Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: MMA Killed Kung Fu?

MMA is the best thing to happen to Kung Fu in a long time. It is forcing people to look at reality, or be resigned to the Wing Chun forum.

But seriously, you can adopt the realistic training of Kung Fu, preserve the art and be relevant, or you can live a fairy tale and be a joke.

Last night I went to a Muay Thai show. Two sanshou fighters fought and each won their match by TKO. I went to ask how they came to do sanshou, there is none around here...their coach had learned TCMA and sanshou...he said, "We knew it worked, it only needed some minor adjustments."

Kung Fu is alive and relevant to his two fighters at least....I believe there are more.
    Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    This is 100% TCMA principle. It may be used in non-TCMA also. Since I did learn it from TCMA, I have to say it's TCMA principle.
    We should not use "TCMA is more than combat" as excuse for not "evolving".

You can have Kung Fu in cooking, it really has nothing to do with fighting!

Quote Originally Posted by wiz cool c View Post
    that is very good to hear, are you a school owner?
    Yes, I am. I have practiced martial arts for about 45 years and taught for 35 years in Indiana and Ohio. The last decade that I have taught, I have only charged other instructors. All others can train without a fee.

My students are always looking for people to train with/against. If you are ever in or passing near North Canton, Ohio, please look us up. Anyone that has a school within a reasonable distance that would like to invite my students to come and spar, we would be honored to accept the invitation.

In my school we practice mantis boxing. We use both ancient and modern training methods.

I can tell you which kung fu schools in my area don't have a clue about fighting and which have some of the toughest fighters that I have seen. Sadly, the clueless ones are the majority.

I believe that kung fu schools will always survive because we have the most to offer over the course of one's lifetime. Exercise, strength building, flexibility, self-defense, sport fighting, forms, weapons, Chinese medicine and Chinese philosophy/religion. We are a cradle to grave art.
    Richard A. Tolson
    https://www.patreon.com/mantismastersacademy

There are two types of Chinese martial artists. Those who can fight and those who should be teaching dance or yoga!

53 years of training, 43 years of teaching and still aiming for perfection!

Recovering Forms Junkie! Even my twelve step program has four roads!

Quote Originally Posted by mooyingmantis View Post
    Yes, I am. I have practiced martial arts for about 45 years and taught for 35 years in Indiana and Ohio. The last decade that I have taught, I have only charged other instructors. All others can train without a fee.

My students are always looking for people to train with/against. If you are ever in or passing near North Canton, Ohio, please look us up. Anyone that has a school within a reasonable distance that would like to invite my students to come and spar, we would be honored to accept the invitation.
    I like your business model, and your open door policy. By removing the necessity of student income in making overhead, do you find you attract those more willing to go hard, at least more so than other TCMA schools? Or rather, do you find you can go harder without losing too much of what would otherwise be a timid student base, in favor of those more willing to come in and bang?

Those who want to learn to fight and have some capacity as a fighter for whatever reason have many traditional options to choose from. MMA is now one of those popular options. Kungfu offers many other benefits as do a number of other cultural schools of thought/practice. Different times and space but Kungfu is more popular now, internationally than ever, special thanks to the WWW Viewer's Association. http://www.blackbeltmag.com/category.../?topicid=9327

Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    MMA is the best thing to happen to Kung Fu in a long time. It is forcing people to look at reality, or be resigned to the Wing Chun forum.

But seriously, you can adopt the realistic training of Kung Fu, preserve the art and be relevant, or you can live a fairy tale and be a joke.

Last night I went to a Muay Thai show. Two sanshou fighters fought and each won their match by TKO. I went to ask how they came to do sanshou, there is none around here...their coach had learned TCMA and sanshou...he said, "We knew it worked, it only needed some minor adjustments."

Kung Fu is alive and relevant to his two fighters at least....I believe there are more.
    mma is the best thing that happened to kung fu. anybody that complains and miss the good ol days are aging hippy nerd poosy.

Honorary African American
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat The Lost Art of Anal Destruction™®LLC .
    Senior Business Director at TEAM ASSHAMMER consulting services ™®LLC

Quote Originally Posted by bawang View Post
    mma is the best thing that happened to kung fu. anybody that complains and miss the good ol days are aging hippy nerd poosy.
    I have to agree with this.
    This is 100% TCMA principle. It may be used in non-TCMA also. Since I did learn it from TCMA, I have to say it's TCMA principle.
    We should not use "TCMA is more than combat" as excuse for not "evolving".

You can have Kung Fu in cooking, it really has nothing to do with fighting!

it is the opposite in reality, but I like that name tightly whitey cause in china cause of our size it fits tightly ,you know with the women there and all
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ecwRObqxUQ8

IS YOU LOL
    Last edited by bawang; 10-20-2013 at 04:19 PM.

Honorary African American
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat The Lost Art of Anal Destruction™®LLC .
    Senior Business Director at TEAM ASSHAMMER consulting services ™®LLC

Quote Originally Posted by SoCo KungFu View Post
    I like your business model, and your open door policy. By removing the necessity of student income in making overhead, do you find you attract those more willing to go hard, at least more so than other TCMA schools? Or rather, do you find you can go harder without losing too much of what would otherwise be a timid student base, in favor of those more willing to come in and bang?
    First, my student base is limited. I only take students age 13 and up. I feel that what I teach is inappropriate for children. I also limit some material to ages 18 and above.

Second, I limit the number of students that I take at any one time. I teach EVERY class personally and work hands on with each student individually. Not really something one can easily do with a larger class.

Third, every student is told at the time that they join they I will receive payment in their sweat. Train hard, accept bitter or leave! I don't need students who will be an embarrassment to me or the art. So, yes my students train hard or I ask them to leave. And yes, I have told individuals to leave.

My students are quite diverse in why they come. Most desire self-defense, some also are interested in fitness and philosophy. Regardless of why they come, every student must do conditioning, a minimum number of forms (I only require five at most) and sparring. We spar probably five out of eight classes. Here are our sparring rules:

1. Students may wear as much gear as they desire. Mouth guards, cups, MMA gloves, and head gear with shield are required.

2. Punching, kicking, gouging, locking, throwing and grappling are permitted to everywhere except the neck, knees and back.

3. Grabbing may be done limit-lessly to any part of the body. We are a mantis school after all.

4. Everyone spars everyone else regardless of sex or weight class.

5. If you learn a weapon, you will spar with that weapon versus any other weapon that I choose.

No other kung fu school that I know of in Northeastern Ohio spars with the same open rule set that we do. NONE! If another does, I hope that they correct me here.

Finally, two kung fu schools that I believe deserve recognition here: Ho Chun (Gene Chicoine's shuaijiao school) and the Shaolin Kung Fu Institute (Gino Belfiore/John Ervin) are two of the toughest kung fu schools in Northeastern Ohio and definitely stand out as schools that represent true fighting TCMA.
    Richard A. Tolson

There are two types of Chinese martial artists. Those who can fight and those who should be teaching dance or yoga!

Why can't the TCMA striking art systems also use this model to develop the striking skill?

Do we always have to start our TCMA training from this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TBvF6r6DOvc

or from this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PlTbbzgjJZA
    Not all TCMA start from forms.

Why can't the TCMA striking art systems also use this model to develop the striking skill?

Do we always have to start our TCMA training from this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TBvF6r6DOvc

or from this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PlTbbzgjJZA
    http://youtu.be/7EsJf5_JFC8

Study this form closely.

Quote Originally Posted by mooyingmantis View Post
    First, my student base is limited. I only take students age 13 and up. I feel that what I teach is inappropriate for children. I also limit some material to ages 18 and above.

Second, I limit the number of students that I take at any one time. I teach EVERY class personally and work hands on with each student individually. Not really something one can easily do with a larger class.

Third, every student is told at the time that they join they I will receive payment in their sweat. Train hard, accept bitter or leave! I don't need students who will be an embarrassment to me or the art. So, yes my students train hard or I ask them to leave. And yes, I have told individuals to leave.

My students are quite diverse in why they come. Most desire self-defense, some also are interested in fitness and philosophy. Regardless of why they come, every student must do conditioning, a minimum number of forms (I only require five at most) and sparring. We spar probably five out of eight classes. Here are our sparring rules:

1. Students may wear as much gear as they desire. Mouth guards, cups, MMA gloves, and head gear with shield are required.

2. Punching, kicking, gouging, locking, throwing and grappling are permitted to everywhere except the neck, knees and back.

3. Grabbing may be done limit-lessly to any part of the body. We are a mantis school after all.

4. Everyone spars everyone else regardless of sex or weight class.

5. If you learn a weapon, you will spar with that weapon versus any other weapon that I choose.

No other kung fu school that I know of in Northeastern Ohio spars with the same open rule set that we do. NONE! If another does, I hope that they correct me here.

Finally, two kung fu schools that I believe deserve recognition here: Ho Chun (Gene Chicoine's shuaijiao school) and the Shaolin Kung Fu Institute (Gino Belfiore/John Ervin) are two of the toughest kung fu schools in Northeastern Ohio and definitely stand out as schools that represent true fighting TCMA.

Those sparring sessions sound awesome. Can you post some video?

Quote Originally Posted by bawang View Post
    The funny thing about that video is I hear a little Chinese in there. The part where they ask him if he had one or two girlfriends sounded like it was in Chinese.

I was in a barns and noble yesterday in long island new York. first time I have been back in the states in 5 years. the first thing I did was go right to the sports section of the magazine stand, and to my surprise no kung fu tai chi magazine, about three mma mags and a grappling mag. then latter to the martial art book section, I think I saw two or three kung fu books at least.

then I met my first kung fu teacher I ever had. an American guy from my home town, we hung out and chatted .one of the first thing he said[kung fu is dead, mma killed it] if anyone wants to learn to fight they just go to mma, ...... I thought this happened to some extent ,but not to the point that kung fu would be wiped out. how about the kung fu school owners here. are you guys doing ok?
    Was traditional gung fu ever big outside of Chinese communities in the 80s, 90s, and 2000s?

Killed?

I doubt it. Kung fu never was a ring sport.
    MMA has had a more adverse effect on western boxing in my opinion.

MMA bouts are fast becoming bigger draws than boxing matches and especially at the amateur levels where mma has become very popular.

Even traditional boxing clubs had to go out and start white collar boxing clubs to generate interest. lol Those are now as common as pigeons.

P.S Kung Fu is the secret well that mma visits when it wants to change up the game a little by being unpredictable.
    Last edited by David Jamieson; 10-21-2013 at 07:52 AM.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Quote Originally Posted by SavvySavage View Post
    Those sparring sessions sound awesome. Can you post some video?
    Below is a clip of various beginner and intermediate sparring sessions from 2013.

Since we train mantis boxing, I emphasize fast combinations and "sticking" to our opponent. To train this we fight on an eight foot round carpet. No where no run, no time to pause.

These guys are still a bit sloppy, but again they are beginners and beginner/intermediates. None of them are interested in becoming professional fighters. They just want to be able to handle themselves if they need to defend themselves. I think they are showing progress.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AsArk...ature=youtu.be
    Richard A. Tolson