Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Boxing has helped me a lot and made my kung fu better

Boxing has helped me a lot and made my kung fu better

Kung fu is largely known for its pugilistic practices. But for me western boxing has helped me a ton. My footwork and cardio are the first things that come to my mind. Anyone else box here?

Quote Originally Posted by dlcox View Post
    One of my early instructors was a pro boxer. Learning how to box from a "Western" perspective had a huge impact on my outlook of "Eastern" boxing methods. In time I was able to alter my technique to encompass a different format and approach. Quickness, timing, response, entry and power all were affected for the better IMO. As a result I gained a ton more confidence in my techniques when it came time to apply them realistically under duress in competition. Western boxing fundamentals, for me, was like a key turning a lock. It opened a door that delved deeper into, and lead to better understanding, of the trove of techniques found in TCMA. For me it was a missing link.

Good post Spiked.
    Thanks! And Kung fu does have boxing but it is not trained like western boxing. Good stuff.

My first instructor for striking arts, who taught Kenpo, was very well-versed in both western boxing and wrestling. He particularly liked to incorporate the boxing into our training and free-sparring. Also, many of the upper students had boxing or kickboxing backgrounds. This was back in the '70s, when freely combining eastern and western modalities was not nearly as common or accepted as it became in more recent years.

IMO, it's invaluable for every MAist to have at least some experience with boxing...both training it and sparring with boxers.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    My first instructor for striking arts, who taught Kenpo, was very well-versed in both western boxing and wrestling. He particularly liked to incorporate the boxing into our training and free-sparring. Also, many of the upper students had boxing or kickboxing backgrounds. This was back in the '70s, when freely combining eastern and western modalities was not nearly as common or accepted as it became in more recent years.

IMO, it's invaluable for every MAist to have at least some experience with boxing...both training it and sparring with boxers.
    They need to train boxing first or they would likely get crushed in sparring. Tcma relies too much on counter striking due to its self defense nature.

Quote Originally Posted by Spiked View Post
    They need to train boxing first or they would likely get crushed in sparring. Tcma relies too much on counter striking due to its self defense nature.
    TCMA does not have self defense nature. This is a modern reworking and perversion of the nature of TCMA.
    Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    This is 100% TCMA principle. It may be used in non-TCMA also. Since I did learn it from TCMA, I have to say it's TCMA principle.
    We should not use "TCMA is more than combat" as excuse for not "evolving".

You can have Kung Fu in cooking, it really has nothing to do with fighting!

Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    TCMA does not have self defense nature. This is a modern reworking and perversion of the nature of TCMA.
    Tcma has whatever nature that is presented by the teacher which is why you do not see any tcma fighters. Why be in denial?

I do believe exposure to boxing should come very early in one's training. It can help prevent a lot of self-delusions from cropping up.

However, not all TCMA are overly defensive...depends on the individual and even the system itself. Traditionally, TCMA like CLF are very aggressive.

Tcma has whatever nature that is presented by the teacher which is why you do not see any tcma fighters. Why be in denial?
    Most TCMA teachers do not do the practical training, conditioning and sparring necessary for competitive fighting. Those interested in such things are forced to look elsewhere to find a suitable training environment.

Those not interested in hitting, or being hit, can safely train TCMA with out being pushed out of their comfort zones.

Both these cycles perpetuate themselves. I don't believe I am in denial here...
    This is 100% TCMA principle. It may be used in non-TCMA also. Since I did learn it from TCMA, I have to say it's TCMA principle.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    However, not all TCMA are overly defensive...depends on the individual and even the system itself.
    In the SC system, most SC coach will teach defense and counter after 3 years. In ACSCA, the defense and counter is the 3rd degree black belt testing requirement. The reason is simple. A SC coach wants his students to attack, attack, and still attack.

The SC spirit is to act like a tiger and trying to eat your opponent alive. Here is an example of the "SC tiger spirit".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EF10...ature=youtu.be
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 10-23-2013 at 08:10 PM.
    http://johnswang.com

More opinion -> more argument
    Less opinion -> less argument
    No opinion -> no argument

Quote Originally Posted by dlcox View Post
    I agree. It's just unfortunate that most commercial MA schools focus on the defenesive part. I understand why they do, children, monetary gain and liabilty issues. When they do finally develop into "sparring" it is over regulated, limited in technique and unrealistic in approach. Again because of above stated reasons. Also, the vast majority of competitions promote this "tag" type of scenerio. IMO boxing and wrestling break down this barrier and allow the students, somewhat safely, to practice their technique and application realistically and at full power, with boxing they can wear head gear, gloves and body armour. Without throws and kicks it's much safer, yet allows one go hard. With wrestling you can go hard without damaging someone. Don't get me wrong without supervision all kinds of havoc can break out. With classical MA training, going hard, even with padding, there is too much risk of injury because of the vast array of techniques, usually underdeveloped. These are usually being applied and defended sloppily as there are too many for the student to adequately learn. IMO to train realistically at full bore you need to isolate to develop the technique. Boxing only, wrestling only, throwing only. Then when your offensive and defensive skill have been sharpend you can start adding them together. Kinda of like a deconstructed MMA format, but applied to TCMA. Training to understand and being able to use a technique doesn't have to equate to training and competing in MMA. But a similar format can be used and IMO should be. No one trained in TCMA for several years should have their arse handed to them by some snot nosed punk with 6 mos. of MMA training. Unfortunately, this has become a trend, simply from a lack of hard and realistic training, like boxing.
    These words are true...you are not an evil Wing Chun demon at all...

hate to break up the love fest, but you guys do realize that the OP has never boxed in his life.......

he does like gladiator movies though
    Chan Tai San Book at https://www.createspace.com/4891253

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    well, like LKFMDC - he's a genuine Kung Fu Hero™
    Quote Originally Posted by Taixuquan99 View Post
    As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

Blog Entries
    If all TCMA guys can look at combat from the boxing and wrestling point of view that you try to knock/take down your opponent ASAP, their training path will be much simple and clear.

What I like about boxing is, a boxer always talks about jab, cross, uppercut, and hook. A boxer will never talk about "How to deal with a hook".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x_sWTnfb-MY
    http://johnswang.com

More opinion -> more argument
    Less opinion -> less argument
    No opinion -> no argument

Quote Originally Posted by lkfmdc View Post
    hate to break up the love fest, but you guys do realize that the OP has never boxed in his life.......

If you want to join the love fest just ask Dave...you don't have to fish for an invite...

It'll give you a break from the Spiked Vs Ross flame war anyway.....

If you want to join the love fest just ask Dave...you don't have to fish for an invite...

It'll give you a break from the Spiked Vs Ross flame war anyway.....
    recently uncovered footage of spike "boxing"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=27wt2S9-Fyo
    Chan Tai San Book at https://www.createspace.com/4891253

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    well, like LKFMDC - he's a genuine Kung Fu Hero™
    Quote Originally Posted by Taixuquan99 View Post
    As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

Quote Originally Posted by lkfmdc View Post

Hate to break it to all of you but you do know David Ross has never done anything in his life except lama forms. Do not try to derail my thread. We have a productive discussion going on. You still have a more work to do before the Christmas season starts so keep eating. Lol