Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I'm giving yoga a try this week

I'm giving yoga a try this week

There's a vinyasa yoga place not far from my home and the prices are decent. I'm going to give it a try on Thursday to see how I like it.

I know I should expect it to be extremely difficult at first. You guys have any other recommendations for a noobie?
    It is better to have less thunder in the mouth and more lightning in the hand. - Apache Proverb

don't wear yoga pants.
    Quote Originally Posted by lkfmdc View Post
    point sparring is a great way to train

Hehe, I should go by compression pants. Would be sweet...
    It is better to have less thunder in the mouth and more lightning in the hand. - Apache Proverb

tip#2 - Always maintain eye contact.
    Quote Originally Posted by lkfmdc View Post
    point sparring is a great way to train

Bathe

Before and after.

Seriously, the holy bath is a critical part of Hindu devotion. Plus you don't want to train next to someone with stinky feet, so be considerate.

Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Vinyasa is awesome because you transition and change levels a lot. Is it hot? Either way, bring a towel because your mat gets slick.
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    As a mod, I don't have to explain myself to you.

Thanks guys.

It's not the hot class. There IS a hot vinyasa class offered, but I won't be able to make it to that one.

The only thing I know about the place is that the owner is a teacher under Baron Baptiste. Which means nothing to me, really.

Baptiste is a major proponent of power yoga

It is usually practiced at hot temperatures.

Like with CMA, lineage is a key factor to understanding what you might be training. Such is that nature of tradition.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Quote Originally Posted by JamesC View Post
    Thanks guys.

It's not the hot class. There IS a hot vinyasa class offered, but I won't be able to make it to that one.

The only thing I know about the place is that the owner is a teacher under Baron Baptiste. Which means nothing to me, really.
    Hot Vinyasa is like an MMA class without the contact. A few times, I have been unable to walk out right away because I was exhausted and dehydrated.
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    It is usually practiced at hot temperatures.

Like with CMA, lineage is a key factor to understanding what you might be training. Such is that nature of tradition.
    So...good, then?

MK, I think i'll wait until I am sure about it before I commit to something that intense

Greetings,

Yoga is part of Baron Baptiste's family tradition, beginning with his late father. He is no New Age creme puff. You should have a real good time.

mickey

Well, you aren't training with Baptiste himself, are you?

So...good, then?
    I'm sure it will be fine for starters. Baptiste is well regarded as a yoga maverick. However, just like with MA, the students of a teacher can deviate, depending upon the certification criteria.

I only dabbled in hot yoga, but I really liked it. I like it hot. When I studied yoga in Pune, it was hot. When I studied in Rishikesh, it was cool, and that made it more challenging.

Shoot, I should develop Hot Shaolin....
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Also, wear compression shorts under your normal shorts. No one wants to see your balls.

Quote Originally Posted by MasterKiller View Post
    Also, wear compression shorts under your normal shorts. No one wants to see your balls.
    Haha. That's one thing I thought of immediately. I went and bought myself a cheap pair last night.

I'm getting pretty excited about it. Seems like it will be a lot of fun and quite a challenge. I'm trying to convince my wife to start with me.

Haha. That's one thing I thought of immediately. I went and bought myself a cheap pair last night.

I'm getting pretty excited about it. Seems like it will be a lot of fun and quite a challenge. I'm trying to convince my wife to start with me.
    Negative, Ghost Rider. A room full of hot, sweaty flexible women will be your secret sanctuary. Leave momma at home.