Thread: The White Haired Witch Of Lunar Kingdom 白发魔女传之明月天国

The White Haired Witch Of Lunar Kingdom 白发魔女传之明月天国

I'm loving 3D Fant-Asia lately, but this is going to really confuse me as I have trouble sorting Fan Bingbing and Li Bingbing (who was the white-haired witch in Forbidden Kingdom).

Fan Bingbing and Huang Xiaoming Completes Filming “White Haired Witch”
    By Karen on April 4, 2013

After 5 grueling months of filming, White Haired Witch <白发魔女传之明月天国> has completed shooting. The 3D film stars Fan Bingbing (范冰冰) in the titular role, as well as Huang Xiaoming (黄晓明) and Vincent Zhao (赵文卓). Boasting a 100 million RMB budget, White Haired Witch will be the most special-effects laden adaptation of the popular wuxia novel, The Bride With White Hair <白发魔女传>.

At a press conference held on April 2, Fan Bingbing and Huang Xiaoming spoke about their filming experience in White Haired Witch. Bona Film Group’s president, Yu Dong (于冬), producer Huang Jianxin <黄建新>, and director Jacob Cheung (张之亮) were also present.

Fan Bingbing was happy she finally had the chance to work closely with Huang Xiaoming. Though both were in 2010′s Sacrifice <赵氏孤儿> , they had few scenes together. Fan Bingbing gushed, “Huang Xiaoming is my ideal Zhuo Yihang. I have always loved watching wuxia shows and I liked Huang Xiaoming in The Return of the Condor Heroes <神雕侠侣>. Now that I have worked closely with him, I can declare he is my model actor. His eyes are so mesmerizing. Through his eyes, I can hear him telling me to jiayou!”

Huang Xiaoming praised Fan Bingbing’s versatility and professionalism. Xiaoming admired Bingbing’s ability to be both gentle and overbearing at the same time. Xiaoming revealed, “She had to film a scene where water was poured onto her. Although it was winter and she was wearing thin clothing, she tolerated the cold. Seeing her working so hard, I told myself I must be on par.”

Xiaoming’s Painful Injury

In November 2012, Huang Xiaoming had a 3-meter fall after a wire accident on the set of White Haired Witch. Suffering a fracture in two toes and his left foot, Xiaoming had to sit in a wheelchair for weeks.

Bingbing was heartbroken when she saw Xiaoming’s injury. She was almost moved to tears when he resumed work shortly after, although he was not fully recovered. The entire cast and crew showed their concern, especially when Xiaoming had to be suspended in mid-air in one scene. Xiaoming said, “When I saw everyone’s face from up there, including director Jacob Cheung, I could see their concerns and anxieties. I was really touched then, and I will never forget that.”

In addition, Bingbing responded to inquiries over her appearance in Chinese-American joint venture film, Iron Man 3. Portraying a nurse, Bingbing’s appearance will only be seen in the Chinese release of the film. Bingbing did not mind that her scenes will be removed from the Hollywood version, as it was beyond the control of artists how the final film version will be presented.

Hmm, we don't have a dedicated thread to Ronny Yu's Bride With White Hair here yet. That was one of my fav Fant-Asia flicks of the early 90s.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Pushed back to next year

China’s Bona Returns to Growth
    NOVEMBER 14, 2013 | 04:18PM PT
    Q3 profits and revenues boosted by distribution, exhibition
    Patrick Frater
    Asia Bureau Chief

HONG KONG – Profits and revenues were up in the third quarter for China’s Bona Film Group, reversing a dip at the half year. The gain was driven by growing distribution revenues and the company’s expanded exhibition interests.

Revenues in the July-Sept. 2013 period were $35 million compared with $24.6 million in the same quarter last year. Net income was $2.8 million compared to $1.3 million.

The NASDAQ-listed company, which counts 21st Century Fox as a 19.9% owner, released three films in the quarter, “Unbeatable,” (pictured) “My Lucky Star” and “Out of Inferno 3D,” and will release “Red 2” today. Gross profits from distribution were $6.2 million, a figure now overtaken by the theater sector, which delivered $8.7 million.

“The outlook for 2014 is even better as we have many strong titles in our distribution and development pipelines, the financial resources to bring more quality films to market and plans to further expand our theater network,” the company said in a statement.

The company revealed that the releases of two films have been pushed back into the first quarter of 2014 — “The White Haired Witch” and “Overheard 3.” “Mortal Instruments: City of Bones” will be released on Dec. 31, meaning that revenue will also fall into next year’s results.
    Good to know. I need to make a last minute change in the next cover story.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

An update and a teaser

Just like superhero movies all look the same, Fant-Asia is suffering from the same rut.

Huang Xiaoming Gets Reminded of Shooting by 'My Love from the Star'
    2014-03-28 11:52:37 CRIENGLISH.com Web Editor: Zhao

Chinese actor Huang Xiaoming (L) and actress Fan Bingbing (R) attend a press conference on the film "The White-Haired Witch of Luna Kingdom" held in Beijing on March 27th, 2014. [Photo: CRIENGLISH.com/Zhao Pingping]

Chinese actor Huang Xiaoming has recalled the sacrifice he made during the making of 3D Chinese action film "The White-Haired Witch of Luna Kingdom".

The actor was in the company of his co-star, Fan Bingbing, and director Jacob Cheung from Hong Kong, during a press conference for the production, which was held in Beijing on Thursday.

Huang and Fan have been friends for many years, but Huang impressed Fan with his devotion to the role he played. Huang himself also admitted he had a tough time in the process of acting for the film when he was briefly sidelined with an injury.

"I like the TV show, 'My Love from the Star,' which I've been watching recently. There is a scene in which actress Gianna Jun falls from a wire she was attached to. She gets injured and undergoes an operation. This scene is true and is an authentic depiction of what I experienced in shooting this film; the height was even the same. Both Jun and I fell from a height of about two stories. My foot was broken and was sent to hospital."

Though Huang was seriously injured, he continued acting in the film just forty days after he was hospitalized in order to prevent more of the production budget being wasted during filming.

Adapted from the Chinese novelist Liang Yusheng's book of the same name, the film is expected to come to cinemas across the country on April 25th.

by Pingping Zhao
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Delayed to August

I mentioned this in my last cover story - How Martial Arts Can Make It in Movies (MAR+APR 2014)

White Haired Witch release moved to August
    By Kevin Ma
    Wed, 09 April 2014, 13:30 PM (HKT)

[IMG]http://www.filmbiz.asia/media/BAhbB1sHOgZmSSIzMjAxNC8wNC8wOC8yMi8yMC8xNy80MDQvd2 hpdGV***FpcmVkX3dpdGNoLmpwZwY6BkVUWwg6BnA6CnRodW1i SSINNTAweDEwMDAGOwZU?suffix=.jpg&sha=8d77b3c2[/IMG]

Bona Film Group Co Ltd 博納影業集團有限公司 chairman YU Dong 于冬 announced yesterday that the release of Jacob CHEUNG 張之亮's The White Haired Witch of Lunar Kingdom 白髮魔女傳之明月天國 is being delayed from 25 Apr to early August.

The company says the main reasons for the delay is the intense competition from both local and foreign films ahead of the May Golden Week holiday. One of the most competitive release slots of the year.

Releases scheduled include Le Vision Pictures Co Ltd 樂視影業(北京)有限公司 's Iceman 3D 3D冰封俠, Beijing Enlight Pictures Co Ltd 北京光線影業有限公司's My Old Classmate 同桌的妳, Wanda Media Co Ltd 萬達影視傳媒有限公司's The Great Hypnotist 催眠大師, as well as Hollywood films like Transcendence and The Amazing Spider-Man 2.

Yu also said that the fact that both Iceman 3D and White Haired Witch are produced by HUANG Jianxin 黃建新 was another reason for the move.

Starring HUANG Xiaoming 黃曉明 and FAN Bingbing 范冰冰, the 3-D period fantasy romance is now set for release for Qixi Festival, also known as Chinese Valentine's Day, in early August. Yu says the marketing campaign will now focus on the romance aspect of the film.

Both Enlight and Wanda have had an exceptional year at the box office.

Led by Where Are We Going, Dad? 爸爸去哪兒, which made RMB694 million (US$112 million) during the Lunar New Year holiday, Enlight's four releases grossed a total of RMB716 million (US$115 million) so far this year. It expects to have another hit on 25 Apr with youth romance My Old Classmate, based on a hugely popular song by GAO Xiaosong 高曉松. Gao is also a producer on the film.

Not far behind Enlight, Wanda's three 2014 releases have grossed RMB603 million (US$97.1 million), including CHEN Sicheng 陳思誠's record-breaking romance Beijing Love Story 北京愛情故事. The closing film of this year's Beijing International Film Festival 北京國際電影節, Wanda's The Great Hypnotist is produced by Lost in Thailand 人再囧途之泰囧 (2012)'s XU Zheng 徐崢, who co-stars in the film with Karen MOK 莫文蔚. It opens on 29 Apr.

Bona is the third most successful independent distributor of 2014 so far with RMB578 million (US$93 million) from its two releases this year. It had a huge hit during the Lunar New Year holiday with WONG Jing 王晶's From Vegas to Macau 賭城風雲 (RMB523 million, US$84.1 million).

With White Haired Witch's move to the summer, Bona's next major release is Alan MAK 麥兆輝 and Felix CHONG 莊文強's crime thriller Overheard 3 竊聽風雲3, currently set for release in late May.

International sales of Overheard 3 and White Haired Witch are represented by Hong Kong-based Distribution Workshop Ltd 發行工作室有限公司.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

finally, an update

Friday, July 11, 2014
    THE WHITE-HAIRED WITCH OF LUNAR KINGDOM Gets An IMAX Push, New Posters And Featurettes!

Between November of 2012 and now, it's pretty safe to say that the production of director Jacob Cheng's 3D fantasy action epic, The White-Haired Witch Of Lunar Kingdom has had its fair share of issues. The five-month filming process was completed earlier last year with the goal of releasing it domestically last December until it was pushed to three months ago. Needless to say, the film was pushed back again and is now headed for a theatrical premiere on the week of July 31.

It's likely that the production extensions may have been due to a number of post-production issues, and I'm only guessing based on my own vague knowledge of big blockbuster productions, plus, I'm illiterate when it comes to reading Mandarin-language media. But at any rate, the film is finally on its way and filmgoers in China will get to observe the latest cinematic re-introduction of author Liang Yusheng's classic late 1950's tale.

SYNOPSIS:

In the twilight of the Ming Dynasty, the Imperial court is plagued by corruption as tyrants rule over the land. With the Manchurians preying on a weakened empire, war is imminent. The situation is even worse near the northwest border, where widespread famine is rapidly claiming lives. To save the victims from further suffering, sorceress Jade Raksha fights the soldiers that oppress people for their own gain. As payback, local government officials decide to pin the murder of Governor Zhuo Zhonglian on Jade, turning her and the members of her cult into wanted fugitives for a crime they didn’t commit. Meanwhile, Wudang sect’s Master Ziyang intends to nominate disciple Zhuo Yihang to become the next sect leader, sending him to the capital to present the Red Bolus to the Emperor as royal tribute. However, the emperor dies after consuming the Red Bolus, and the Imperial Guards are quickly dispatched to capture Yihang……

With an August 1 release date now solid, Distribution Workshop has a new minute-long promo spot, a behind-the-scenes featurette and a production featurette that divulges a little more into one of the issues the film faced - namely the wire-stunt that caused lead actor Huang Xiaoming's foot injury, which forced him wheelchair-bound for a number of weeks. In addition, the studio has also rolled out a new IMAX poster and banner, and character posters with the final date imprinted. Check them all out below and click each for larger viewing.

Posting the other vids next (forum only allows one vid per post)
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Another vid

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Another vid

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Opened on Chinese Valentine's Day

I really hope I get to see this on the big screen in 3D
    Thu, 07 August 2014 00:31 AM (HKT)
    Lunar Kingdom bewitches China box office
    By Kevin Ma

[IMG]http://www.filmbiz.asia/media/BAhbB1sHOgZmSSIzMjAxNC8wOC8wNC8xNC8zOS81Ni82MjUvd2 hpdGV***FpcmVkX3dpdGNoLmpwZwY6BkVUWwg6BnA6CnRodW1i SSINNTAweDEwMDAGOwZU?suffix=.jpg&sha=4ee6c3a5[/IMG]

Tue, 05 August 2014, 09:30 AM (HKT)
    Box Office News

After a three-month delay, The White Haired Witch of Lunar Kingdom 白髮魔女傳之明月天國 ruled the Chinese Valentine's Day weekend box office in China.

Accounting for approximately 31.2% of all screenings nationwide, the 3-D period fantasy made RMB218 million (US$35.3 million) in its first four days. Almost half that number, RMB100 million (US$16.2 million), came from 2.50 million admissions during the Qixi Festival (a.k.a. Chinese Valentine's Day) on Saturday.

The Bona Film Group Co Ltd 博納影業集團有限公司 release, based on the LIANG Yusheng 梁羽生 wuxia novel that Ronny YU 于仁泰 adapted as The Bride With White Hair 白髮魔女傳 (1993) — gave Hong Kong director Jacob CHEUNG 張之亮 the biggest opening weekend of his career. Eight years ago, Battle of Wits 墨攻 (2006) took RMB21.0 million (US$3.40 million) in its first four days for a final gross of RMB67.0 million (US$10.8 million).

Three years ago, Wilson YIP 葉偉信's remake A Chinese Ghost Story 倩女幽魂 (2011) — also based on a fantasy classic — made RMB72.5 million (US$11.7 million) in its first six days in cinemas. It made RMB144 million (US$23.2 million) during its theatrical run.

Total box office revenue for this year's Chinese Valentine's Day was RMB235 million (US$38.0 million), representing a year-on-year increase of 64.8% from last year's RMB140 million (US$22.7 million). However, the festival fell on a Tuesday last year, as opposed to this year's Saturday.

One year ago, Pacific Rim topped the box office with RMB35.1 million (US$5.68 million), followed by Tiny Times 1 小時代 with RMB34.3 million (US$5.55 million), Eva JIN 金依萌's One Night Surprise 一夜驚喜 with RMB29.2 million (US$4.72 million) and The Palace 宮 鎖沉香 with RMB22.8 million (US$3.69 million).

HAN Han 韓寒's The Continent 後會無期 dropped to second place over the weekend with a week-on-week drop of approximately 29.3%. Between Friday and Sunday, the road trip drama made RMB155 million (US$25.1 million) for a 11-day gross of RMB507 million (US$82.1 million). The Continent has now made more money than any entry in GUO Jingming 郭敬明's Tiny Times series.

Hong Kong director Barbara WONG 黃真真 had another career best this weekend with Girls 閨蜜, which opened third-placed. The romantic drama, which opened on Wednesday afternoon, made RMB104million (US$16.8 million) in its first five days in cinemas, including RMB69.7 million (US$11.3 million) between Friday and Sunday.

Last August, Wong's tearjerker The Stolen Years 被偷走的那五年 made RMB65.7 million (US$10.6 million) in its first four days in cinemas for a final gross of RMB149 million (US$24.1 million).

Brick Mansions, the Hollywood remake of French film District B13, opened in fourth place. The flat-fee basis American import made RMB47.0 million (US$7.61 million) in its first three days in cinemas.

3-D domestic animated fantasy Dragon Nest: Warriors' Dawn 龍之谷 破曉奇兵, based on a popular online game, opened in fifth place with RMB34.7 million (US$5.61 million) in its first four days on release. An executive of the game's company recently said that the company is aiming to release a sequel in late 2015.

In Hong Kong, Marvel's Guardians of the Galaxy was the top film over the weekend. The first Marvel character origin film since Captain America: The First Avenger (2011), the space adventure made HK$10.1 million (US$1.30 million) from 43 locations in its first four days.

Three years ago, The First Avenger made HK$9.50 million (US$1.22 million) in its first four days. It made HK$20.0 million (US$2.58 million) during its theatrical run.

The top local film was Media Asia Group Holdings Ltd 寰亞傳媒集團有限公司's Break Up 100 分手100次. Opening on Friday (in a day-and-date with the Mainland China release), the romantic comedy made HK$2.7 million (US$349,000) in its first three days, including three days of early previews. Directed by Lawrence CHENG 鄭丹瑞, it stars Ekin CHENG 鄭伊健 and Chrissie CHAU 周秀娜 as an on-again off-again couple who opens a café together.

20th Century Fox's The Fault in Our Stars opened in fourth place, making HK$2.47 million (US$319,000) in its first four days. Including numbers from early previews, the teen romance drama has made HK$2.57 million (US$332,000).

Doraemon: New Nobita's Great Demon - Peko and the Exploration Party of Five 映画ドラえもん 新・のび太の大魔境 ~ペコと5人の探検隊~ opened in sixth place. From 26 locations, the animated adventure made HK$2.19 million (US$283,000) in its first four days in cinemas. Last year, Doraemon the Movie: Nobita's Secret Gadget Museum - Museum Adventure 映画ドラえもん のび太のひみつ道具博物館 opened with HK$1.48 million (US$190,000) from 39 screens for a total gross of HK$4.2 million (US$543,000).

From just 18 locations, The White-Haired Witch of Lunar Kingdom – released only in 2-D in Hong Kong – made HK$236,000 (US$30,500) in its first four days in cinemas.

Last week's top film Dawn of the Planet of the Apes dropped to second place with HK$2.81 million (US$363,000) between Thursday and Sunday. It has made HK$34.6 million (US4.47 million) after three weekends.

Step Up: All In dropped to fifth place in its second weekend with HK$2.38 million (US$307,000) between Thursday and Sunday. The Golden Scene Co Ltd 高先電影有限公司 release has made HK$10.5 million (US$1.36 million) after 11 days.

In Taiwan, Step Up: All In was the top film over the weekend. The dance film made NT$23.5 million (US$23.5 million) from 75,100 admissions in 20 Taipei locations in its first three days. Local media reported that it made approximately NT$68 million (US$2.27 million) nationwide.

Two years ago, Step Up Revolution (2012) opened with NT$20.2 million (US$680,000) for a total gross of NT$82.5 million (US$2.75 million) in the capital.

Marvel's Guardians of the Galaxy opened in second place. From 22 locations in Taipei, the sci-fi film made NT$17.8 million (US$594,000) in its first four days. The space adventure performed lower than Marvel's sequels in the past three years.

Opening in third place, Barbara Wong's Girls was the top Chinese-language film, making NT$5.58 million (US$186,000) from 23,500 admissions in 16 Taipei cinemas in its first three days. The romantic drama opens in Hong Kong this Thursday.

Last September, Wong's The Stolen Years opened with NT$4.34 million (US$145,000) from 18,500 admissions in Taipei. It made a total of NT$34.6 million (US$1.15 million) in the capital.

Opening in just two cinemas in Taipei, Japanese time-traveling drama A Bolt from the Blue 晴天の霹靂 made NT$128,000 (US$4,270) from 586 admissions in its first three days.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

123 million yuan

Martial arts fantasy rules China's box office
    English.news.cn 2014-08-12 15:34:01

BEIJING, Aug. 12 (Xinhua) -- "The White Haired Witch of Lunar Kingdom," a domestic martial arts fantasy, grossed 123 million yuan (about 20 million US dollars) to lead China's box office in the week ending Aug. 10.

"Brick Mansions," an action movie starring late actor Paul Walker, came in second by earning 84.7 million yuan in the week, according to a report by China Film News on Tuesday.

Not far behind was "The Continent," a romantic comedy by writer-turned-director Han Han, which took in 79 million yuan. The work, which is Han's directorial debut, has grossed a total of 597.8 million yuan since its debut on July 24.

Fourth place was taken by "Girls," a romantic drama directed by Hong Kong director Barbara Wong, known for her bold interpretation of sex and relationships from a female perspective. It pulled in 69.6 million yuan in the week.

Rounding up the top five list was "The Legend of Qin," an adventure fantasy that debuted on Aug. 8 , with 37.8 million yuan, according to the report.
    Innerestin that BM is doing ok in China. That makes sense to me. I wonder how many people in China ever saw B-13

Witch tops second weekend in China

By Kevin Ma
    Tue, 12 August 2014, 10:00 AM (HKT)
    Box Office News

The White Haired Witch of Lunar Kingdom 白髮魔女傳之明月天國 topped the box office for the second week over a quiet weekend in China.

The Bona Film Group Co Ltd 博納影業集團有限公司 production made an additional RMB45.8 million (US$7.44 million) between Friday and Sunday, representing an approximately 75% week-on-week drop. After 11 days in cinemas, the Jacob CHEUNG 張之亮 film has made RMB343 million (US$55.7 million).

Opening in fourth place last week, Brick Mansions moved up two places in its second weekend with RMB40.7 million (US$6.61 million) between Friday and Sunday – a week-on-week drop of approximately 13.5%. After 10 days in cinema, the English-language remake of French film District B13 has made RMB131 million (US$21.3 million), surpassing its US20.4 million North America gross.

The top new film this weekend was domestic 3-D animated film The Legend of Qin 秦時明月大電影之龍騰萬里. Based on the animated television series, the period adventure opened in third place with RMB36.8 million (US$5.98 million) from 1.02 million admissions in its first three days. It accounted for approximately 13.8% of all screenings over the weekend.

Opening in fifth place was Yugo & Lala 2 神秘世界歷險記2. Released in 2-D, the domestic animation sequel made RMB31.5 million (US$5.12 million) from 1.05 million admissions in its first three days in cinemas.

Despite having approximately 13.1% of all screening, period action film Brotherhood of Blades 繡春刀 opened outside the top five. Between Friday and Sunday, the film made an estimated RMB28.0 million (US$4.55 million) for an estimated total of RMB35 million (US$5.68 million) after four days.

After three weekends in cinemas, HAN Han 韓寒's The Continent 後會無期 has made RMB587 million (US$95.4 million). It is expected to cross the RMB600 million (US$97.5 million) mark this week.

In Hong Kong, Luc BESSON's Lucy won the weekend box office with a huge opening. Locally distributed by Golden Scene Co Ltd 高先電影有限公司 and Panorama Entertainment Co Ltd 鐳射娛樂有限公司, the action fantasy made HK$7.08 million (US$913,000) from 38 locations in its first four days in cinemas.

Two years ago, the director's The Lady (2011) – also distributed locally by Golden Scene – opened with HK$1.32 million (US$170,000) from 16 screens. It made a total of HK$4.6 million (US$593,000)during its theatrical run.

The 2014 reboot of Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles opened in third place with HK$3.41 million (US$440,000) from 35 locations in its first four days in cinemas. The fantasy action film was released in both 2-D and 3-D.

With a week-on-week drop of only 0.5%, Media Asia Group Holdings Ltd 寰亞傳媒集團有限公司's Break Up 100 分手100次 remained the top local film over the weekend. From 37 locations, the romantic comedy made an additional HK$2.65 million (US$342,000) between Thursday and Sunday. Including early previews, the Lawrence CHENG 鄭丹瑞 film has made HK$7.03 million (US$907,000) after two weekends in cinemas.

Barbara WONG 黃真真's Girls 閨蜜 opened in fourth place. From 27 locations, the UA Films release made HK$1.81 million (US$234,000) in its first four days in cinemas, including HK$68,000 (US$8,770) from early previews.

Last year, Wong's The Stolen Years 被偷走的那五年 opened with HK$1.94 million (US$250,000) (including early previews). It made a total of HK$18.1 million (US$2.34 million) during its theatrical release.

Last week's top film Guardians of the Galaxy was bumped to second place, making an additional HK$4.93 million (US$636,000) from 43 locations between Thursday and Sunday. After 11 days in cinemas, the Marvel film has made HK$18.6 million (US$2.4 million).

In Taiwan, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles was the top film over the weekend. In its first three days, the film made NT$15.0 million (US$500,000) from 60,800 admissions in 20 Taipei locations.

Warner Brothers' Into the Storm opened in third place. In 20 Taipei cinemas, the disaster film made NT$7.92 million (US$264,000) from 32,600 admissions in its first three days.

Girls remained the top Chinese-language film, making an additional NT$5.15 million (US$172,000) from 16 Taipei locations between Friday and Sunday. After 10 days in cinemas, the comedy-drama has made NT$16.6 million (US$554,000) in the capital.

From just three Taipei cinemas, Crayon Shin-chan: Serious Battle! Robot Dad Strikes Back 映画クレヨンしんちゃん ガチンコ!逆襲のロボとーちゃん made NT$432,000 (US$14,400) from 1,821 admissions in its first three days.

From just three screenings in 21 Taipei locations, the Giddens-produced romantic comedy Café. Waiting. Love 等一個人咖啡 made NT$1.37 million (US$45,800) from 5,747 admissions – an average of 91.2 admissions for each screening. Cinemas in both Taiwan and Hong Kong will continue to hold one preview showing per day until its official opening on Friday.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

dated review

But it has a trailer.

Published: Thursday July 31, 2014 MYT 12:00:00 AM
    Updated: Thursday July 31, 2014 MYT 10:19:43 AM
    Adapted from a novel, 'The White Haired Witch Of Lunar Kingdom' is a timeless classic
    by seto kit yan

Star-crossed lovers: Zhuo Yihang (Huang Xiao Ming) and Lian Nishang (Fan Bingbing) in a scene from Chinese wuxia-fantasy romance flick The White Haired Witch Of Lunar Kingdom, helmed by Hong Kong film director Jacob Cheung.

Director Jacob Cheung revisits a classic Chinese story with The White Haired Witch Of Lunar Kingdom.

Huang Xiaoming and Fan Bingbing were so convincing together that they really look like they may be dating, according to director Jacob Cheung.

The two actors play lovers in their first screen collaboration, The White Haired Witch Of Lunar Kingdom.

In a recent phone interview from China, Cheung said, “They are such gorgeous people and they have been friends for so long that they they look extremely compatible together; although in real life, each have their own partners. ”

The Hong Kong-born film director revealed that he was approached by his good friend, Taiwanese actor Nicky Wu, to help secure the rights to Liang Yusheng’s novel The White Haired Witch for film, television series, and online games three years ago. Wu himself starred in the TV series which aired in 2012, while Cheung agreed to take on the film version.

“I did ask Nicky Wu to reprise his role in the film, but he declined, as he felt that since he was already starring in the TV series, it would seem like an embarrassing exercise in self-promotion,” shared Cheung, who is best known for his 1993 Hong Kong drama Cagemen, which won him best director and best screenplay at the Hong Kong Film Awards.

Huang Xiao Ming plays Wudang Sect warrior Zhuo Yihang in a scene from Chinese wuxia-fantasy romance flick The White Haired Witch of Lunar Kingdom, helmed by Hong Kong film director Jacob Cheung.

According to the director, The White Haired Witch Of Lunar Kingdom is closer to the original tale adapted from the popular wuxia novel. However, the 54-year-old filmmaker conceded that it was not easy to cast for the movie due to the legendary status of Ronny Yu’s two-part The Bride With White Hair (1993) classic starring Hong Kong’s Leslie Cheung and Taiwan’s Brigitte Lin as the star-crossed lovers.

In Cheung’s reimagining of the cult classic, Huang plays Wudang Sect Taoist swordsman Zhuo Yihang and Fan plays the titular White-haired Witch Lian Nishang. The 100 million yuan (RM 51.36mil) budget fantasy flick also stars Vincent Zhao, Wang Xuebing and Ni Dahong.

Most people were wary of being compared to the 1993 Zhuo Yihang immortalized by Hong Kong legend Leslie Cheung, so Cheung was glad that Huang felt differently. “Fortunately, Huang Xiao Ming had no such misgivings. He really looked forward to playing Zhuo Yihang, as he felt the role really suited him very well,” he said.

Cheung was also asked to comment on Huang’s much-publicised foot injury, sustained after the heartthrob from China fell three metres and fractured two toes on his left foot while filming a wire scene. “We took all the proper safety measures, with nets and padding in places that people would not see. Our own stunt team had tested the scene more than 30 times before Huang Xiaoming got on the wires,” Cheung recalled.

“He managed to do some 29 takes safely, but he wasn’t satisfied with any of them, so he decided to do some more. The unfortunate incident happened during the 32nd take. The problem was not in the wires, but the clasp. It goes to show that one can never tell when things will go wrong.

Fan Bingbing plays White-haired Witch Lian Nishang in Chinese wuxia-fantasy romance flick The White Haired Witch Of Lunar Kingdom, helmed by Hong Kong film director Jacob Cheung.

“An injury like that normally requires a 100-day rest period, so we had to rework our shoots around it, including his blue screen scenes. The doctor also advised him against flying as the cabin pressure would affect the healing process, so Huang could not make it to outdoor shoots like those in Wudang Shan, Hengdian, Jinsu and Yinchuan. He even had to take the train from Beijing to Shanghai in order to attend promotional activities for The Last Tycoon (2012) with Chow Yun Fat,” said the director, who was glad he managed to preserve his original ideas despite the mishap.

“After that incident, we were even more careful during the action scenes, as even Fan Bingbing insisted on doing her own stunts,” concluded Cheung.

The White Haired Witch Of Lunar Kingdom opens today.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Our latest sweepstakes

Enter to win KungFuMagazine.com's contest for White Haired Witch on DVD! Contest ends 6:00 p.m. PST on 3/19/15.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Our winners are announced

See our White-Haired-Witch-winners thread.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips