Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: UFC's Lyoto Machida + His Wrestling Coach Kenny Johnson: Chi Sao + Takedown Defense D

Blog Entries

UFC's Lyoto Machida + His Wrestling Coach Kenny Johnson: Chi Sao + Takedown Defense D

Good interview...Machida is a perfect example of training traditional arts realistically....
    Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    This is 100% TCMA principle. It may be used in non-TCMA also. Since I did learn it from TCMA, I have to say it's TCMA principle.
    We should not use "TCMA is more than combat" as excuse for not "evolving".

You can have Kung Fu in cooking, it really has nothing to do with fighting!

Good clip. It's posts like this that keep me coming back to this forum.
    "No contaban con mi astucia!" --el Chapulin Colorado

http://www.vingtsunaz.com/
    www.nationalvt.com/

An MMA champion doing Chi Sao? Say it ain't so!!!

Quote Originally Posted by KPM View Post
    An MMA champion doing Chi Sao? Say it ain't so!!!
    it isn't so, he was doing some hibred stuff mixing his close range karate hand fighting with his sumo hand fighting he has never had a wing chun class in his life, then what you have is someone classing it as chi Sao because they don't know any better

Quote Originally Posted by Frost View Post
    it isn't so, he was doing some hibred stuff mixing his close range karate hand fighting with his sumo hand fighting he has never had a wing chun class in his life, then what you have is someone classing it as chi Sao because they don't know any better
    I think they mention JKD in that clip and it seems that there has been a wider trend of JKD instructors getting into mma gyms.

Quote Originally Posted by Paddington View Post
    I think they mention JKD in that clip and it seems that there has been a wider trend of JKD instructors getting into mma gyms.
    Kenny mentioned it, but ive never heard any mention of it before in anything Machida does, Kenny probably looked at what they were doing with their hands and just assumed it was jkd sticking hands, either that or the guys there are playing around with it to warm up because Anderson sometimes plays around with goofy stuff lol
    Either way Machida publically credits his fathers karate for his striking ability, his sumo training for his ability to defend the clinch, and his BJJ for his ground skills

There is a trend for some MMA gyms to bring in teachers of other styles in order to broaden they appeal and make more money (Mainly krav maga guys from what i see and im sure some jkd guys as well) i have yet to see them actually training any fighters at the gym just offering classes in their art

blackhouse would never bring in a jkd guy to teach anything it would add absolutely nothing to their game and take away from what they are doing, they already have the best striking, grappling and clinch coaches in the world (like Kenny) they really don’t need anything else

Thanks for the additional information Frost.

Okinawan arts have a "chi sao" type of training called "udekitae", or something like that.
    More 'arm rubbing" then chi sao per say but at the higher levels it is very soft and yielding like "chi sao" can be.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Nobody said it was specifically Wing Chun Chi Sao. Chi Sao just means "sticking hands." So from a rather generic perspective, what they are doing is "Chi Sao." And it bears a pretty good resemblance to the "Poon Sao" rolling that the Mainland versions of Wing Chun do. I used to roll with a 6th degree Black Belt in Kenpo using a loose "Poon Sao" platform. He considered it to be "Chi Sao" in a general sense.

i will also say kenny johnson is a really nice guy and will take ill of no one and no art, so what he says in an interview and what he really thinks only those that have trained with him will know

I have also just remembered dan inosanto is a srudent of kennys so that might be where his referencing to jkd comes from

blackhouse would never bring in a jkd guy to teach anything it would add absolutely nothing to their game and take away from what they are doing, they already have the best striking, grappling and clinch coaches in the world (like Kenny) they really don’t need anything else
    blackhouse is kind of a loose conglomerate gym rather than anything with a head coach putting together a gameplan. any one of the athletes there can bring in anyone they want. a friend of mine got brought out for a week for one of Rashad's camps for wrestling. Rashad didn't use him at all but he ended up working with Overeem most of the week. The fighters kind of do what they want for camps. If one of them wanted to bring in a jkd guy, or a ballet dancer, or Steven Seagal, they could easily.

Kenny mentioned it, but ive never heard any mention of it before in anything Machida does, Kenny probably looked at what they were doing with their hands and just assumed it was jkd sticking hands, either that or the guys there are playing around with it to warm up because Anderson sometimes plays around with goofy stuff lol
    Either way Machida publically credits his fathers karate for his striking ability, his sumo training for his ability to defend the clinch, and his BJJ for his ground skills

There is a trend for some MMA gyms to bring in teachers of other styles in order to broaden they appeal and make more money (Mainly krav maga guys from what i see and im sure some jkd guys as well) i have yet to see them actually training any fighters at the gym just offering classes in their art

Frost is just mad because we took his colonies and reduced his country to the little island that it is

The chi Sao in that clip was lame. There was no reason for it. They were just spinning their hands.

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    Okinawan arts have a "chi sao" type of training called "udekitae", or something like that.
    More 'arm rubbing" then chi sao per say but at the higher levels it is very soft and yielding like "chi sao" can be.
    Yes Karate has it's own "chi sao", I'm not sure on the Japanese name...but lots of schools of Okinawan Karate translate it to "sticky hands" as well. There are lots of variations; and many styles derived of southern Kung Fu do some form of sticky hands...
    This is 100% TCMA principle. It may be used in non-TCMA also. Since I did learn it from TCMA, I have to say it's TCMA principle.
    We should not use "TCMA is more than combat" as excuse for not "evolving".

You can have Kung Fu in cooking, it really has nothing to do with fighting!