Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Do you pull your leg back after kicking?

Quote Originally Posted by -N- View Post
    You especially will see that in point sparring. It's all about speed and playing tag when it's light contact. No point in following through with combos when the refs call break on every clash. And if you leave your foot out without making heavy contact, you just get grabbed.
    If you connect with a heavy thrust kick, the retraction is not crucial, I like the follow thru when there is connection, retraction may be handy should you miss, however.

I prefer thrusting kicks to snapping kicks, but snap kicks do serve their purpose...of course if your point sparring you won't be using them correctly anyway...
    Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    This is 100% TCMA principle. It may be used in non-TCMA also. Since I did learn it from TCMA, I have to say it's TCMA principle.
    We should not use "TCMA is more than combat" as excuse for not "evolving".

You can have Kung Fu in cooking, it really has nothing to do with fighting!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mickey View Post
    Do you realize that your strategy is still hands leading legs?
    It depends on the distance. If my hand can reach to my opponent's wrist, I won't both to kick. If the distance is far, I would use "knee stomp" or "foot sweep" to move in. To me, kick is to move in.

The following drill is quite interest. If you can look at your opponent's face without looking down when you do that, the moment that you detect your opponent's eyes looks down, the moment that you punch on his face.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yOZwBOf34rs
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 10-22-2013 at 06:47 PM.
    http://johnswang.com

More opinion -> more argument
    Less opinion -> less argument
    No opinion -> no argument

Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    I prefer thrusting kicks to snapping kicks, but snap kicks do serve their purpose...of course if your point sparring you won't be using them correctly anyway...
    Too many bad habits from point sparring. And people carry them over to other sparring without realizing.

If you connect with a heavy thrust kick, the retraction is not crucial, I like the follow thru when there is connection, retraction may be handy should you miss, however.

If you are making full contact, even a snap kick 'thrusts'. The energy and extension going into the person/target must be spent before it can be retracted, if you choose to do so. It cannot be as fast as snap kicking the air or lightweight kicking pads; at least the retraction can't be.

Someone can still easily retract a kick and come forward almost as smoothly. For example, if you use ball-of-foot front kick to the abdomen, your whole body is still moving forward anyway. The retraction won't be 'picture-perfect' if you made contact, but you can still bring it back a bit, then put it forward as you step in, pretty much in one motion. But with a cross kick, for example, you don't retract as you step through.

Hands can set up kicks, and kicks can set up hands.
    Last edited by Jimbo; 10-22-2013 at 07:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    If you are making full contact, even a snap kick 'thrusts'. The energy and extension going into the person/target must be spent before it can be retracted, if you choose to do so. It cannot be as fast as snap kicking the air or lightweight kicking pads; at least the retraction can't be.

Someone can still easily retract a kick and come forward almost as smoothly. For example, if you use ball-of-foot front kick to the abdomen, your whole body is still moving forward anyway. The retraction won't be 'picture-perfect' if you made contact, but you can still bring it back a bit, then put it forward as you step in, pretty much in one motion. But with a cross kick, for example, you don't retract as you step through.

Hands can set up kicks, and kicks can set up hands.
    What he said
    "The true meaning of a given movement in a form is not its application, but rather the unlimited potential of the mind to provide muscular and skeletal support for that movement." Gregory Fong

Do you do the karate push snap kick where you hit with the ball of your foot or do you prefer hitting with the top of the foot?

Quote Originally Posted by Spiked View Post
    Do you do the karate push snap kick where you hit with the ball of your foot or do you prefer hitting with the top of the foot?
    I usually use Thai style teep as my front kick....occasionally I will use Karate/kung fu snapping kick with ball of the foot, for closing distance.

Instep is only good for kicking groin, so I don't use it in sparring....
    This is 100% TCMA principle. It may be used in non-TCMA also. Since I did learn it from TCMA, I have to say it's TCMA principle.
    We should not use "TCMA is more than combat" as excuse for not "evolving".

You can have Kung Fu in cooking, it really has nothing to do with fighting!

I think it is important to do both, depending on the situation. If I always follow in, and my opponents sees this, I will be open to a counterstrike when entering. If my opponent doesn't know which I'll do, and I retract as they respond as though I'm entering, I can respond to his action by attacking where he becomes open.

If I always retract, and my opponent sees that, he can try to move in and arrive just before I'm fully retracted and capitalize on this.