My base is Muay Thai + Muay Thai and BJJ if it goes to the ground. One of my interests is to spar vs. other styles to pickup different techniques that I can use vs. Muay Thai and mainstream MMA in general. Once in a while, we would get someone from other styles training in our MT class. But they usually get clobbered in the hands dept. or when clinched.

Versus Kung-Fu, I get hit from many angles, and at times...by both open palms almost at the same time. Sometimes they slap me like 4-6x machinegun slaps while I'm covered. Maybe because it's only light sparring allowed that the K-F can risk hitting me like this as it can't be a good idea at full power sparring. Some kicks are very high, loopy and comes out of nowhere, which does catch me off guard. My hands stay up really high vs. K-F to guard against these. The MT "cross shield" works well against straight kicks at all levels. K-F movement is very good side to side and circular, trying not to go straight back. What works vs. K-F is for me to pressure fight with my Boxing and not give K-F space to set up those wild kicks. I still get hit sometimes with a crescent kick to the head from punching range. It doesn't hurt, and he's not holding back as you really can't pull the power of that kick too much while under the stress of being chased and cut off constantly almost, by me. I keep it at jab range to almost hook range almost at all times and spamming a ton of jabs (30-50 per round) while bobbing & weaving forward with hand combos. When I start clinch fighting, it's usually very bad for the K-F. I'm not throwing hard knees, just taps....but I am clinching very hard and yanking his head (driving) to one side while in the MT Plum, then 1-2 knees to the face then driving opposite direction, knees...repeat. It's very easy to get the full MT clinch as K-F doesn't seem to know how to address it. They usually tell me that I'm not allowed to clinch anymore.

My main avoidance is to not get kicked at the weird angles that I'm not used to. This pressure fighting with Western Boxing works especially well against TKD where they really need space to setup their kicking combos, and most deadly is probably the spinning back kick counter which works really well against MT. Another variation of the back kick is the horse kick which I think is better. And TKD's hand strikes are usually terrible. The same strategy also seems to work well against Karate who also likes to keep distance to setup kicks and don't seem to like in-fighting too much.

Oddly enough, against pure Muay Thai, I would do the same to avoid trading kicks to the leg. I don't like standing there and trade punishment until one gives like it's usually done in MT. I stay just a little ****her though to avoid clinch fighting and med to long range knees. I don't play the clinch game vs. other MT's neither (only when I have to). Just spamming jabs again, looking for that opening for power punches.

Against pure Boxers though, I would stay out of punching range and just low leg kick their lead leg all day while circling. Only engage when that leg is hurt. I don't box against pure Boxers. Although it's very rare for me to find a pure Boxer that would agree to spar with kicks.

It seems like many of the Asian MA's are weak in the boxing dept. And as long as a Boxer knows how to address kicks, knees and clinch...like not dipping too low to get kneed in the face and especially train to shield kicks, square out, catch, etc. I think Boxers can do extremely well against chopsocky. Once you kick a Boxer, you're off balance and he can return with 3-4 punches before you can reset and kick him again. But Boxing alone is bad news vs. kicks:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EDjE4BywrE4