Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: form interpretation

Quote Originally Posted by bawang View Post
    they got very strong and agile legs. in Canadian Chinatown kung fu, everybody got floppy rabbit feet. you know what im talking about? where they flop their feet around and their legs wobble like rubber.
    I do know what you're talking about. There are exceptions, of course. But that seems to be the rule.

Interpreting forms reminds me of people who did seminars back in the 1990s attempting to "reveal" the secret bunkai from their karate kata. None of this stuff is really secret. There are many, many books which explain these things, and friendly masters that teach publicly who will gladly show you if you aren't one of those oriental fetish people.

Quote Originally Posted by pazman View Post
    Interpreting forms reminds me of people who did seminars back in the 1990s attempting to "reveal" the secret bunkai from their karate kata. None of this stuff is really secret. There are many, many books which explain these things, and friendly masters that teach publicly who will gladly show you if you aren't one of those oriental fetish people.
    Anyone remember when William Cheung taught the secret biu gee form back in the day? What a joke. I do not doubt he won his fair share of street fights in Hong Kong but not with the help of that form.

Quote Originally Posted by bawang View Post
    you missed the point. its about the foolishness of finding "interpretations" in kung fu.
    Amen. It's one thing for something to evolve into something else, another entirely to presume that it was the original intent. There is usually one, MAYBE two things a particular move applies WELL to, and where there's two, it's because the body mechanics of the two activities are very similar.

Quote Originally Posted by Spiked View Post
    Anyone remember when William Cheung taught the secret biu gee form back in the day? What a joke. I do not doubt he won his fair share of street fights in Hong Kong but not with the help of that form.
    Is this a wing chun thing? Then no, I do not.