Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 17

Thread: Proper Combat Stance

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Shell Beach, CA, USA
    Posts
    6,664
    Blog Entries
    16

    Proper Combat Stance

    Every TCMA style has it's special combat stance. In SC, the following posture is used. It's quite low stance with forward lean. Both arms are stretching out and moving inward circles to protect the center from outside in.

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6B5VLKS8nuc

    The striking art combat posture may be different from the grappling art combat posture.

    http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=...electedIndex=0

    Do you think both postures may share some common ground such as:

    - low stance?
    - forward lean?
    - hollow chest?
    - hunch back?
    - ...

    Your thought?
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 10-16-2013 at 05:04 PM.
    http://johnswang.com

    More opinion -> more argument
    Less opinion -> less argument
    No opinion -> no argument

  2. #2
    http://nysanda.wordpress.com/2013/09...ing-structure/

    there is some video in here as well
    Chan Tai San Book at https://www.createspace.com/4891253

    Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    well, like LKFMDC - he's a genuine Kung Fu Hero™
    Quote Originally Posted by Taixuquan99 View Post
    As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    Every TCMA style has it's special combat stance. In SC, the following posture is used. It's quite low stance with forward lean. Both arms are stretching out and moving inward circles to protect the center from outside in.

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6B5VLKS8nuc
    long fist has multiple stances. this is called small qinna stance.
    Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    The striking art combat posture may be different from the grappling art combat posture.
    wing chun and tan tui use the same fighting stance. outer appearance is meaningless.
    Last edited by bawang; 10-16-2013 at 06:38 PM.

    25th generation inner door disciple of Chen Style Practical Wombat Method
    Officially certified by Ethiopian Orthodox patriarch Abune Mathias
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat™®LLC Practical Wombat Method. international academy retreat

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    Every TCMA style has it's special combat stance. In SC, the following posture is used. It's quite low stance with forward lean. Both arms are stretching out and moving inward circles to protect the center from outside in.

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6B5VLKS8nuc

    The striking art combat posture may be different from the grappling art combat posture.

    http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=...electedIndex=0

    Do you think both postures may share some common ground such as:

    - low stance?
    - forward lean?
    - hollow chest?
    - hunch back?
    - ...

    Your thought?
    Most stances are for solo training only.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Augusta, GA
    Posts
    5,096
    You stand any particular way for more than a fraction of a second, and I pile drive you into the sidewalk.
    The weakest of all weak things is a virtue that has not been tested in the fire.
    ~ Mark Twain

    Everyone has a plan until they’ve been hit.
    ~ Joe Lewis

    A warrior may choose pacifism; others are condemned to it.
    ~ Author unknown

    "You don't feel lonely.Because you have a lively monkey"

    "Ninja can HURT the Spartan, but the Spartan can KILL the Ninja"

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Shell Beach, CA, USA
    Posts
    6,664
    Blog Entries
    16
    Quote Originally Posted by Robinhood View Post
    Most stances are for solo training only.
    Not talking about training stance. We are talking about combat stance here.

    Do people use "cross stance" that you have right leg forward but left hand forward? I like it very much. Since I'm in "compressing" mode, my back hand is ready to strike out.

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jjHx...ature=youtu.be
    http://johnswang.com

    More opinion -> more argument
    Less opinion -> less argument
    No opinion -> no argument

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    NorthEast Region, N. America
    Posts
    467
    Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    Not talking about training stance. We are talking about combat stance here.

    Do people use "cross stance" that you have right leg forward but left hand forward? I like it very much. Since I'm in "compressing" mode, my back hand is ready to strike out.

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jjHx...ature=youtu.be
    I have not used the "cross stance" before but now I will think of using it for sure!!

  8. #8
    Stance is determined by application. Grappling only stance will be different from striking only stance, which will be different that combination grappling/striking such as MMA.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Great Lakes State, U.S.A.
    Posts
    1,625
    True Dat.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Shell Beach, CA, USA
    Posts
    6,664
    Blog Entries
    16
    Quote Originally Posted by LaRoux View Post
    Stance is determined by application. Grappling only stance will be different from striking only stance, which will be different that combination grappling/striking such as MMA.
    Agree! If you want to

    - shoot at your opponent's leg, your body will be lower.
    - punch at your opponent's head, your body will be higher.

    But there must be some common ground such as.

    - forward lean,
    - hollow chest,
    - hunch back.
    - ...
    http://johnswang.com

    More opinion -> more argument
    Less opinion -> less argument
    No opinion -> no argument

  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    Agree! If you want to

    - shoot at your opponent's leg, your body will be lower.
    - punch at your opponent's head, your body will be higher.

    But there must be some common ground such as.

    - forward lean,
    - hollow chest,
    - hunch back.
    - ...
    Its all realitive to the other persons position, if done correctly, otherwise you are clueless., and there is a lot more to it that is more important than position of feet.

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by LaRoux View Post
    Stance is determined by application. Grappling only stance will be different from striking only stance, which will be different that combination grappling/striking such as MMA.
    I third this.

    Depends on the ruleset. Pure grappling stances have different posture and weight distribution than does boxing, than does kickboxing, than does MMA. Even withing grappling, there's a significant difference. The upright posture of judo is asking for trouble in freestyle wrestling.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Shell Beach, CA, USA
    Posts
    6,664
    Blog Entries
    16
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Noob View Post
    The upright posture of judo is asking for trouble in freestyle wrestling.
    Does Judo still have a rule that the competition only starts after both partners have grips on each other?

    Many years ago, there was a Judo tournament in Taiwan. Before the Judo clinch was formed, the guy just dived in and took his opponent down by single leg. The referee didn't know whether he should call that a throw or not. How can you win if the competition haven't even started yet?

    Not sure what's the Judo rules is used today.
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 10-18-2013 at 02:32 PM.
    http://johnswang.com

    More opinion -> more argument
    Less opinion -> less argument
    No opinion -> no argument

  14. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    Does Judo still have a rule that the competition only starts after both partners have grips on each other?

    Many years ago, there was a Judo tournament in Taiwan. Before the Judo clinch was formed, the guy just dived in and took his opponent down by single leg. The referee didn't know whether he should call that a throw or not. How can you win if the competition haven't even started yet?

    Not sure what's the Judo rules is used today.
    Sounds like the guy diving in already downed himself, if his knee or anything else touched the ground first.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Shell Beach, CA, USA
    Posts
    6,664
    Blog Entries
    16
    Quote Originally Posted by Robinhood View Post
    Sounds like the guy diving in already downed himself, if his knee or anything else touched the ground first.
    Not sure about Judo rules but I assume 1 knee down is OK.
    http://johnswang.com

    More opinion -> more argument
    Less opinion -> less argument
    No opinion -> no argument

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •