Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ancient Sanda

Ancient Sanda

Some conversation in the Shaolin forum about sanda existing, (or not) in old Gong Fu, has derailed the dead horse beating that was going on. I thought maybe we could discuss the topic here....

From Shemmati....

Quote Originally Posted by SHemmati View Post
    but Sanda is an ancient art! and it also looks very much the same as what many modern Sanda fighters do. closed guards, standing stances, etc. there are famous Luohan 36, 108, and 360 Sanda combat techniques in the ancient curriculums.
    From Miqi....

Quote Originally Posted by Miqi View Post
    This is a really important, tertiary sub-text to this discussion. The great yiquan master Yao ZongXun said that the real, true CMA of the past was much closer to muay thai than to forms practice of any type.
    Myself....

Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    Sanda, as a training method or competition is likely thousands of years old. Sanda as Shaolin techniques is hundreds of years old. Sanda practiced as its own method in a structured curriculum has been in existence longer than Muay Thai has been in the boxing ring.

Sanda wasn't invented by the communists in the '70's. They just standardized a rule set and the clothing; and have been changing it ever since.
    Counter points by LFJ....

Quote Originally Posted by LFJ View Post
    There is no ancient "art" of sanda. It is a generic term used in many traditional styles for sparring or free fight training. But the techniques, strategies, etc. each art uses aren't the same as modern sport sanda, nor the same between different traditional styles. That is something quite different. Luohan sanda or such has nothing to do with modern sport sanda, except that they share the broad term.
    I think this is a good discussion....any thoughts on the subject?
    Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    This is 100% TCMA principle. It may be used in non-TCMA also. Since I did learn it from TCMA, I have to say it's TCMA principle.
    We should not use "TCMA is more than combat" as excuse for not "evolving".

You can have Kung Fu in cooking, it really has nothing to do with fighting!

Greetings,

The counterpoint established by LFJ is correct.

Fighting is fighting.

Additionally, if you go back a few hundred years you probably would seeing a different kind of play, one where weapons, like the spear, were played.

mickey

Quote Originally Posted by mickey View Post
    Fighting is fighting.
    Which is exactly why I believe concepts and methods were the same centuries ago...(minus whatever minor, necessary adjustments are made for the gear, rules, ring,)
    This is 100% TCMA principle. It may be used in non-TCMA also. Since I did learn it from TCMA, I have to say it's TCMA principle.

Greetings Kellen Bassette,

Yes, fighting is fighting.

But how did it look? What we have presently is nothing more than civilian combatives. Field combatives required weapons. So you would something along the lines of friendly spearplay, archery competitions, strength competitions, and wrestling. No right minded king would appreciate having his top warriors killed in friendly competition. And this would not be open to civilians as you see it today.

mickey

First, as frightening as this is, in this case I would probably agree with miqi.... when Chinese martial art was used for fighting "in the old day" it had less variation, was a smaller curriculum and was more direct... only thing I would suggest is that it would have looked like the old Muay Thai of the 1920's and not the modern ring version... once you create a venue to test a method (what you guys call "sport") it evolves

San Da, Da Lei Tai, Sanshou, Pak Gihk, etc there have always been terms in TCMA for fighting and application... but what we today think of as sanda/sanshou is not some ancient Shaolin art. It comes directly from the modern military experiment
    Chan Tai San Book at https://www.createspace.com/4891253

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    well, like LKFMDC - he's a genuine Kung Fu Hero™
    Quote Originally Posted by Taixuquan99 View Post
    As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

Quote Originally Posted by lkfmdc View Post

San Da, Da Lei Tai, Sanshou, Pak Gihk, etc there have always been terms in TCMA for fighting and application... but what we today think of as sanda/sanshou is not some ancient Shaolin art. It comes directly from the modern military experiment
    Modern Chinese military experiment with sanda began in the 1920's. Muay Thai adopting western rules began in the '30's, about the same time as the founding of the oldest Karate schools. Just for some perspective on the age of sanda as a curriculum.

Modern Chinese military experiment with sanda began in the 1920's. Muay Thai adopting western rules began in the '30's, about the same time as the founding of the oldest Karate schools. Just for some perspective on the age of sanda as a curriculum.
    Nope, Muay Thai was in the ring in the 1920's
    Modern Sanshou / San Da started in 1925

There is a remarkably intersting comparison between San Da vs Kung fu and old THai arts vs Modern Muay Thai

As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

Interesting points. Especially the Muay Thai comparison.
    Kellen- (or anyone)- do you think the old CMA was closer to Muay Thai? northern eagle claw grab in longfist can be like a muay thai clinch (maybe applied differently in theory, but looks the same). Also a lot of basics I learned from the old longfist style are like kickboxing techniques (jab, reverse, hook, uppercut, kicking, combos, etc.) Maybe the respective governments promoted the arts in different directions (performance/ health vs. sport fighting/kickboxing) furthering whatever divide already existed?

Nope, Muay Thai was in the ring in the 1920's
    Modern Sanshou / San Da started in 1925

There is a remarkably intersting comparison between San Da vs Kung fu and old THai arts vs Modern Muay Thai
    Whampoa Military Academy opened May, 1924...birthplace of modern sanda curriculum. I have read Thai Boxing adopted western ring, rules and gloves over a period of time in the 1930's, but have not been able to find specific dates.

No matter, which is older isn't important...I'm just making the point that the idea is not new.

Quote Originally Posted by MarathonTmatt View Post

What people call "sport" and cast negative shadow upon is really "alive training"... when you make something alive it gets better, not worse

northern eagle claw
    The original "eagle claw" as in the so called 108 locks of General Ngok Fei was not a flashy northern system. It was originally refeered to as "elephant stepping" ie it was a direct, forward moving and aggressive system with close quarters application

In the Shum Leung line there was unearthed an old film (8 mm maybe?) of a class from mainland before the move to HK, it looks more like a Judo or stand up Jujitsu class than a flashy kick oriented northern style

Whampoa Military Academy opened May, 1924...birthplace of modern sanda curriculum. I have read Thai Boxing adopted western ring, rules and gloves over a period of time in the 1930's, but have not been able to find specific dates.

No matter, which is older isn't important...I'm just making the point that the idea is not new.
    Yeah, 1924, I wasn't careful with my typing this morning

(and you probably got the Whampoa info from me!)

Kellen- (or anyone)- do you think the old CMA was closer to Muay Thai? northern eagle claw grab in longfist can be like a muay thai clinch (maybe applied differently in theory, but looks the same). Also a lot of basics I learned from the old longfist style are like kickboxing techniques (jab, reverse, hook, uppercut, kicking, combos, etc.) Maybe the respective governments promoted the arts in different directions (performance/ health vs. sport fighting/kickboxing) furthering whatever divide already existed?
    Forms and performance have been around for centuries, (performance aspects also exist in ancient MT.) I think the oldest Gong Fu, however, was the development of specific gongs...basically training certain skills to mastery. I think the fighting was more stripped down, more mastery of the fundamentals...so yes, I think this would look closer to Muay Thai, (or Muay Boran, as Ross noted,) than to say the flamboyant theater we think of as Kung Fu today....

Yeah, 1924, I wasn't careful with my typing this morning

(and you probably got the Whampoa info from me!)
    Maybe originally, lol, (probably)....it's actually on many sources on the net now...but I've never had a reason to try to trace back to the original source...

Today in mainland they don't want to discuss (or credit) the nationalist government... so sanda/sanshou mysteriously starts in the 1960's (even though "sanshou" was published in 1956)

san shou itslef was a fairly common term, and though the program did not have an official name early on, the term san shou was used in a lot of the documents

Today in mainland they don't want to discuss (or credit) the nationalist government... so sanda/sanshou mysteriously starts in the 1960's (even though "sanshou" was published in 1956)

san shou itslef was a fairly common term, and though the program did not have an official name early on, the term san shou was used in a lot of the documents
    I don't have the article to site, but I read something to the affect that Taiwan had maintained its' Kuoshu fights during the period that formal martial arts training was banned in China. After the Chinese government standardized Wushu taolu, there was criticism coming out of Taiwan for the lack of full contact fighting on the mainland. It was suggested that this loss of face prompted China's organization of sanda in the late '60's, early '70's.

IYO is their any truth to that assertion?