Thread: Thoughts on dealing with fear

Thoughts on dealing with fear

Tao Te Ching
    A wise person does not argue.
    Those who argue are not wise.

I was just chatting to someone about this but a few seconds ago! Thanks for the links!

I had an interesting chat once with Alex Kozma (teaches very rough and tumble Xingyi, Bagua, Taiji - and one of the hardest hitters I've met) where he was talking about needing to "let go of the fear of being hit."

Hawkins Cheung once said something about the need to stay calm (mental) and relaxed (physical) - even as intensity rises.

Exposure's the key!
    No mocking, tongue-in-cheek signature here... move on.

Hello,

Some of the Maxims are as follows:

Do not be too eager to strike. Do not be afraid to strike. One who is afraid of getting hit will finally be hit.

Persistent attacks will surely gain you entry. Staying on the defensive too long will surely get you into trouble
    Peace,

Dave

http://www.sifuchowwingchun.com
    Wherever my opponent stands--they are in my space

The best modern analysis of fear management and tools I've encountered as relates to self defense, combat sports, and all athletic (and even business) performance is "The Cycle of Behavior" by Coach Tony Blauer.
    Its really cool stuff and there's a LOT more to it than you may think at first, including "fear loops" and a lot of cool psychological sh1t as it relates to personal safety and other stuff. Tony is one of my coaches and the level of analysis of fear he's dissected is just awesome. This goes way beyond just remembering to breath or being used to getting hit (although that's important too of course). Check out some of his videos on the subject:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A9YDc...6530703659096C
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sx0IbOGQtfE

Live and Function in the Moment, and you will not have Fear, or the sort that makes you freeze. The feeling of a Threat is good, it prepares us for flight or fight, but Fear makes us freeze, there's a difference and it is a choice.

Most of it is imagining something bad for us in the future, that is not living in the Now, and the Now is where you will get punched in the face if you freeze up, so live in the Moment, realize it, and you will not freeze..

James

Quote Originally Posted by T_Ray View Post
    Prize for the first to find the author
    Was that Khan on Star Trek?

Quote Originally Posted by T_Ray View Post
    Prize for the first to find the author
    Dune? Perhaps?
    Tao Te Ching
    A wise person does not argue.
    Those who argue are not wise.

Quote Originally Posted by k gledhill View Post
    This my choice for those who instill fear into me and those closest to me, all others get stabbed : ) then bare hands. ; )
    LOL

Kev, you have told me a bit about yourself over the past few months, could I ask publicly whether you have suffered some serious violence in your time (beyond door work) that has left you shaken? I for one know I have and back then it took me a good year to come to terms with it. Events like that in my life have definitely influenced my thoughts on wing chun and the way I practice my wing chun currently.