Thread: reinterpretating karate in a CMA context

reinterpretating karate in a CMA context

Found this on a Japanese site, not sure if this was posted before.

Introduction:
    http://www.nifty.com/budo-ra/service/stohsei.html
    My Japanese is not good, but here's the general idea.

1.They got Su Dong Chen to analyze some of the moves in the heian kata.
    2.The analysis was based on the idea that Chinese martial arts use what Su called crossing method of indirect attack, control at first contact then attack, rather than direct attack methods popular in sports karate.
    3.Direct attack method easily led to trading punches. In real self defense situations this can be dangerous because they might be hiding a weapon.
    4.Since karate was descended from a Chinese martial art, the kata must be created with the indirect attack method in mind.

The actual video:
    http://www.nifty.com/budo-ra/meta/stohseimeta.html

What do you think?

Greetings,

I don't see anything different from what a karateka would discover from his own research, growth and development.

On and off, I research the applications of the basic Taikyoku kata. It is fun to do things like that.

mickey

Quote Originally Posted by reach View Post
    What do you think?
    There have been lots of attempts to reinterpret Karate from a CMA perspective. Chinese Goju, Chinese Kenpo, Shaolin Do....
    Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    This is 100% TCMA principle. It may be used in non-TCMA also. Since I did learn it from TCMA, I have to say it's TCMA principle.
    Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    We should not use "TCMA is more than combat" as excuse for not "evolving".

You can have Kung Fu in cooking, it really has nothing to do with fighting!

When Karate left its Okinawan birthplace, it transformed into what we know today as a punching and kicking art. I see the depth of study as positive for greater understanding based on the individual and his goals.

I would not call it reinterpretation but appreciation and knowledge of its origins, which as stated, was heavily influenced by Southern Crane styles.

Fujian and Zhejiang kung fu have names and application for all the karate moves. karate guys just don't care.
    Last edited by bawang; 10-08-2013 at 08:46 PM.

Honorary African American
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat The Lost Art of Anal Destruction™®LLC .
    Senior Business Director at TEAM ASSHAMMER consulting services ™®LLC

Okinawan karate has always maintained that it is based on the idea of a civilian self-defense system. The moves are responses to the most common types of attacks.

Japanese karate was introduced to train and prepare young people for military service in Imperial Japan. This is why Japanese training reflects so many aspects of military training. Lining up according to rank, everyone does the same thing done by count etc. They were not concerned with self-defense. If you read about Funakoshi, Gichin he was against the free sparring that became associated with Shotokan. It wasn't until after his death that his son emphasized that aspect.

Because of the roots of Judo and Kendo, Shotokan adopted their one step style sparring based on kendo's use of it and took a close range fighting style based on locks, throws, strikes into a longer distance punching/kicking only art. If you look at older okinawan styles (not talking about them changing their presentation to attract the Japanese) they did more of a flow style sparring/kumite that would have looked more like chinese two person forms.
    "God gave you a brain, and it annoys Him greatly when you choose not to use it."