Thread: Boxing vs. Kung-Fu and other Asian MA's

Hybrid View

I like training. I train to have decent endurance, I train to apply things I find useful or fun, I try to train to improve by seeing what better fighters than me from any style or venue. That said, that level has almost nothing to do with self defense situations. I've yet to see a self defense scenario that came down to endurance, in bouncing, or in my younger days where half the people I knew were dealing drugs and ending up in stupid stuff. Never once did endurance play even the slightest role.

More often than not, the person able to take a hit won, or the person who struck first, or struck first most effectively, so working technique is obviously useful. But for self defense, the main advantage for endurance is running, imo.

Training for self defense is boring and training for mostly the least qualified opponents.

35 years ago I knew a guy who took a baseball bat to the back of his head, he turned around, took the bat away from his assailant, and taught him what's what!

Many martial artists suffer from too much martial arts experience and not enough real life experience.

I love these guys who think that us older guys are all fat. We'll see which ones can keep up with us when they reach our ages, LOL!

Quote Originally Posted by Scott R. Brown View Post
    35 years ago I knew a guy who took a baseball bat to the back of his head, he turned around, took the bat away from his assailant, and taught him what's what!

Many martial artists suffer from too much martial arts experience and not enough real life experience.

I love these guys who think that us older guys are all fat. We'll see which ones can keep up with us when they reach our ages, LOL!
    My best friend's father, an unathletic overweight older man, was once in a situation where a younger man came out of his car, angry over being yelled at for being a bad driver, and approached him with a baseball bat. My friend's father said, "Son, if you need a baseball bat to beat me up, you've got real problems." The guy went right back to his car.

Quote Originally Posted by Faux Newbie View Post
    My best friend's father, an unathletic overweight older man, was once in a situation where a younger man came out of his car, angry over being yelled at for being a bad driver, and approached him with a baseball bat. My friend's father said, "Son, if you need a baseball bat to beat me up, you've got real problems." The guy went right back to his car.
    LOL, Great story! Sometimes that's all it takes, strategy and tactics.

I taught my, somewhat wimpy, nephew to deal with his high school bullies using self-deprecating humor. It worked the first time he tried it, and no one got hurt. It also tends to make the bullies into friends, which ends the bullying.

But if we all know conflict management, we lose any hope of heroic action fights involving butterfly knives!

At least we still have the internet.

But if we all know conflict management, we lose any hope of heroic action fights involving butterfly knives!

At least we still have the internet.
    And computer games, LOL!

I like training. I train to have decent endurance, I train to apply things I find useful or fun, I try to train to improve by seeing what better fighters than me from any style or venue. That said, that level has almost nothing to do with self defense situations. I've yet to see a self defense scenario that came down to endurance, in bouncing, or in my younger days where half the people I knew were dealing drugs and ending up in stupid stuff. Never once did endurance play even the slightest role.

More often than not, the person able to take a hit won, or the person who struck first, or struck first most effectively, so working technique is obviously useful. But for self defense, the main advantage for endurance is running, imo.

Training for self defense is boring and training for mostly the least qualified opponents.
    So what your saying is that the person who does not train hard, spar hard for multiple rounds, strength train, ect. it going to be better equipped to take a hit, strike first, and strike most effectively as opposed to someone who trains all these things on a regular basis

Intelligence and more so Experience is what will trump youth and strength. That being said, the person who is intelligent, has experience, and still trains at a high level is where it is. No substitution for proper training, none.
    "The hero and the coward both feel the same thing, but the hero projects his fear onto his opponent while the coward runs. 'Fear'. It's the same thing, but it's what you do with it that matters". -Cus D'Amato

Quote Originally Posted by Iron_Eagle_76 View Post
    So what your saying is that the person who does not train hard, spar hard for multiple rounds, strength train, ect. it going to be better equipped to take a hit, strike first, and strike most effectively as opposed to someone who trains all these things on a regular basis
    No, I wasn't saying that. I'm saying in most situations, endurance never plays a role. I'm not arguing against endurance training, just saying that the truth is, I don't do it for self defense because, aside from running, I've really never seen any evidence that it is a major factor in the vast majority of self defense situations. I'm not arguing that the street is this uber deadly thing, it's a stupid, utterly ridiculous type of environment, and for me, I don't focus my training on it.

However, I will disagree on one aspect you brought up. The one most capable to hit first is the one who ambushes, and no one else, in the most worrisome self defense situations. Everything else is bumfights footage, I don't know a single person over 35 who isn't working security who ever gets in a chest to chest argument where a punch might get thrown, and this suggests to me that attitude and judgment trump training in reality.

That said, I like training, so I train.

Intelligence and more so Experience is what will trump youth and strength. That being said, the person who is intelligent, has experience, and still trains at a high level is where it is. No substitution for proper training, none.
    I agree on experience(vs. mere age).

I think that the ambusher always has the advantage, regardless of training, if training is the first line of defense. Only after that point does anything else matter.

That said, training is awesome fun. If I want to feel uber deadly, I make sure I have a sharp knife, but I don't see how endurance comes into play in most street fights, so I'm not training endurance because of street fights. If I were going to train for street fights, I would train knife and gun skills over strength and endurance training. If that were my logic.