Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What do you know about Sifu Colin Ward (Leeds, UK)

What do you know about Sifu Colin Ward (Leeds, UK)

Hi Guys,

I'm up north at the moment and am considering joining Sifu Colin Wards pure wing chun school in Leeds. I did a lot of research and found out that he has been practicing for a long time and is certified by Ip Chun. However there's hardly anything out there on the internet about him.

Other sifus that trained with Ip Mans sons such as Shaun Rawcliffe, Sam Kwok and James Sinclair seem to be far more well known and there's a lot of info out there about them. Colin Wards profile seems to be surprisingly low considering his northern wing chun association is pretty big with loads of branches and considering his affiliation with Ip Chun.

My question is, what do you know about Colin? Have you ever trained under him? What's he like?

Quote Originally Posted by strike101 View Post
    Hi Guys,

I'm up north at the moment and am considering joining Sifu Colin Wards pure wing chun school in Leeds ....
    Welcome to the forum.

No disrespect intended, but "pure Wing Chun" ? That would be like the holy grail!

A nice fishing hook OP. You need to change the bait for there are not many bottom dwellers that hang here. Be honest and tell us who you are and then maybe you will get a response and an honest one at that.

Oh yeah, why don't you pay Sifu Ward £12 per month, then you can access his online learning platform and discover for yourself. All your answers for just £12!!!

http://www.wingchunonline.net/

And a simple youtube search will get you this
    Last edited by Paddington; 10-21-2013 at 02:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Paddington View Post
    A nice fishing hook OP. You need to change the bait for there are not many bottom dwellers that hang here. Be honest and tell us who you are and then maybe you will get a response and an honest one at that.
    I honestly don't know what you mean by bait. I'm just a prospective wing chun student and after doing a lot of research i found colin ward on www.purewingchun.co.uk. I see that he's ip chun certified but other than a couple of YouTube videos, nobody really seems to know much about him unlike guys like James sinclair and shaun Rawcliffe. Just wondering if there's a reason for his relatively low profile.

Also thanks for the link to that online training site but i was just curious as to what other peoples experience is like training with him.

Quote Originally Posted by wtxs View Post
    Welcome to the forum.

No disrespect intended, but "pure Wing Chun" ? That would be like the holy grail!
    Thank you!

I meant his website is called www.purewingchun.co.uk. I didn't mean his wing chun is pure

[...] after doing a lot of research i found colin ward on www.purewingchun.co.uk. [...]
    Call me cynical but typing four words into a search engine is not a lot of research.

Quote Originally Posted by Paddington View Post
    Call me cynical but typing four words into a search engine is not a lot of research.
    I really don't know why you're being an ******* mate. I didn't say i typed four words into Google and that's my research done. I was researching wing chun schools around the UK and found some pretty well respected sifus such as colin ward, sam kwok, shaun Rawcliffe, James sinclair. While there are plenty of forum discussions and articles on kwok, Rawcliffe and sinclair, i found surprisingly little about colin ward (apart from a couple YouTube vids) despite him being ip chun certified and running a pretty large wing chun school. I was merely wondering why that is and wanted to know if anyone has experience of training with him or if they know anything about him.

Anyways it's clear you're not really in a mood to help me but if anyone on the forum knows much about him I'd appreciate a response

What do you know about Sifu Colin Ward (Leeds, UK)
    Well, I know that he's got a gimicky rip-off website and is starving for some attention

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kLxDaG9vzXE#t=203

Personally, I've never heard of the guy.

IMO, if you're interested in the art in you need to:

a) Research (including visiting, of course) a few different lineages to see which offers what you're looking for (maybe Ip Chun Wing Chun is what you're looking for, or maybe WSL Ving Tsun is more your flavor, etc)

b) Once you've decided, find a class/teacher within that lineage that you feel suits your needs - not all teachers are equal, even within a group/association, etc.
    No mocking, tongue-in-cheek signature here... move on.

Quote Originally Posted by BPWT View Post
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kLxDaG9vzXE#t=203

Personally, I've never heard of the guy.

IMO, if you're interested in the art in you need to:

a) Research (including visiting, of course) a few different lineages to see which offers what you're looking for (maybe Ip Chun Wing Chun is what you're looking for, or maybe WSL Ving Tsun is more your flavor, etc)

b) Once you've decided, find a class/teacher within that lineage that you feel suits your needs - not all teachers are equal, even within a group/association, etc.
    cheers good advice

Quote Originally Posted by T_Ray View Post
    Oh and Btw, in my lineage Ving Tsun is not seen as an "art". it is a science.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    You must have a profound distinction in mind!

[QUOTE=strike101;1253269]Hi Guys,

My question is, what do you know about Colin?
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I really don't want to know!

Well, 'art' as in 'martial art'.
    No mocking, tongue-in-cheek signature here... move on.

Quote Originally Posted by BPWT View Post
    Well, 'art' as in 'martial art'.
    All WC, VT, WT will have elements of both art and science. It's a science in that it is an logical, integrated system built on sound concepts. But it is also an art of individual expression as each indiviual adapts and employs the "system" according to his own attributes and abilities.

Now to the OP -- Sorry, I can't help.
    "No contaban con mi astucia!" --el Chapulin Colorado

http://www.vingtsunaz.com/
    www.nationalvt.com/