Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
I don't have the article to site, but I read something to the affect that Taiwan had maintained its' Kuoshu fights during the period that formal martial arts training was banned in China. After the Chinese government standardized Wushu taolu, there was criticism coming out of Taiwan for the lack of full contact fighting on the mainland. It was suggested that this loss of face prompted China's organization of sanda in the late '60's, early '70's.

IYO is their any truth to that assertion?
After the CCP vicotory in the civil war, CIVILIANS were prevented from practicing application based martial arts on the mainland. That did NOT stop the military.

I do however have reason to doubt that this was even a universal or enforced policy. The 1954 Guangdong sports almanac listed CTS and his si-hing Lei Fei San as the 3rd and 2nd place winners of the PROVINCIAL sparring championships (both had lost to a Hsing Yi fighter)... as far as I am aware Lei Fei San nor the Hsing Yi guy were military nor was the competition a military competition???

At the same time on Taiwan, they had the ANNUAL Lei Tai events, but as Willim CC Chen expressed to me once, that meant you got to fight ONCE A YEAR.... he said you got one, maybe two fights a year and then nothing....