Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: The 36 Chambers of the KungFuMagazine.com Forum

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    Thanks for playing.

Maybe we can do a sequel in the future.
    ...the 72 consummate quirks of kfm posters?

...the 18 basic delusions of kfm posters?

I kid...I kid!
    Kung Fu is good for you.

what chamber am I in?
    "色即是空 , 空即是色 " ~ Buddha via Avalokitesvara
    Shaolin Meditator

How many times have you read the Sutras?

Quote Originally Posted by Djuan View Post
    what chamber am I in?

Sometimes I think I'm here:

Other times I think I'm still trying to sneak in as a stowaway on the vegetable cart.

Most of the time, I think I'm in the iron head chamber. That's my favorite chamber.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

I'm always climbing in the veggie cart and then falling out of it. If I can manage the ride up the hill I'll be good to go! lol

and that 1st (35th) Chamber scene hits home, & is probably about right.
    ironically, recently been telling myself I need to read a bit of a sutra each day, and have been meaning to implement time into my mornings for it, only takes about 5 to 15 minutes.
    only book I actually own (I dont want to google sutras every day lol) is a translation by Kosei of the Lotus sutra
    its weird the more I train the more I actually feel I owe it.....to commit more time to meditating ( 坐禅 ) and reading and not just wugong.
    all the masters echo it on and on, "theres a balance to it", one hand washes the other, and I'm still working on it.

Amituofo!
    Shaolin Meditator

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post

Sometimes I think I'm here:
    this is probably my favorite scene. so many metaphors, parallels, and hidden gems of perception, awareness, and understanding.
    amazing how this movie is relevant and applicable to this day

AMITUOFO
    Last edited by Djuan; 12-29-2019 at 07:35 PM.
    Shaolin Meditator

That whole film is a metaphor of my life

this is probably my favorite scene. so many metaphors, parallels, and hidden gems of perception, awareness, and understanding.

AMITUOFO
    That being said, this is my fav scene:

That's me at work, smashing my noggin against sandbags with some midget spanking me with hand-shaped paddle rod.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

AMITUOFO
    This was my favorite scene, too. IMO, Gordon Liu was underrated as an actor. His body language and facial expressions throughout the movie really reflected the growth of the character, from awkward, confused novice to mature practitioner. Something that looks easy, but isn’t so easy to pull off onscreen like he did.

The 36th Chamber of Shaolin, for me, was all about the storyline and the training sequences. I personally never found the actual fight scenes to be spectacular, especially compared to many of director Lau Kar-Leung’s other movies. IMO, the best actual fights in the movie were between Gordon Liu and Lee Hoi-Sang, who played the senior monk with the butterfly swords.

to Gene & Jimbo

yea it's a journey that anyone who's worked hard at a skill can appreciate. Its amazing how they got him to translate that essence in the film.
    most who have experienced Shaolin training with traditional conditioning and repetition can attest to the fact that each plateau has a lesson, all triumph comes with pain, and after that, more pain. After that you build a tolerance to take what? more pain.
    It got to the point where you start to like it, like "hey I didn't know I was weak over there, let me toughen that up...." , or my favorite, "wow, I didn't know that part of my body could even hurt...." , and "I didn't know that part of my body even moved...."

I got the sense of that in the movie from Gordon, from the moment he asked to learn kung fu, there was never a dull point, orr an easy chamber, then he mastered it, and met the next challenge. It was this attitude of working to mastery, that he then carried into the battles with the senior monk, refining his knowledge until he made the three-sectional staff, and matched his senior efficiently (and yes those are my favorite 'official fight scenes' in the film as well ). Then he carried that attitude in the world, as its "own chamber".

To this day, I still find new things to learn within Songshan Shaolin alone, and I still reduce my ego more every time, embracing the new lesson with the same vigor as my first lesson.

Amituofo
    Shaolin Meditator