Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Hot Sauce!

Hot sauce

Hi, can someone recommend a good hot sauce? I've been eating a lot of Indian food recently, and I've developed a little bit of tolerance to hot food. Tobasco sauce is ok, it's kind of hot, but I don't like the flavor much. I just got some Lousiana hot sauce, but it's not as hot as the Tobasco sauce. It tastes like what people put on buffalo wings.

So, what's a good sauce for things like chicken, or tacos, etc?

Nothing crazy, please. My friend has this stuff called "Adrenaline Rush" and I put one drop of it on my finger and licked it and my mouth was burning for 20 or 30 minutes. That's crazy. You're supposed to put like one drop of it in a whole pot of soup. I just want something a little hotter than Tobasco, and much better tasing.

Thanks,

IronFist
    "If you like metal you're my friend" -- Manowar

"I am the cosmic storms, I am the tiny worms" -- Dimmu Borgir

<BombScare> i beat the internet
    <BombScare> the end guy is hard.

Cholula, or... I forgot. Cholula is good. Tabasco is too vinegary.

Sriracha - by Huy Fong Foods Inc. is good on noodles, Pho, and such...

Yeo's makes a good one that is a bit sweet...good on eggs, bok choy, etc....

Make your own, dude!
    "i can barely click the link. but i way why stop drinking .... i got ... moe .. fcke me ..im out of it" - GDA on Traditional vs Modern Wushu
    ---------------------------------------------
    but what if the man of steel hasta fight another man of steel only that man of steel knows kung fu? - Kristoffer
    How do you think monks/strippers got started before the internet? - Gene Ching
    Find your peace in practice. - Gene Ching

"sriracha" rules, as does "franks red hot". franks is not that spicy but has really good flavour.

Iron,

I'm a bit of a snot about food and such, but it really depends on what you're eating. Sriracha is great, but hardly goes well with mexican food....I also find it a tad sweet. Great for asian flavors, not so good with others, IMO.

Anyway, a good tactic is to familiarize yourself with the relative heat level of the different peppers that are out there and then read the label. I too, find tabasco too vinegary.

In order to get truly hot food, I've found I have to argue with the waitstaff. When the silly round-eye asks for "Native Thai Hot," I invariably get something too sweet and tepid. The local Thai joint near my house, however, has finally figured it out. We all have a good laugh about it because the waitress we usually get always goes back and we can hear her arguing with the cook in Thai over my order. Or maybe they're just making jokes at my expense. I don't speak Thai.

There are a lot of crappy sauces on the market, and most specialty sauces have a lot of sugar in them to appeal to the American palate, which has degenerated thanks to a diet of processed foods and gustatory timidity. Cholula has a great flavor, but isn't really "hot." Texas Pete, Frank's, Durkee, etc all suffer from a sort of boring similarity and no real heat. Great for New Orleans style food....

For Indian food, try this: Mix equal parts minced green chili pepper (your choice--I like the little green thai bird chilis. Hot, but not Scotch Bonnet/Habenero hot...) and ginger. Serranos are ok in a pinch, but I use Jalapenos for company. Add a quantity of salt, to taste a bit of vinegar or lime (I like lime) a tiny bit of vodka (certain flavor compounds in several foods are alcohol soluble, but will not dissolve in water) and a small bit of a neutral-flavored oil (capsacin is an oil--like dissolves like...). Stir to moisten (the whole thing should glisten with a SMALL bit of liquid in the bottom) and store the remainder, tightly wrapped/covered in the fridge.

The fresh ginger will brighten the dish and the peppers are um... hot.

One last caveat--chile peppers have different names from store to store and region to region. Learn to identify them by sight, vice name.
    "In the world of martial arts, respect is often a given. In the real world, it must be earned."

"A stupid man's report of what a clever man says is never accurate because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand. "--Bertrand Russell

"Liberals - Cosmopolitan critics, men who are the friends of every country save their own. "--Benjamin Disraeli

"A conservative government is an organised hypocrisy."--Benjamin Disraeli

Wow sounds like you know how to cook MP, I'm impressed. I wished I could cook better but it's hard to get started
    Does anyone here like Wazabi? If you can eat all wazabi infront of you without dying, then you'r not human.

I always get hungry when I'm on this stupid forum

All right now, son, I want you to get a good night's rest. And remember, I could murder you while you sleep.
    Hey son, I bought you a puppy today after work. But then I killed it and ate it! Hahah, I´m just kidding. I would never buy you a puppy.

"Three witches watch three Swatch watches. Which witch watch which Swatch watch?"

"Three switched witches watch three Swatch watch switches. Which switched witch watch which Swatch watch switch?."

I love Wasabi, but it's completely different. It's MUCH better freshly grated too....
    "In the world of martial arts, respect is often a given. In the real world, it must be earned."

"A stupid man's report of what a clever man says is never accurate because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand. "--Bertrand Russell

"Liberals - Cosmopolitan critics, men who are the friends of every country save their own. "--Benjamin Disraeli

yeah I know but it still one of the great 'spices'.
    Do you like curry? I'm not that big of a fan but in certain chicken dishes it's heavenly. My favorite 'spicy food' gotta be anything from the Sechuan (sp?) kitchen. And I aint talkin about the kind you can find abroad in so called chinese resturants were most chefs are from Vietnam. Since I ate in Beijing it just aint the same
    All right now, son, I want you to get a good night's rest. And remember, I could murder you while you sleep.
    Hey son, I bought you a puppy today after work. But then I killed it and ate it! Hahah, I´m just kidding. I would never buy you a puppy.

"Three witches watch three Swatch watches. Which witch watch which Swatch watch?"

"Three switched witches watch three Swatch watch switches. Which switched witch watch which Swatch watch switch?."

Thumbs up

Sriracha

Good stuff

Any peanut sauce.
    Bless you

Kristoffer,

I am lucky to live where I live. The inexplicably named Formosa Cafe near where I live is a hole in the wall that serves QUITE authentic Szechuan food---right down to the liberal use of oil and fresh, not pre-ground, szechuan peppercorn powder. They even have pork and preserved vegetable (preserved chinese mustard greens for you uneducated yahoos) soup--something I am sure most places aren't brave enough to try. I remember seeing twice cooked pork on the menu...ordered it, and it came out as PORK BELLY. I knew I was in the right place since that's the right cut for twice cooked pork.

Curry is more a way of cooking vice a flavor. All different types of curries.

Habeneros hottest pepper on the planet!!!
    Go Surf!
    Train hard and work hard to gain mastery.
    Do not train and you gain nothing.
    Spread good karma!!! Because if you dont, you get hit by bad karma!!!
    Then you will step in dog crap!!!=)
    Karate's better!!!

Whats that chili sauce in the asian market with the green lid and the picture of a chicken on the front, thats got good heat and flavor.
    At a boy Luther!!!!

Scorned woman

It's one of those small label hot sauces. Use moderately.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Thumbs up MP

a hole in the wall that serves QUITE authentic Szechuan food

Lucky baastard Funny, the greatest resturant I have ever eaten at was also a 'whole in the wall'. You gotta respect them holes