Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Major outer reap

If it is time to throw, it happens. Technique is dictated by your intent and the situation as it presents itself.
    Quote Originally Posted by bawang View Post
    if the epitome of CMA is dancing like a transgender Uyghur acrobat with down syndrome, then by all means.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MightyB View Post
    I disagree. If you're really good at throwing, you look for the opportunity to throw whenever possible.
    Agree with MightyB on this. It's better to "create" your opportunity than to "wait" for your opponent to arrive. Since your "rooting leg" position can decide whether your "attacking leg" will be able to reach to your opponent's leg or not. You have to watch your opponent's forward foot position and coordinate your footwork with it.

The worse nightmare for a grappler is when your opponent gives you a throwing opportunity, your hands and feet are not at the right position and at the right time. The moment that you have readjust your hands and feet position, that opportunity is gone.

The "front cut" is very easy to set up. All you need is a left arm downward parry on your opponent's leading arm, followed by an arm wrap (spin your opponent's arm and then catch it on the other end), also use your other arm to "comb hair" and deflect your opponent's other arm. But you have to drill this kind of set up to the death in order to be good at it. The nice thing about this set up is you can integrate it into your daily walking. Every time that after my 4 miles running on the beach, I would walk 2 miles and train both "front cut" foot work and arms set up. This way I won't feel guilty by doing running for "health" only.
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 11-06-2013 at 12:45 PM.
    http://johnswang.com

More opinion -> more argument
    Less opinion -> less argument
    No opinion -> no argument

Quote Originally Posted by GoldenBrain View Post
    For the outer reap over the arm no. When you deflect with the right hand you can either keep the palm down, grab and pull the arm, then reap or palm up and still pull or rather guide the arm with the back of the hand and then reap. Either way you basically let go of the arm when you throw them to the ground. For me the follow up on this one is to stomp, run away or drop on top of them and use grappling techniques and/or strikes from the ground.

If you use outer reap and go in under the arm then arm control to the ground can be maintained.

If you are going around for the choke then the control to the ground is their head. I think a blood choke works best for this. If the technique is done correctly you should already be grabbing for the blood choke while they are dropping to the ground. It's lights out pretty quickly if you are able to lock them down with your knee in their back and shoulder tight to the back of their head. An experienced or game fighter can escape this if your not tight enough so be prepared to stay on or retake their back and go for a more standard rear naked choke.

While I'm on chokes I'll talk about a variation of the rear naked I like to use. It's a one handed version that you can use if you have them wrapped up with your legs and one of their arms pinned under one of your legs. In this instance you can use just one hand to apply the choke. Instead of wrapping your hand around your arm you hug in close and wrap your hand around the back of your neck like you're giving yourself a half nelson. Then just lean your head back to apply the choke and use your free hand to block their free hand.
    Even after you confirmed that this was from orthodox stance, I was still thinking of southpaw. I'm caught up now!

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by MightyB View Post
    You mean I'm not supposed to use the internet as an excuse to turn random people into my own entertainment like some passive aggressive coward sociopath.

I've been internetting all wrong!!!
    Not entirely wrong. Just not as right as me.

Quote Originally Posted by Faux Newbie View Post
    Even after you confirmed that this was from orthodox stance, I was still thinking of southpaw. I'm caught up now!

Thanks!
    No problem. You know though, it can really be from either stance. If you are in southpaw you just use a triangle stepping to slip to the outside and you will be in orthodox. From orthodox you can just launch off your right (back) foot on a 45 to the outside. That's the beauty of this type of stepping. You can go from inside to outside to inside to outside very easily. Step-check-deflect-strike…etc. I've gotten to the point that my triangle stepping just kind of floats in the air from one stance (orthodox/southpaw) to the other. That sounded weird so I'll try explaining it this way… I kind of just hop from right foot lead to left foot lead on 45 degree angles. Anywhoo, I'm sure you get it.

Quote Originally Posted by GoldenBrain View Post
    No problem. You know though, it can really be from either stance. If you are in southpaw you just use a triangle stepping to slip to the outside and you will be in orthodox. From orthodox you can just launch off your right (back) foot on a 45 to the outside. That's the beauty of this type of stepping. You can go from inside to outside to inside to outside very easily. Step-check-deflect-strike…etc. I've gotten to the point that my triangle stepping just kind of floats in the air from one stance (orthodox/southpaw) to the other. That sounded weird so I'll try explaining it this way… I kind of just hop from right foot lead to left foot lead on 45 degree angles. Anywhoo, I'm sure you get it.
    Oh yeah, I know what you mean. I was more picturing you doing it from one stance, but with the opposite to the hand work you were actually describing.