people think about this Shou and that Shou, it's just too "conservative" IMO.

IMHO looking to do bong lap is the mistake. After the bong the rear hand should be looking to strike. If as it comes forward the opponents arm is still in the way then it is removed using lap whilst the bong arm cycles into a strike. Too many people hunt for the the bong lap combination.
    A clever man learns from his mistakes but a truly wise man learns from the mistakes of others.

Wing Chun kung fu in Redditch
    Worcestershire Wing Chun Kuen on facebook

Quote Originally Posted by KPM View Post
    Going along with LFJ's idea that you should never actually stick to the opponent, I could see where one might say you will never have time to do the classic Bong/Lop sequence that we see so often in the PB videos. But even the Lop Sao is just a brief contact. So why do you feel that Lop Sao is a mistake?
    Its not the contact but the 'grab' where the trouble is. touch yes. grab never...cover even yes but grab no. As soon as I feel grab...I can use VT.
    I need not remind any one PB cannot grab at all with one arm. No doubt an ultimatly liberating experience.

Its not the contact but the 'grab' where the trouble is. touch yes. grab never...cover even yes but grab no. As soon as I feel grab...I can use VT.
    I need not remind any one PB cannot grab at all with one arm. No doubt an ultimatly liberating experience.
    Are you speaking of grabbing with the thumb or grabbing at all?

You can lop w/o using the thumb joint and it doesn't impede WC employment at all. Performing Lop as a thumb-wrapping grab limits you to chin na style application in many cases, so I could see your point from that perspective.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric_H View Post
    Are you speaking of grabbing with the thumb or grabbing at all?

You can lop w/o using the thumb joint and it doesn't impede WC employment at all. Performing Lop as a thumb-wrapping grab limits you to chin na style application in many cases, so I could see your point from that perspective.
    Well thats a good point. The proper 'lop' as taught to me is with a 'suicide' grip, thumb on the top...which is the closest you can come to a non commital grip. The more cover, the more risk.

you don't thumb wrap in grappling for arm locks (kimura, americana) or for toe holds. the only thumb wrap grip I can think of that is used effectively is a wrist grip in the low region (opponent's wrist in the low region rather than mid or high).

Quote Originally Posted by BPWT View Post
    was fun! Sweaty, but fun. He trained drills full-out with me for about 2 hours. We collapsed afterwards and couldn't move - the next class had to kick us out - and then we went for a few beers, and I ended up needing to call my other half
    WTF?

Last edited by guy b.; 10-10-2013 at 02:57 PM.