Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: MMA Killed Kung Fu?

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    MMA has had a more adverse effect on western boxing in my opinion.
    No doubt. Many boxing coaches are now teaching hands for MMA gyms. It's the best avenue for them in many places.
    Boxing still seems to be able to bring in a lot more money, though....
    Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    This is 100% TCMA principle. It may be used in non-TCMA also. Since I did learn it from TCMA, I have to say it's TCMA principle.
    Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    We should not use "TCMA is more than combat" as excuse for not "evolving".

You can have Kung Fu in cooking, it really has nothing to do with fighting!

MMA lacks killing power

It only has KO power and power until the tap. No deaths in MMA, right? That would be bad for the sport.

Seriously however, MMA has dominated the newsstands. The only non-MMA print magazines on the newsstands nowadays (assuming you can even find a decent newsstand) are Black Belt (which is half MMA nowadays anyways), Tai Chi, and us. From the newsstand measure, if MMA killed anything, it would be Karate and TKD.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

man, there tons of traditional kung fu schools all over the world. MMA didn't kill sh1t.
    it did however cause some schools to change direction and get with the times.

MMA produces spousal abuse

The state that resembles a middle finger.
    I don't think it killed TCMA, I think it's pointed out some gapping flaws, but has also taken some gems or is acquiring them from TCMA and adapting them within it's bounds. evolution, evolution, evolution always
    Originally posted by Bawang
    i had an old taichi lady talk smack behind my back. i mean comon man, come on. if it was 200 years ago,, mebbe i wouldve smacked her and took all her monehs.
    i am manly and strong. do not insult me cracker.

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    From the newsstand measure, if MMA killed anything, it would be Karate and TKD.
    MMA didn't even know it was fighting some of the "TCMA" that's out there.

people always make lame excuses when the fighting footage from their classes is a slop-fest

none of the people in these clips are professionals, and only one has even had a sport fight, and only 2 of them

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-VAufGeqm1I
    Chan Tai San Book at https://www.createspace.com/4891253

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    well, like LKFMDC - he's a genuine Kung Fu Hero™
    Quote Originally Posted by Taixuquan99 View Post
    As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    Seriously however, MMA has dominated the newsstands. The only non-MMA print magazines on the newsstands nowadays (assuming you can even find a decent newsstand) are Black Belt (which is half MMA nowadays anyways), Tai Chi, and us. From the newsstand measure, if MMA killed anything, it would be Karate and TKD.
    Gene do most of the barns and nobles carrying kung fu tai? the one out in long island didn't have it. beside the mma and bjj they had a tkd and traditional fighting arts mag

Quote Originally Posted by lkfmdc View Post
    people always make lame excuses when the fighting footage from their classes is a slop-fest

none of the people in these clips are professionals, and only one has even had a sport fight, and only 2 of them

Nice clip. The guy with the black under armour shirt on threw a nice crisp combo. He looks new to takedown defense. Or perhaps it was a drill for that purpose? We used to do drills where one person could only strike and the other could only do takedowns. I had a 14 year old very nearly knock me out doing that once.

Also, that girl towards the end has some fantastic MT.
    It is better to have less thunder in the mouth and more lightning in the hand. - Apache Proverb

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    Quote Originally Posted by wiz cool c View Post
    I was in a barns and noble yesterday in long island new York. first time I have been back in the states in 5 years. the first thing I did was go right to the sports section of the magazine stand, and to my surprise no kung fu tai chi magazine, about three mma mags and a grappling mag. then latter to the martial art book section, I think I saw two or three kung fu books at least.

then I met my first kung fu teacher I ever had. an American guy from my home town, we hung out and chatted .one of the first thing he said[kung fu is dead, mma killed it] if anyone wants to learn to fight they just go to mma, ...... I thought this happened to some extent ,but not to the point that kung fu would be wiped out. how about the kung fu school owners here. are you guys doing ok?
    Long Island, ya say?Hmmm..well, my school is doing better than ever, and all the full-time, traditional Kung-Fu schools I know are doing fine, if not better in the last ten years.
    Certainly not dead, not by a longshot.
    "My Gung-Fu may not be Your Gung-Fu.
    Gwok-Si, Gwok-Faht"

"I will not be part of the generation
    that killed Kung-Fu."

....step.

I wish

Quote Originally Posted by wiz cool c View Post
    Gene do most of the barns and nobles carrying kung fu tai? the one out in long island didn't have it. beside the mma and bjj they had a tkd and traditional fighting arts mag
    It's market dependent, so each B&N makes it's own decisions based on point-of-sale results. Some might never have had us on their newsstand. With major chains, magazines have to buy in to their newsstands and its an investment that doesn't always pay back. Basically, you invest $10K+ and the chain will add a certain number of issues to new markets, but if you fail to make your quota (usually 40-50%), they don't carry the next issue. It's an antiquated system, one of the many reasons that newsstands are dying in America. We have not invested in a B&N insertion program in some time, so it's sort of a death of a thousand cuts.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

nice technical sparring clip, crisp skills and no one trying to kill each other,and everyone wearing the appropriate protective gear to ensure no one gets hurt.....whenever I see tcma clips they are normally at the extreme ends of the sparring spectrum ; either way to much contact for the skill level of the guys involved and the protection they are using, or no contact compliant stuff that simply never works in a free setting, what this clip shows is how easy it is to work real skills without people killing each other all you need is decent coaching and proper gear......its not that hard

The state that resembles a middle finger.
    what this clip shows is how easy it is to work real skills without people killing each other all you need is decent coaching and proper gear......its not that hard
    you would think but I've seen people on here say that gloves, boxing or mma, are not practical and teach bad habits. as for coaching, seems like most are scared to come into the modern era.
    i had an old taichi lady talk smack behind my back. i mean comon man, come on. if it was 200 years ago,, mebbe i wouldve smacked her and took all her monehs.
    i am manly and strong. do not insult me cracker.

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonzbane76 View Post
    you would think but I've seen people on here say that gloves, boxing or mma, are not practical and teach bad habits. as for coaching, seems like most are scared to come into the modern era.
    I spend too much time on Facebook, because I wanted to "like" this post
    Chan Tai San Book at https://www.createspace.com/4891253

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    well, like LKFMDC - he's a genuine Kung Fu Hero™
    Quote Originally Posted by Taixuquan99 View Post
    As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

Nice clip! Very typical of a school that emphasizes sport fighting, rather than self-defense.

Take away the amount of space that they can run around in so that they must hit or be hit continuously, make them fight for ten to fifteen minutes straight (no breaks, timeouts, no rounds), do not allow clinching as a means of resting and make them fight one opponent after another without a break in-between. Then see if your students can avoid a "slop-fest".
    Last edited by mooyingmantis; 10-22-2013 at 05:00 PM.
    Richard A. Tolson
    https://www.patreon.com/mantismastersacademy

There are two types of Chinese martial artists. Those who can fight and those who should be teaching dance or yoga!

53 years of training, 43 years of teaching and still aiming for perfection!

Recovering Forms Junkie! Even my twelve step program has four roads!