Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: UFC 1-4 allowed all strikes & pressure points

UFC 1-4 allowed all strikes & pressure points

UFC 1-4 allowed all:

. pressure points attacks
    . strikes to: nuts, throat, eyes, back of head & neck down to the full spine
    . small joint manipulations including wrist locks, thumb locks, bending & breaking fingers & toes, etc.
    . all strike positions with elbows, knees, headbutts, etc.
    . downed opponent, no problem with soccer kicking his head, head stomps, crashing knee to the throat, nuts, etc.
    . all throws, take downs, suplex, piledriver, etc.

Not Allowed (but didn't DQ, just $1k fine): eye gouging (where it's not a strike but trying to scoop eyeballs out of their socket), fish-hooking and biting.

But since these didn't DQ and only $1k fine imposed per incident, the fight would be stopped and then restarted standing up which would allow someone caught in, ie. a choke hold to cheaply get out. Grand Prize was $60,000 (1993) which is about $93,000 today so that's well worth the $1k fine, even 10x and still come out ahead. I think fighters gets $1k/fight if they lose, and more if they win also.

Kung-Fu guy and a Judoka, both started to bite Royce Gracie when they were caught....which was why Gracie tried to break their arm after they tapped and the ref had to pull him off.

the 90s called it wants its thread back

When I fought Vale tudo in the mid and late 90's there were only two rules:
    Respect the tap, respect the ref.
    Honestly, any guy hat tried to bit or fish hook or eye gouge got ****ed up pretty bad.
    If you wanted to make sure your opponent, who ever it was, was not going to respect you and go out of his way to hurt you, you'd try to pull one of those stupid moves and pay the price.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    As a mod, I don't have to explain myself to you.

Quote Originally Posted by MasterKiller View Post
    Can you feel the love tonight...
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    I doubt his love felt much for days after that
    Chan Tai San Book at https://www.createspace.com/4891253

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    well, like LKFMDC - he's a genuine Kung Fu Hero™
    Quote Originally Posted by Taixuquan99 View Post
    As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

So ironic, that years later he would be sent to prison for gangraping someone. I guess Hackney just started his karma payback sooner.
    "God gave you a brain, and it annoys Him greatly when you choose not to use it."

Honestly, any guy hat tried to bit or fish hook or eye gouge got ****ed up pretty bad.
    If you wanted to make sure your opponent, who ever it was, was not going to respect you and go out of his way to hurt you, you'd try to pull one of those stupid moves and pay the price.
    I have read the same thing by fighters who were involed with the first UFC. They advertised it as "no rules", but there was kind of an unwritten rule that it was a sport contest and you just didn't do that.
    "God gave you a brain, and it annoys Him greatly when you choose not to use it."

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin73 View Post
    I have read the same thing by fighters who were involed with the first UFC. They advertised it as "no rules", but there was kind of an unwritten rule that it was a sport contest and you just didn't do that.
    I can't speak for 1 to 3, but we were invited to UFC 4 and sent the "rules" they were actually 7 pages of rules....
    Chan Tai San Book at https://www.createspace.com/4891253

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    well, like LKFMDC - he's a genuine Kung Fu Hero™
    Quote Originally Posted by Taixuquan99 View Post
    As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

That was pretty decent nut justice right there (for the future) as Jo Son and maybe 1 or 2 others, were convicted of kidnapping and raping some female anally (so probably vaginally also). He's serving a long jail sentence right now.

But 2 guys did bite Royce Gracie when they were caught. Jason Delucia (Kung-Fu) was caught in an armbar I believe. And Remco Pardo, a gi choke for rear mount. You can see them both ending up tapping like crazy when the biting didn't do squat. The ref had to jump in and use force to get Gracie off of them. Both incidents in UFC 2.

Not sure if there were others, as sometimes people didn't talk about it.

Gracie also used a cheap move in UFC 3 when he pulled on Kimo's ponytail to get out of a tight spot and/or gain leverage. He even ripped the ponytail off of his scalp. Gracie beat him, but Kimo messed up Gracie bad enough that he couldn't fight the 2nd fight.

Quote Originally Posted by Frost View Post
    the 90s called it wants its thread back
    haha yea....but a lot of these "Too Deadly for Sports Fighting" masters of chopsocky always cry about too many rules in the UFC....when UFC 1-4 let you do just about everything. And Vale Tudo was even more brutal.

No kidding right....imagine if some clown represents himself to be some Master of Chopsocky with 20th dan whatever... and just starts biting people in the nuts when he fights. People who calls themselves Martial Artists that fights like that are just an embarrassment. Worse are the idiots paying money to have someone teach them how to bite at dude's testicles.

Quote Originally Posted by lkfmdc View Post
    I can't speak for 1 to 3, but we were invited to UFC 4 and sent the "rules" they were actually 7 pages of rules....
    Well usually, a rules handbook would also includes what's legal and expected, so it's not just 7 pages of what's illegal. Weapons, enhancement drugs, etc. all the way down to exact types of attires acceptable would all be spelled out by a lawyer as well as various other liability and indemnification clauses, etc. to cover all bases from prosecutions and/or civil complaints in such an event.

It's called human nature.

MMA...even Vale Tudo...is not warefare. It is essentially "male dominance" competition.

It would take either some seriously deep psychological (de)programming to eliminate all those unwritten rules or some deep psychological issues.

It's the same for animals in the wild. Same species combat is different from inter-species "combat". Only the former is called "combat". The latter is called "hunting".