Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Ancient Sanda

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Patterson View Post
    This is correct... Lei Tai events were annual in Taiwan when I was there. But how many fights you got depended on your division. I would say on average I fought 3 to 6 times per year. But some divisions were more sparse than that for certain.

We did train all year for the next year's event, but if you wanted to fight outsiders prior to the next contest you kinda had to resort to picking them in the street. Not that I would know anything about that... I just heard.
    Good to see you back Shihfu

I am going by what William CC Chen said, maybe he had one of those sparse weight classes.....
    Chan Tai San Book at https://www.createspace.com/4891253

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    well, like LKFMDC - he's a genuine Kung Fu Hero™
    Quote Originally Posted by Taixuquan99 View Post
    As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Patterson View Post
    We did train all year for the next year's event, but if you wanted to fight outsiders prior to the next contest you kinda had to resort to picking them in the street. Not that I would know anything about that... I just heard.
    Were you training at a traditional school, or a gym that was specifically geared to this event?
    Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    This is 100% TCMA principle. It may be used in non-TCMA also. Since I did learn it from TCMA, I have to say it's TCMA principle.
    Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    We should not use "TCMA is more than combat" as excuse for not "evolving".

You can have Kung Fu in cooking, it really has nothing to do with fighting!

Were you training at a traditional school, or a gym that was specifically geared to this event?
    back then, there wasn't the "divide" you have today

Shihfu Patterson is from an amazing school in Taiwan - Shen Long Tang Shou Tao
    (may have spelled it wrong, if I did, sorry)

As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

You got that right

@David,

Pretty right on.. I normally spell the second word "Lung" but hey, I get very confused sometimes with the shift to PinYin as I was brought up and educated through the Wade/Giles romanization when learning Mandarin.

I'm not sure what division William would have fought in.. Heavyweight division was always sparse as I remember (but I'm pretty sure he wasn't a heavyweight). The rest would have been luck of the draw. My divisions, (I started in the 70kg division and gradually moved up as I got older to the 75kg and then the 80kg), were always very heavily saturated.

But still, I would much have preferred if it was not only once per year back then. I liked the trend the United States Kuoshu was ingraining when I was still involved... with the quaterly regionals, then national and international contests. It's better for the fighter's experience.

@Kellen,

David is right. Not really such a divide in my day. There weren't really what you would call "gyms" back then... there was the school. We trained like we fought and fought like we trained and we did it consistently throughout the year. It was just how things were in that era.
    One of these days the world is going to become so politically correct that it will scare itself out of existence.

MP 2007

I never know what to call my place? A gym? A school? An academy? A facility?

Mo Gwoon / Wu Guan means a building martial arts is practiced in, that's what they are.... but when half the people in the community are doing stuff that has nothing to do with what you do, you distance yourself (at least I did) or you find yourself very lonely....

A few organizations had direct influence upon my current structure and Shen Lung Tang Shou Tao was definitely one of them... well organized TCMA with proper emphasis on the physical training and conditioning, real application and a nice balance of tradition and rational thinking

Wow. If ever there was a set up for a snappy comeback...

Quote Originally Posted by lkfmdc View Post
    I never know what to call my place? A gym? A school? An academy? A facility?
    Should we launch a new thread? What should lkfmdc's place be called?

Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    Should we launch a new thread? What should lkfmdc's place be called?

you do realize that at this very moment spiked is trying despearately to find some way to use this

Ps: Bad gene! Bad bad gene!!
    Last edited by lkfmdc; 10-25-2013 at 08:30 AM.