Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: MMA Killed Kung Fu?

more shit talking from wannabes

Quote Originally Posted by mooyingmantis View Post

make them fight for ten to fifteen minutes straight
    How do you have any idea how long they are sparring for? Easy answer, you don't.... you have ZERO idea how long my people spar for

do not allow clinching
    yes, because in "real fights" clearly don't have clinching

do you have any idea how serious an ass clown you are......
    Chan Tai San Book at https://www.createspace.com/4891253

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    well, like LKFMDC - he's a genuine Kung Fu Hero™
    Quote Originally Posted by Taixuquan99 View Post
    As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

Quote Originally Posted by lkfmdc View Post
    more shitdo you have any idea how serious an ass clown you are......
    You are probably the lowest character martial artist I have ever encountered. I tried to talk to you like you are a mature adult. I should have known better.

As I stated earlier, your put downs would only hurt if I had any respect for you, which I don't. So, I won't waste anymore time on you.
    Richard A. Tolson
    https://www.patreon.com/mantismastersacademy

There are two types of Chinese martial artists. Those who can fight and those who should be teaching dance or yoga!

53 years of training, 43 years of teaching and still aiming for perfection!

Recovering Forms Junkie! Even my twelve step program has four roads!

You are a complete waste of time,

and a complete FRAUD, with your three students in a room teaching them complete slop

and drinking the koolaid telling them it is all deadly stuff

like this
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oJC9GdxBvWk

Kung Fu isn't dead, it's just been turned into a cartoonish shadow of its former self by clowns like you....
    Last edited by lkfmdc; 10-22-2013 at 05:20 PM.

As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

Nice clip! Very typical of a school that emphasizes sport fighting, rather than self-defense.

Take away the amount of space that they can run around in so that they must hit or be hit continuously, make them fight for ten to fifteen minutes straight (no breaks, timeouts, no rounds), do not allow clinching as a means of resting and make them fight one opponent after another without a break in-between. Then see if your students can avoid a "slop-fest".
    "Sloppiness" will increase with increased contact. Many good technicians turn sloppy under heavy pressure, even when they can maintain great technique under moderate pressure. I believe the only real fix for that is lots of experience under heavy pressure, to expect anyone to look like a pro in that environment.

"Clinching as resting" makes no sense to me. We are not talking about boxing, there is no rest in a Muay Thai clinch. Clinching may save you from eating punches, but that's when the knees start. The grappling that ensues, combined with clinch striking, is far more taxing than striking and moving. The clinch is the last place you want to be if your tired.

I'm glad to see your students are sparring, it is critical to the art.
    Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    This is 100% TCMA principle. It may be used in non-TCMA also. Since I did learn it from TCMA, I have to say it's TCMA principle.
    Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    We should not use "TCMA is more than combat" as excuse for not "evolving".

You can have Kung Fu in cooking, it really has nothing to do with fighting!

out of interest how is this
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oJC9GdxBvWk
    anyway related to what we see in this clip??
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AsArkm55b_0

Quote Originally Posted by TenTigers View Post
    Long Island, ya say?Hmmm..well, my school is doing better than ever, and all the full-time, traditional Kung-Fu schools I know are doing fine, if not better in the last ten years.
    Certainly not dead, not by a longshot.
    that is great very glad to here that, because i would like to open a school one day myself not in long island though,i was just there to meet my dad, but got to meet my first kung fu teacher ever again and we got to do some freestyle drills,was a lot of fun

You are a complete waste of time,

and a complete FRAUD, with your three students in a room teaching them complete slop
    whats wrong with only having 3 students?

from what i've seen on here your always aggressive to pretty much anyone who speaks to you, is it a new york thing? lol
    I guess we are who we are

The people that appear the happiest seemed to figure out their place in the world. Boxing is for boxing, Judo is for Judo, BJJ is for BJJ, & MMA is for MMA.

The same can be said if you're into Kung Fu or Wushu. Train hard and be your best.

Well said, Mighty B

And then there are those who have found out that their place in the world is no more than being a troll on our forum here.

And bless them for that.

Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Quote Originally Posted by wiz cool c View Post
    I was in a barns and noble yesterday in long island new York. first time I have been back in the states in 5 years. the first thing I did was go right to the sports section of the magazine stand, and to my surprise no kung fu tai chi magazine, about three mma mags and a grappling mag. then latter to the martial art book section, I think I saw two or three kung fu books at least.

then I met my first kung fu teacher I ever had. an American guy from my home town, we hung out and chatted .one of the first thing he said[kung fu is dead, mma killed it] if anyone wants to learn to fight they just go to mma, ...... I thought this happened to some extent ,but not to the point that kung fu would be wiped out. how about the kung fu school owners here. are you guys doing ok?

Mma is helpful to kung fu I believe. Kung fu is cool because it has that keeping with tradition while embracing the new mentality. Know what I mean? So people want to fight and but also want to know what the ancestors were doing. It gives you a connection to something ancient.

Below is a clip of various beginner and intermediate sparring sessions from 2013.

Since we train mantis boxing, I emphasize fast combinations and "sticking" to our opponent. To train this we fight on an eight foot round carpet. No where no run, no time to pause.

These guys are still a bit sloppy, but again they are beginners and beginner/intermediates. None of them are interested in becoming professional fighters. They just want to be able to handle themselves if they need to defend themselves. I think they are showing progress.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AsArk...ature=youtu.be
    Isn't this what sparring is? Sparring is an approximation of fighting. They are going at an agrees upon pressure to try and work on skills but also try to win.
    I like the clip.

people always make lame excuses when the fighting footage from their classes is a slop-fest

none of the people in these clips are professionals, and only one has even had a sport fight, and only 2 of them

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-VAufGeqm1I
    They are hitting very light in this clip. Do you guys do harder sparring too or is this the general level of contact?

I'd say so far, our striking seems to have some effect....
    Last edited by lkfmdc; 10-23-2013 at 12:06 PM.

I'd say so far, our striking seems to have some effect....
    I meant during class sparring. Obviously in competition you hit hard.

clean under pressure....