Page 17 of 18 FirstFirst ... 715161718 LastLast

Thread: "We've reached the end of antibiotics"

Quote Originally Posted by GoldenBrain View Post
    I've been into Vasque and Merrell shoes for over 10 years now.

So I saw some Merrells on Sat. And others. I find that with shoes in general, the soles are glued on and ALWAYS the first bad thing to happen to my shoes as they age is the sole coming apart. I looked at a few diff brands and they ALL looked like crap in that respect. Some were like 200 bucks, yet still the same shitty glue job. This annoys me.

But that aside, I need hikers. So the Merrells look good. They're like $85CDN. Good call.

And of course I woke up to like 6 inches of snow, the street hadn't been plowed and I had no idea it was coming. Awesome morning. Wet feet all freakin day! It was warm and sunny all day and tonight is clear. Man... the morning is gonna be a nightmare. The thing about Vancouver is that it snows so little that people just get all seasons. But it does snow pretty much every year a few times for a few days at a time. With all due respect, a good 3/4 of the city I call home is retarded.

Quote Originally Posted by Syn7 View Post
    So I saw some Merrells on Sat. And others. I find that with shoes in general, the soles are glued on and ALWAYS the first bad thing to happen to my shoes as they age is the sole coming apart. I looked at a few diff brands and they ALL looked like crap in that respect. Some were like 200 bucks, yet still the same shitty glue job. This annoys me.

But that aside, I need hikers. So the Merrells look good. They're like $85CDN. Good call.

And of course I woke up to like 6 inches of snow, the street hadn't been plowed and I had no idea it was coming. Awesome morning. Wet feet all freakin day! It was warm and sunny all day and tonight is clear. Man... the morning is gonna be a nightmare. The thing about Vancouver is that it snows so little that people just get all seasons. But it does snow pretty much every year a few times for a few days at a time. With all due respect, a good 3/4 of the city I call home is retarded.
    You definitely need some leather boots for that snow, but I'm glad you like the Merrells. I am so with you about the glued on soles. It seems like everything out there has vibram soles which all appear to be glued on. That's the thing that goes first on my shoes also and it usually starts at the heels. My mat shoes for MA training do the same thing. I try to catch it early, like within a millimeter or two of them lifting off the edges of the footbed, and touch them up with gorilla glue. The gorilla glue works wonders and has saved me a lot of money in shoes, especially training shoes which I just beat all to hell.

Quote Originally Posted by Raipizo View Post
    That's interesting, and disturbing for those who take this stuff. I just skimmed the video though.

The truth is, in my opinion, unless you are unable to get adequate amounts of protein in your diet I don't think anybody needs to be taking this kind of supplement. Diets that are too high in protein can lead to serious health problems such as osteoporosis, kidney disease, urinary tract stones, and possibly some cancers. There are many sources for this information but the following article was the first thing that popped up when I performed a search and it seems to sum it up nicely. http://www.pcrm.org/health/diets/vsk...er-kit-protein

That's interesting, and disturbing for those who take this stuff. I just skimmed the video though.

The truth is, in my opinion, unless you are unable to get adequate amounts of protein in your diet I don't think anybody needs to be taking this kind of supplement. Diets that are too high in protein can lead to serious health problems such as osteoporosis, kidney disease, urinary tract stones, and possibly some cancers. There are many sources for this information but the following article was the first thing that popped up when I performed a search and it seems to sum it up nicely. http://www.pcrm.org/health/diets/vsk...er-kit-protein
    I thought you took their green powder so I was giving you a heads up

I thought you took their green powder so I was giving you a heads up
    Oops! Sorry man, I told you I just skimmed it. I thought it was more about the raw protein products, but now I see it's the same company that makes the green powder. The good news for us is that we haven't used much of it since we have a regular supply of fresh greens. It was mainly just to get us started. I just walked over to the pantry and there is at least 75 percent left in the can, and that can just hit the trash. Many thanks for bringing this to my attention!

Something we all can take away from this is that you just never know what's in processed foods and supplements. Just because it says healthy organic and all that doesn't mean it's safe. The only way to know for sure what's in our foods is to grow/raise it ourselves.

Edit: I just sent this information to the local Green Market we found this product at. Hopefully they'll remove it from their shelves. This is just another in a long list of epic fails from the USFDA.

Here's some more info and a few nuggets from the article. Thankfully the green powder didn't have these heavy metals, but the protein powders way exceeded the limits.

In one lot we tested (E2694A), we found concentrations so high that:

• Lead intake from a single serving exceeds California Prop 65 limits for dietary supplements by 2,700%.

• Cadmium intake from a single serving exceeds California Prop 65 limits for dietary supplements by over 1,000%.

• Tungsten concentrations were so high that they exceeded the lead concentration by nearly 2,000%.

Learn more: http://www.naturalnews.com/043759_ga...#ixzz2sOGUM9Gn
    Last edited by GoldenBrain; 02-04-2014 at 02:23 PM.

A toast to my buddy Raipizo for keeping me in the know!

This one has carrots, spinach, celery, orange juice, greek yogurt, shelled hemp seed, goji berries and some raw ginger root. Delicious!!!

Name:  Smoothie.jpg
Views: 289
Size:  91.8 KB

Not sure why the photo posted sideways since the original wasn't that way.
    Last edited by GoldenBrain; 02-04-2014 at 02:01 PM.

A toast to my buddy Raipizo for keeping me in the know!

This one has carrots, spinach, celery, orange juice, greek yogurt, shelled hemp seed, goji berries and some raw ginger root. Delicious!!!

Name:  Smoothie.jpg
Views: 289
Size:  91.8 KB

Not sure why the photo posted sideways since the original wasn't that way.
    Good thing I didn't buy any of it from amazon . I think it's more of the fact of the brown rice being dirty and laced with these metals than the fact that the company's fault. Now idk if companies check their products for heavy metals, I'm sure not. Hope this brings it to their attention so they can address the issue. I use whey protein so I shouldn't have this problem and avoided the hormone problem by using free range organic whey. And I usually only use that when I exercise which I have been to lazy to start back up . That looks delightfully orange lol. Gene flipped the photo I bet, he is a sneaky snake. Looks yummy, I need to get some smoothie supplies and pick up some more chia seeds.

Good thing I didn't buy any of it from amazon . I think it's more of the fact of the brown rice being dirty and laced with these metals than the fact that the company's fault. Now idk if companies check their products for heavy metals, I'm sure not. Hope this brings it to their attention so they can address the issue. I use whey protein so I shouldn't have this problem and avoided the hormone problem by using free range organic whey. And I usually only use that when I exercise which I have been to lazy to start back up . That looks delightfully orange lol. Gene flipped the photo I bet, he is a sneaky snake. Looks yummy, I need to get some smoothie supplies and pick up some more chia seeds.
    I'm glad you didn't buy it either, however it appears that their protein supplements are the problem and not the green powder, so you'd have been alright. I feel better knowing that it wasn't the green powder since my wife and I consumed about a 1/4 of the container. I tossed ours in the trash because we don't need it anymore and I no longer trust this company. Companies like this that advertise healthy organic should definitely test their products, as should all companies that sell food or supplement products, but the real let down is the USFDA who is supposed to be the watchdog for this kind of thing.

I'm not sure about orange, but it was a pretty shade of muddy yellow. Normally my carrot based smoothies are much more orange, but I added 3 big handfuls of spinach to this one so it really changed the color. It was good though. While I was taking that photo my wife and son were happily chugging theirs.

I made one today for some visiting family that was just amazing. We whipped up a few jars of almond butter to give them, so I took what was left in the blender and instead of scraping it out I and added raw dark coco, bananas, yogurt, coconut milk and dark cherries. Oh man, it was like a banana cherry reese's peanut butter cup shake.

I'm glad you didn't buy it either, however it appears that their protein supplements are the problem and not the green powder, so you'd have been alright. I feel better knowing that it wasn't the green powder since my wife and I consumed about a 1/4 of the container. I tossed ours in the trash because we don't need it anymore and I no longer trust this company. Companies like this that advertise healthy organic should definitely test their products, as should all companies that sell food or supplement products, but the real let down is the USFDA who is supposed to be the watchdog for this kind of thing.

I'm not sure about orange, but it was a pretty shade of muddy yellow. Normally my carrot based smoothies are much more orange, but I added 3 big handfuls of spinach to this one so it really changed the color. It was good though. While I was taking that photo my wife and son were happily chugging theirs.

I made one today for some visiting family that was just amazing. We whipped up a few jars of almond butter to give them, so I took what was left in the blender and instead of scraping it out I and added raw dark coco, bananas, yogurt, coconut milk and dark cherries. Oh man, it was like a banana cherry reese's peanut butter cup shake.
    Looked kinda orangish. I agree that they should. Things always slip past the usfda which is why I always try to watch what I eat.

More on the Garden of Life story… The quote below is the response from Garden of Life to the Green Market we shop at, regarding this issue. It appears that there is a certain blogger out there who is a reseller of whey protein. This blogger is putting out skewed information regarding the testing of these products. It looks like the numbers he is presenting are not matching up with the actual studies. So, just like many things on the web that we have trouble verifying, we both may have fallen into the trap of judging something without having all the facts. I'll do some more research on this but it looks like Garden of Life products are in fact safe and the USFDA has not failed us, at least in this category.

Dear Customer,
    A blogger recently posted test results of his independent test of RAW Protein. These products are safe for your continued use. We are proud of the safety of these and all Garden of Life products.
    Garden of Life fully supports accredited third party independent testing in the Natural Products Industry. We regularly request our products be tested by ConsumerLab.com, the leading third party testing entity that is entirely independent from industry and commerce.
    Lead
    All protein sources contain some lead present in the source’s surroundings. Natural plant proteins will absorb higher levels of lead, as well as all other minerals, vitamins and co-nutrients, than animal sources, through their heightened exposure to soil, air and water.
    The real question is, are the lead levels in RAW Protein safe? The answer is yes, absolutely! The levels of lead do not exceed the standards set by the following health organizations:
     World Health Organization (“WHO”)
     the European Union
     the Canadian Natural Health Products Directorate
     the US FDA (tolerable daily intake)
     the US Pharmacopeia
     the US EPA (drinking water standards)
     theStateofCalifornia(Proposition65safeharborlevels )

ConsumerLab.com testing found 5.06 micrograms (mcg) of lead or 0.23 parts per million (ppm) or 230 parts per billion (ppb) in a daily serving of RAW Protein. A microgram is one millionth of a gram, or one part per million (ppm). To help visualize what a microgram is consider that a sugar cube weighs about 1 gram. If you cut it into one thousand pieces, and then cut one of those tiny pieces into another thousand pieces, that would be a microgram. So 5.06 mcg of lead is a small quantity indeed. But how does 5.06 mcg compare to the allowable lead amounts from the world's leading regulators? The Provisional Daily Intake Level allowed by the FDA is 75 mcg per day for adults, and the safe amount allowed by the WHO for a 150-pound person is 243 mcg per day.* The WHO safety standard has been adopted by the European Union giving it further credence.
    Lead is not only found in all soils, but also in rivers, lakes, and
    seawater. Despite its weight, lead is also a normal part of the air, a component of dust and of sea spray. Lead is present in the proportion of 16 parts per million (ppm) in igneous rocks, the most common ancient rock. Natural soils usually have less than 50 ppm of lead. The adult human body contains lead equivalent to about 2 ppm (range: 1.4 - 5.7 ppm). There is less than 0.23 ppm in RAW Protein.
    5.06 mcg of lead in RAW Protein is just like taking a daily serving of other typical plant foods according to the maximum amounts found in the FDA's publication, Total Diet Study Statistics on Elements Results (December 11, 2007):
    Amounts of Lead found in a 4 Ounce Serving of Food
    Collard greens, fresh 15.3 mcg
    Mixed nuts, roasted 10.2 mcg
    Brussels sprouts, fresh, boiled 7.9 mcg
    Sweet potato, fresh, baked 7.2 mcg
    Spinach, boiled 7.0 mcg
    Avocado, raw 4.5 mcg

Giving further perspective, the US Government’s Centers for Disease Control publication Inorganic Lead Exposure, Metabolism and Intoxication states that, “...typical intakes of lead from food, beverages and inhaled air are in the order of 300 - 500 mcg per day.”
    It must be understood that every element on the periodic chart can be detrimental depending on the intake level. For example, selenium is classified as an essential nutrient when taken in small quantities, but take too much and it may become toxic. Even life-giving oxygen may have a deadly effect when taken in excess.
    Lead is no different. It’s found in virtually everything we consume, but lead is only a concern when the levels are unnaturally high as a result of industrial contamination. The lead found in RAW Protein is naturally occurring in the plant material and not due to any industrial process.
    Cadmium
    ConsumerLab.com testing found 29.48 micrograms (mcg) of cadmium or 1.34 parts per million (ppm) or 1,340 parts per billion (ppb) in a daily serving of RAW Protein. As with lead there are many sources of cadmium in nature such as coffee, tea, chocolate, fish, shellfish and in the growth of grains such as wheat and rice. During the growth of grains such as wheat and rice, cadmium (from the soil) is concentrated in the core of the kernel.
    29.48 mcg of cadmium in RAW Protein is just like taking a daily serving of other typical plant foods according to the maximum amounts found in the FDA's publication, Total Diet Study Statistics on Elements Results (December 11, 2007):
    Amount of Cadmium found in a 4 Ounce Serving of Food
    Sunflower seed, shelled roasted 74.2 mcg
    Spinach, boiled 59.2 mcg
    Iceberg lettuce 36.4 mcg
    Lettuce leaf, raw 30.3 mcg

Tungsten
    Tungsten is not a well-studied mineral. Tungsten is a naturally occurring mineral, present in air, water and soil. It is rarely tested. In fact, it’s almost impossible to find a lab certified for tungsten testing. We note that there are no regulations for tungsten content in food, water or other common products in the US, Canada or Europe. Tungsten’s safety has never been a concern of any government or scientific body. Our Ph.D’s have considered these trace amounts of tungsten are safe for human health.
    It is well established in science that the human body eliminates metals via defecation, urination, perspiration and respiration. Except at times of unusually high metal exposure, the total taken into the body each day is eliminated each day.
    RAW Protein is:
     safelymanufacturedbycGMPthird-partyauditedfacilities.
     tested to be safe, conforming to FDA’s Good Manufacturing Practices and food standards in FDA regulated labs.
     additionally tested and safety-validated by the leading third party independent testing agency.
     USDA Certified Organic, safe from toxic pesticides and fertilizers.
     verified NON-GMO, safe from genetically modified ingredients.
     vegan, safe for all consumers’ lifestyles.
     Certified for Sport by Informed-Choice, safe for competitive use and free of banned substances.
    RAW Protein is safe. Garden of Life conforms in every respect to the highest quality standards with this, and all of our products. Our full concern and attention are on your safety.
    To better understand the issues at hand, it’s important to note that lead and cadmium are commonly tested in all foods and food supplements manufactured and sold in the United States. These metals are classified as

minerals. Minerals, vitamins and other nutrients are commonly found in our environment, including air, water and soil. As a result, people who consume plant products as the majority of their diet consume more soil based nutrients including minerals (and metals) when compared to people who consume primarily animal based diets.
    The challenge most of us have is interpreting test results. After all, unless you work in a lab or are a chemist, the methods applied to perform tests and the produce the final report are complicated. Metals, for example, are typically reported in PPB (parts per billion) or PPM (parts per million). A test report of 1000 PPB could also accurately be reported as 1 PPM. Of course the number 1000 looks higher, and potentially more concerning when reported in PPB.
    Regardless of the way the tests are reported, we assure you that RAW Protein products are safe, nutritious, meaningful alternatives to animal protein powders and conventional plant proteins that are common in the marketplace. These products are tested to be safe and comply with, or exceed the US Food and Drug Administration Food Standards. They are USDA Certified Organic, and free from toxic pesticides and fertilizers. They are third party verified to be free from genetically modified organisms commonly found in conventional products. They are vegan, and free from animal hormones like rBste. In addition, they have been verified as “Clean” for all sport by Informed-Choice.
    We hope you are reassured that the products you’ve come to love for their efficacy, value, taste and cleanliness remain SAFE for you and your family.
    NOTES ON SOURCES:
    * The WHO's Provisional Tolerable Weekly Intake (PTWI) for ingestion of lead from all sources is 25 mcg per kilogram (2.2 lbs) of bodyweight. The PTWI is a dosage that is known to be safe over time, because it is well- known by scientists that the body is both exposed to and excretes lead easily and on a daily basis. The PTWI safe weekly intake of lead for a 150- pound person (150 pounds = 68.18 kilograms) times 25 mcg is 1704 mcg of lead per week or 243 mcg of lead per day.

Hopefully it gets all sorted out. Been awhile since I posted but how are you doin GB? Texas get blasted with snow? Right now we probably have about a half a foot but the streets are all clear we got a bunch of snow last night and schools got off today. Gonna be reaching the higher 40's tomorrow and the next few days so probably have a lot of flooding

Hopefully it gets all sorted out. Been awhile since I posted but how are you doin GB? Texas get blasted with snow? Right now we probably have about a half a foot but the streets are all clear we got a bunch of snow last night and schools got off today. Gonna be reaching the higher 40's tomorrow and the next few days so probably have a lot of flooding
    We did get some snow a few weeks ago. I earned some good will from the neighbors in this community when I hooked up the bucket and box blade to the tractor and cleared our roads. We live in a little valley surrounded by some of the few hills in this area so I had to plow our driveway anyway. The neighbors were really happy when I went a little further and hit the main roads through the community. the last few days have been in the upper 60's to 70's. I heard a few days ago that 49 states had snow. As much as I'd like a foot or two of the fluffy stuff it's nice to be back into the 70's. I think you're right that the flooding is going to be bad when all this stuff melts, but at least it will help out the drought zones.

I hope all is well with you my friend! Don't let that cabin fever get to ya!

We did get some snow a few weeks ago. I earned some good will from the neighbors in this community when I hooked up the bucket and box blade to the tractor and cleared our roads. We live in a little valley surrounded by some of the few hills in this area so I had to plow our driveway anyway. The neighbors were really happy when I went a little further and hit the main roads through the community. the last few days have been in the upper 60's to 70's. I heard a few days ago that 49 states had snow. As much as I'd like a foot or two of the fluffy stuff it's nice to be back into the 70's. I think you're right that the flooding is going to be bad when all this stuff melts, but at least it will help out the drought zones.

I hope all is well with you my friend! Don't let that cabin fever get to ya!
    Mid 40's today. 60? Jeez lucky lol. All the snow is melting but now it's cool tonight so it's starting to ice over . I won't, don't worry I don't live in a cabin anyway

Mid 40's today. 60? Jeez lucky lol. All the snow is melting but now it's cool tonight so it's starting to ice over . I won't, don't worry I don't live in a cabin anyway
    What! No cabin! You must be one of them there city slickers! lol

Okay, this might depress you, but I'm going to share anyway. It's 9:26PM and the temperature outside my front door is 64 degrees.