Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 8161718

Thread: "We've reached the end of antibiotics"

Quote Originally Posted by GoldenBrain View Post
    What! No cabin! You must be one of them there city slickers! lol

Okay, this might depress you, but I'm going to share anyway. It's 9:26PM and the temperature outside my front door is 64 degrees.
    You're pretty lucky. By then it's probably thirties if not lower here.

Quote Originally Posted by Raipizo View Post
    You're pretty lucky. By then it's probably thirties if not lower here.

It's now 69 degrees. Awesome! I believe I'll roll the dice on not having a late freeze in March and get the garden started early this year. If you need to thaw out just drop on by and I'll serve you up some good BBQ.

Okay, to get back on topic… I happened upon this article today.

http://drjakefratkin.com/articles/ge...merry-go-round

Serious bacterial infections don’t begin with a visit to a TCM practitioner, but rather to the ER room: deep wounds, bacterial pneumonia, bacterial meningitis and so on. These conditions, as well as post-surgery, require pharmaceutical antibiotics and often accompany hospitalization. Here, antibiotics are truly miraculous, saving lives that otherwise might be lost to organ failure, systemic sepsis or gangrene.

The success of antibiotics in serious infections has been a great source of satisfaction to the medical world, and as a result, antibiotics are commonly given for less serious infections in outpatient clinics. Physicians will often prescribe antibiotics when they are unnecessary or unhelpful, such as viral infections or when no clear bacterial infection exists. These include ear infection[iii], bronchitis[iv], viral (“walking”) pneumonia, sore throat, non-bacterial skin infections including eczema and acne, fever and chronic sinus infection. Often, the physician will justify his prescription as necessary for “avoiding a secondary infection”, which rarely occur.

Use of Chinese Herbal Medicine. Most outpatient bacterial infections affect the epithelia of the nose, throat, lung, skin, urethra and bladder. All of these can successfully be treated with formulas utilizing Chinese herbs that have antibacterial properties. In the Chinese materia medica, all of the herbs contained in the category “Clear Heat and Dry Dampness” have well-documented antibacterial effects.[x] The yellow huang herbs, those that contain berberine, include huang qin (Radix Scutellariae), huang lian (Rhizoma Coptidis), huang bai (Cortex Phellodendri), long dan cao (Radix Gentianae) and ku shen (Radix Sophorae Flavescentis).

While the anti-viral properties of herbs in the category “Clear Heat and Resolve Toxicity” are well known, many also exhibit strong anti-bacterial activity, including jin yin hua (Flos Lonicerae), lian qiao (Fructus Forsythiae), pu gong ying (Herba Taraxaci), ban zhi lian (Herba Sciutellariae Barbatae), da qing ye (Folium Isatidis), ban lan gen (Radix Isatidis), chuan xin lian (Herba Andrographis) and yu xing cao (Herba Houttuyniae).[xi]

Finally, a few herbs in the category “Drain Dampness” have antibacterial effects useful in bladder and kidney infections. These include deng xin cao (Medulla Junci), bian xu (Herba Polygoni Avicularis), yin chen hao (Herba Artemisiae Scopariae), bi xie (Rhizoma Dioscoreae Hypoglaucae) and others.[xii]

Hm that seems like a pretty good article maybe people will start putting interest into alt. medicine.

I looked into using a keg for exercises, it looks like fun but I would just need to find a keg. Like some of this stuff looks fun
    I realize it's a long video but I like what this guy does.