Thread: They're opening a UFC gym in my area.

They're opening a UFC gym in my area.

My old instructor(instructor under greats such as ajarn chai, inosanto, Pak Suwanda, Larry hartsell) was bought out and has been asked to teach the advanced classes. I'm sad about it and happy for him. He has a lot to teach and I hope this helps him do it to a broader audience.

Does anyone have experience in a licensed UFC gym? I don't practice anymore, but I have some interested friends.

I wonder if it works like any other franchise or if they have some type of requirements for their gyms. I'm not worried about them learning at the advanced level, but I am more concerned about the entry level stuff they might teach. And I'm sure it comes with an expensive fee for that acronym.
    It is better to have less thunder in the mouth and more lightning in the hand. - Apache Proverb

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    They opened up right across the street from me.
    It's a franchise and mostly caters to soccer moms and youngsters who want to do a kickboxing workout.
    Since it's a franchise, they really aren't looking to be a hardcore gym. Too much liability especially when they open up in an upscale whitebread area.
    "My Gung-Fu may not be Your Gung-Fu.
    Gwok-Si, Gwok-Faht"

"I will not be part of the generation
    that killed Kung-Fu."

....step.

As long as there is also a KFC nearby it's OK.

Quote Originally Posted by TenTigers View Post
    They opened up right across the street from me.
    It's a franchise and mostly caters to soccer moms and youngsters who want to do a kickboxing workout.
    Since it's a franchise, they really aren't looking to be a hardcore gym. Too much liability especially when they open up in an upscale whitebread area.
    That's what I was afraid of.
    It is better to have less thunder in the mouth and more lightning in the hand. - Apache Proverb

Beautiful facilities

State-of-the-art training equipment. Clean. And usually there's a UFC fighter or two attached to specific locations.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

One opened in new hyde park, not to far from me. They had my bjj instructor (soca) over seeing the bjj when it opened. He is no longer involved, but a few of his brown belts instruct there now. So the bjj is in my opinion top notch. The weights training equipment is new. I am not sure about the striking. And I forgot to mention its dirt cheap, like $40 a month for striking, bjj and weight traning
    Last edited by maxattck; 10-22-2013 at 06:27 PM.

I've hear that they've had financial struggles as a company. You see, they're trying to get people to go to the ground, but stand-up schools nearby are all standing around, waiting to stomp their business into the pavement

The ma market is no joke.

UFC Gyms were LA Boxing gyms. UFC bought them out. Gyms can vary. Most of the classes are cardio + punching the bags with not much instructions. While there are Muay Thai and Boxing technical classes conducted by real coaches and/or or real fighters, some are Pro's (sometimes title holders). Some have quality BJJ also. They are franchises so it depends on the direction that the owners wants it to go.....ie. mostly cardio or fight gym or both, etc.

I used to do some boxing at this one and sparring was once a week and 2 days technical. Sparring was almost always trying to knock someone out. The owners were shady people though and this gym closed down as well as 3 others of their 6 franchises. They're down to 2 franchises and still trying to scam people.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ds9XdofPcAU