Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Health Benefits of Santi Shi

Quote Originally Posted by rett View Post
    Miqi, you pretentious wanker. You don't represent "real knowledge." You're a just another seeker with an attitude. Your bullying shows just how insecure you really are. And half the time what you say is so pretentious it sounds like you think you're the fat valkyrie in something by Wagner.
    Yes I am a bully, with a serious attitude. It is not pleasant to train with me. However, the "real knowledge" isn't mine - it's well known information already presented by senior yiquan experts. I reiterate it, but I don't originate it - or where I do, I say so specifically. It is reassuring that we are in opposition to one another on most things.

Early in the morning while the body is just waking up, it feels right to stand still for a while.
    Yes, this is true for me too.

Quote Originally Posted by Miqi View Post
    Yes I am a bully, with a serious attitude. It is not pleasant to train with me. However, the "real knowledge" isn't mine - it's well known information already presented by senior yiquan experts. I reiterate it, but I don't originate it - or where I do, I say so specifically. It is reassuring that we are in opposition to one another on most things.

Get over yourself dude.

Get over yourself dude.
    Did you know that Wang Xiang Zhai was known as "Old man spear and shield"? It's a metaphor for being a contradictory personality - a very "funny bird", as Cui Rui Bin once said. I guess this makes me old lady spear and shield - a funny bird indeed.

Yeah, well he didn't have your chainmail tits.

Yeah, well he didn't have your chainmail tits.
    Now "chainmail tits" is a nickname I can live with. Anyway, no, he didn't - but he did have to deal with people like you.

That's as far as I want to go in bickering with you. All the best.

Looking at current Chinese martial artists, I mostly get the feeling that it is all completely wrong. As for those who rely on Chinese martial arts to make their living, they just should not feel ashamed of studying again from others after they have started teaching. They should not be hard on themselves in spirit, but try hard to follow those who excel over them. They must keep in mind that they should not mislead and harm their students. Nowadays, Chinese martial artists don't know where the spirit of combat science is. While they have no alternative but to make their living out of it, surely they should not instruct people with mystery and violence. That way they might not commit the great error of going as far from the truth as the heaven is from the deep sea. But then again, the weaknesses of these men are too numerous and they cannot be easily influenced over a short period of time. I only hope that they will become conscious of the truth and start to self-examine themselves bit by bit, nothing more.

Now "chainmail tits" is a nickname I can live with. Anyway, no, he didn't - but he did have to deal with people like you.

That's as far as I want to go in bickering with you. All the best.
    That's fine by me. You've been bickering with others and acting like such a self-absorbed bullying twat that I'm sure you've got your fill for today. Ta ta and cheerio, peace bro, and love out

Che style xingyiquan master Che Xingqian discusses san ti and zhan zhuang:

"7. We do not practice ‘stillness’ [jing gong']. ‘Stillness’ can refer to posture holding, as in zhan zhuang; it can also refer to practices where thought stops or the intention is focused on one place. Of course, zhan zhuang must be practiced; as the saying has it ‘practicing martial arts without holding postures is just but messing around’. San Ti, in particular, encapsulates the postural requirements of xingyi. ‘Of the myriad methods, none leaves San Ti’ ‘Mastering San Ti is halfway to success’. Whilst San Ti should not be held for long periods, it can be done several times a day. Each time you hold San Ti, you should only hold it for a maximum of 10 minutes, but this could be repeated two or three times a day. If you hold San Ti for an hour everytime you train, not only are you losing precious training time, it can also damage the nerves and capillaries in the legs. Overdoing zhan zhuang is one of the reasons why a lot of martial artists suffer leg and knee problems. As for your intention staying in one place, this should only happen in health qigong when your intention rests on one spot – it only needs to do so for a matter of seconds (10 or so is fine), not minutes. There is no health benefit if the intention stays in one place for a long time."

Source: http://wulinmingshi.wordpress.com/ca...le-xingyiquan/

There's some other stuff in this interview that is good, some that is plainly wrong, particularly the recommendation against bag work - but it's clear that old Che is open to scientific proof that can show if his current ideas are incorrect.

Sal Canzonieri discusses the importance of body posture briefly in one of his early writings:

Quote Originally Posted by Sal Canzonieri
    Two of the main essentials that martial arts concerns itself with, the posture of the body and the way by which the respiration is manipulated, overlap with the above mentioned bodily functions. The circulation of the blood and lymph, because of the obstacles by which weight opposes it (forces of gravity), is effected by the manner in which the body is maneuvered (stretched, twisted, raised, lowered, bent, etc.) so as to make a physical change in the hydraulic mechanisms of the body.
    Now - in the article you will see he mentions that there are nei gong methods that are found in most Chinese arts, which assist in this postural alignment. Since it is very hard to correct people in motion, standing post exercises are a great way to utilize this posture-adjustment function.

Although the english translation below could use some further details, Master Shi De Jian, a former XingYi, pigua, Bagua, Chen Taiji practitioner (now Shaolin Monk) explicates the basic idea of Xu Zhuang, (meaning tranquil standing), shaolin most basic foundational Zhan Zhuang:
    Quote Originally Posted by Master De Jian from Agnes Chan's book Shaolin Chanwuyi
    [noting that Master De Jian first emphasizes the importance of dietary adjustment, and chan mind practice] • Tranquil Stand: As Master Dejian said, “Tranquility is the essence of all Shaolin Wushu.” He also mentioned that some grandmasters in the Shaolin Temple only practice tranquil stand and could achieve very high levels of proficiency [in Wushu]. The tranquil stand looks easy, but it takes time to realize the essence of it. To practice tranquil stand, one should find a place with fresh air early in the morning and stand squarely on both feet to about the shoulders’ width. Raise the hands gently in front of the chest, like a standing monkey. The eyes and mouth close slightly, push the tongue to the roof of the oral cavity gently, and direct the center of gravity forward to the front part of the foot. Stand quietly for five to thirty minutes.
    While he recommends five to thirty minutes, I personally found that 30-1 hour in my beginning weeks/months was instrumental in some of the greater postural adjustments and other benefits I received. I've been at that (consistently daily) for a couple years, and when I have time do it considerably longer (30-1 hour) as mind practice. My knee health has improved, although it is hard to say if it is only related to the standing or moving/stepping practices (likely both).

As to the other part that Sal Canzonieri mentions- respiration regulation, I don't know that Sal was specifically referring to breath practice/breathing practice, but Master De Jian also explicates various natural breathing practices that combine these practices.

My understanding is that these can aid in the goal of bringing the mind to an "extreme point" of focus where all distracted thoughts are stilled.
    Last edited by Matthew; 10-18-2013 at 09:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    I assume this thread is talking about "health benefit" of ZZ. IMO, the dynamic ZZ has more "health benefit" than the static ZZ.

Here is another example of static ZZ:

http://imageshack.us/a/img705/1382/13taibo1.jpg

and dynamic ZZ.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4LTr...ature=youtu.be
    I wasn't talking about health benefits, but there are many health benefits also.

Sounds like Miqi understands the benefits of proper standing, and his observation of most chinese arts is pretty accurate also.

Blog Entries
    Cui Rui Bin on zhan zhuang. Quite interesting:

http://apittman.com/blog/teaching/no...training-diary
    Can you see the similiarity between YiQuan ZZ and SC ZZ?

YiQuan:

http://imageshack.us/a/img36/4668/r9pw.jpg

SC:

http://imageshack.us/a/img802/7051/13tbzz.jpg

YiQuan:

http://imageshack.us/a/img23/8666/k6jq.jpg

SC:

http://imageshack.us/a/img573/7109/necksurrounding.jpg
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 10-18-2013 at 01:44 PM.
    http://johnswang.com

More opinion -> more argument
    Less opinion -> less argument
    No opinion -> no argument

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew View Post
    Sal Canzonieri discusses the importance of body posture briefly in one of his early writings:

Now - in the article you will see he mentions that there are nei gong methods that are found in most Chinese arts, which assist in this postural alignment. Since it is very hard to correct people in motion, standing post exercises are a great way to utilize this posture-adjustment function.

Although the english translation below could use some further details, Master Shi De Jian, a former XingYi, pigua, Bagua, Chen Taiji practitioner (now Shaolin Monk) explicates the basic idea of Xu Zhuang, (meaning tranquil standing), shaolin most basic foundational Zhan Zhuang:

While he recommends five to thirty minutes, I personally found that 30-1 hour in my beginning weeks/months was instrumental in some of the greater postural adjustments and other benefits I received. I've been at that (consistently daily) for a couple years, and when I have time do it considerably longer (30-1 hour) as mind practice. My knee health has improved, although it is hard to say if it is only related to the standing or moving/stepping practices (likely both).

As to the other part that Sal Canzonieri mentions- respiration regulation, I don't know that Sal was specifically referring to breath practice/breathing practice, but Master De Jian also explicates various natural breathing practices that combine these practices.

My understanding is that these can aid in the goal of bringing the mind to an "extreme point" of focus where all distracted thoughts are stilled.
    And then I'll end up like Sal Con-zonieri? Sometimes the way I phrase things makes me sound like I'm from a Wagner opera. What it is, is I edit out the swear words - I'm from a council estate, so I like choice language. When you edit them back in, it creates a whole different meaning. For example, I've eidted out the swear word from in front of the phrase Sal Con-zonieri. And the laugh after.

But of course. I should imagine Yiquan "borrowed" these postures from shuai chiao. I'm a big shuai chiao fan myself - and my old coach had enormous respect for SC. I still practice some basic SC moves myself.

Perhaps everyone can agree on this statement: "If you stand still, don't do dead standing."

So what is "live" ZZ or Santishi as opposed to "dead"?

(The thread starter was asking in terms of health more than quan I believe.)
    Last edited by rett; 10-19-2013 at 12:42 AM.