Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Shadow Boxing

Since the first post, I worked the same routine. Yesterday, for the fun of it, I changed it up.

Round 1- footwork from right lead, normal footwork, nothing fancy, just to get the legs warmed up
    Round 2- Footwork from left lead
    Round 3- Combos involving kicks to strikes from right lead, light and loose
    Round 4- Combos involving kicks to strikes from left lead, light and loose
    Round 5- Combos involving strikes to kicks from right lead, light and loose
    Round 6- Shadowboxing in a space where three sides were open to attack, one was closed(furniture acted as the bounds), attack was assumed to come from any side, only one step into any of the three directions allowed, since weaving makes one vulnerable from some angles, this made moving into targets the easiest way to keep from being a stationary target- in this round, entering with strikes, but the combos must involve kicks
    Round 7- Same as 6
    Round 8- As 6, but entering with combos that start with kicks, but must involve hand strikes as well
    Round 9- Same as 8
    Round 10- Free form, working in same 1-2 new moves
    Round 11- Free form, working in same 1-2 new moves
    Round 12- Free form, working in same 1-2 new moves

During the kicking section, focus was on training kicks at both low and high angles, this emphasis carried over to other sections, for example, in 6-9, some kicks low, some high. Of course, some 'kicks' were more throw related than what are often called kicks as well.

I use it for warm up mostly. (shadow boxing)
    It's good for co-ordinating footwork with strikes etc.

yesterday spent about 1/2 hour with different footwork and accompanying strike patterns. then heavy bag work and some weapons retention drills.

Oh, we did a form too.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

I'm familiar with several boxing champs who considered it important for bigger reasons than warm up, others who don't.

Latest Sessions:

Round 1-2: Carrying dumbbells, keeping guard hands up, doing basic footwork with fairly fast paced music playing to make for different rhythm.
    Round 3-4: Same as 1-2, only lower stance to work the height needed to adopt for body shots.
    Round 5-6: Still with dumbbells, working each kick from basic steps(shuffles forward, back, left, right, secret step forward, quick retreat of lead leg)
    Round 7-8: Same as 1-2
    Round 9-10: Same as 3-4
    Round 11-12: Same as 5-6, or, put down dumbbells and work free shadow boxing.

OR

Round 1-2: Same as 1-2 above, without dumbbells
    Round 3-4: Same as 3-4 above, without dumbbells
    Round 5-6: As 5-6 above, without dumbbells
    Round 7-8: Working strikes, kicks, slips, while continuously moving with basic steps
    Round 9-10: Working a passage, where there is a "pass" where I move and evade and strike and kick until I come to the end of the pass, which must end with a throwing tech and turn to face the other side and do the same that direction, back and forth, though within each one pass, there will be advances and withdrawals, etc.
    Round 11-12: Working the T: arranging furniture so that there is a T where the area to work in involves three possible directions of movement, at the center of the T there are three possible directions attack could come from, everywhere else there are two possible directions attack could come from, trying to pay attention to not becoming tunnel visioned around an offense in a way that makes me neglect defense of the other areas.

The latest alteration to my routine came after sparring a buddy here, he has less experience than me, so it wasn't a session full of epiphanies, but I did find my cross tended to lag, so I wanted to work more basic strikes.

The second alteration came after watching some sanda, the fighter I was watching was very solid on transitioning from legs to hands (striking/kicking), so I noted some of the common situations and responses he was using.

I don't use the round timer (working out at 5 AM and the cabal of old Chinese ladies in my neighborhood could lead to death by gardening tool if I wake anyone up), but the routine is based around the same things as before (working each move from six basic steps)

Basic Steps:
    1. Shuffle forward
    2. Shuffle left
    3. Shuffle right
    4. Shuffle back
    5. Hidden step forward
    6. Withdrawing step back

Each time, I work each of the following basic long range strikes from each of the preceding steps:

1. Jab
    2. jab cross
    3. Cross
    4. Got punch (a sort of jab)

followed by one of the following:

Kicks
    1. Toe thrust
    2. Cross kick
    3. Teep
    4. Round kick(lead)
    5. Round kick(rear)
    6. Lotus (focus on heel)

Leg Related
    1. Reap
    2. scoop inside into kick
    3. Scoop outside into throw

5 Throws (One set from lead, one step with a switch step)

So the beginning is shuffle forward-jab-toekick, then shuffle left-jab-toe-kick, after doing this from all six basic steps, then I switch to orthodox and do it again, then replace the jab with jab-cross and repeat, then replace it with cross, then got punch, then switch kicks and do it all again.

I plan on switching it every couple days with a routine based around following up basic kicks with hand strikes, as that routine obviously focuses on striking before kicks. After a week or so of doing this routine, I'll add in a day of more freestyle shadow boxing.

I'm really enjoying experimenting around with this. With a few exceptions, I think I've shadow boxed six days out of the week for the last six months. Of course, when I can fit other training in, especially sparring, I do, and I seem to be progressing well.

My main training partner here is not experienced at standup, but has some experience with bjj, so I'm looking forward to training some new things on the side, and plan on working in some shadow boxing with staff in a month or so.
    Last edited by Faux Newbie; 12-01-2014 at 01:37 AM.

2 of my friends and I wrote up some tips on shadowboxing/shadowfighting.

http://www.stickgrappler.net/2012/10...part-1-by.html

http://www.stickgrappler.net/2012/10...part-2-by.html

http://www.stickgrappler.net/2012/10...part-3-by.html

http://www.stickgrappler.net/2012/10...part-4-by.html

I wrote part 3, my friend Ausgepicht wrote part 1, and my other friend wrote parts 2 and 4. We wrote it up not from specific techniques point of view but what you should be doing for shadowfighting/shadowboxing overall.

Hope you find use from at least one of these 4 parts. Good luck in your training/shadowfighting!

Awesome, I'll start reading them tomorrow! Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Stickgrappler View Post
    2 of my friends and I wrote up some tips on shadowboxing/shadowfighting.

http://www.stickgrappler.net/2012/10...part-1-by.html

http://www.stickgrappler.net/2012/10...part-2-by.html

http://www.stickgrappler.net/2012/10...part-3-by.html

http://www.stickgrappler.net/2012/10...part-4-by.html

I wrote part 3, my friend Ausgepicht wrote part 1, and my other friend wrote parts 2 and 4. We wrote it up not from specific techniques point of view but what you should be doing for shadowfighting/shadowboxing overall.

Hope you find use from at least one of these 4 parts. Good luck in your training/shadowfighting!

Just read the first one, really liked it, and definitely rings true for me.

It makes me crazy mad when I realize the strike I just threw was just into air, versus having intent toward an implied target.

And where I'm looking. At the beginning (5 AM), I have to really force myself some days to be mindful of where I'm looking, as some days I'm not really awake yet.

Looking forward to reading part 2, thanks again!

Quote Originally Posted by Faux Newbie View Post
    Just read the first one, really liked it, and definitely rings true for me.

It makes me crazy mad when I realize the strike I just threw was just into air, versus having intent toward an implied target.

And where I'm looking. At the beginning (5 AM), I have to really force myself some days to be mindful of where I'm looking, as some days I'm not really awake yet.

Looking forward to reading part 2, thanks again!
    Excellent! You are welcome!

The three of us approached shadowboxing/shadowwrestling/shadowfighting from a conceptual point of view vs specific techniques pov. You have what you want to work on techniques-wise, now broaden your training to truly reap the benefits of shadowboxing.

Truly hope those tips help in your training!

Excellent! You are welcome!
    Finished reading the other two, enjoyed it. Many of the things were good things to keep in mind, many were things I found myself also doing as my practice progressed. I feel pretty good about the fact that I am anal about practicing both sides every time...

The three of us approached shadowboxing/shadowwrestling/shadowfighting from a conceptual point of view vs specific techniques pov.
    Yes, if you only work the techs you know, sometimes you miss things that reveal missing or underdeveloped tools that you should also work.

You have what you want to work on techniques-wise, now broaden your training to truly reap the benefits of shadowboxing.
    I actually am looking forward to starting to add stick work to my routine, but the sessions are already pretty long, so I suspect it's going to kick my butt the first few days.

Truly hope those tips help in your training!
    Definitely. One thing I was going to comment on, not necessarily a disagreement with what is written in there, but a different thought.

There is one section where it is mentioned that it is good to reach the point of exhaustion, because that is how you will fight in reality. I have a slightly different view on this, I'd be curious to hear your opinion of it.

Exhausted is how one fights after the fight begins, the struggle, requiring rapid firing of muscles with potentially lots of unexpected moments, can tire us out quickly. But I would say at the start, our techniques may be more like the first time we do them in a day, without loosening up, without having done them at all that day.

This is the danger I see in some drills where it is just a string of the same technique, like doing 100 chain punches looped together (or any move that is not returning you to a guard, but setting up the same move over and over, like a spear thrust done 1000 times). In my opinion, the only one that counts is the first one in most cases. If the first five are okay, and the subsequent 95 are nice and fluid, the first five are a more accurate representation of how you do that move, the following are that move from an unrealistic chaining together of the same move.

This is why, when drilling a move, I tie it to shuffles in different directions. It changes the context and I have to be refined in how I do that move from that context.

It's also why I like to shadow box early in the morning. If I practice later, perhaps training with partners, while training with partners I am never doing the move for the first time in the day, so I get more out of it, and am not tight or disorganized in my movement. Likewise, if I had to use my martial arts in a situation, unless they attack me at 4:45 AM, my odds are better. At 4:45, I might be in trouble.

Hello Faux Newbie:

*puts left palm to right fist*

>>The three of us approached shadowboxing/shadowwrestling/shadowfighting from a conceptual point of view vs specific techniques pov.

>Yes, if you only work the techs you know, sometimes you miss things that reveal missing or underdeveloped tools that you should also work.

By 'underdeveloped tools' you are still thinking on the technique level. We were approaching shadowboxing from the conceptual level of what you should you be concentrating on and looking for as feedback, how to go about shadowboxing, mindset, etc. Know what I mean?

> I actually am looking forward to starting to add stick work to my routine, but the sessions are already pretty long, so I suspect it's going to kick my butt the first few days.

If you have the time for it, add it in, but if not, do empty hands one day, stickwork the next, etc.

>One thing I was going to comment on, not necessarily a disagreement with what is written in there, but a different thought.

Please ... what we wrote is not set in stone, find your Way, see what works for You, what we wrote were just suggestions, not meant to be the gospel. As Bruce Lee said (i think it was Bruce, it may have been Dan Inosanto), 'My truth is not your truth.' It's ok to disagree just as long as it works for you, may or may not work for me, but ultimately you should be concerned with what works for you.

You have a point about the first rep vs the 955 others after it. But perhaps there's a semantics/definition misunderstanding ... shadowboxing to me is not drilling one technique X amount of times, and then drilling the next tech Y amount of times ... shadowboxing is the integration of various techniques including footwork as if you had a live opponent in front of you (if sport) or as if a real BG (bad guy) was in front of you and you are fighting for your life.

So yes, fire off your technique and move and then fire off same or diff tech or combo and move. To me, that is shadowboxing. I call the other part you did 'drilling' - installing the technique, getting the 'muscle memory'.

LOL at 4:45AM or 5AM. Good for you!

Hello Faux Newbie:

>>The three of us approached shadowboxing/shadowwrestling/shadowfighting from a conceptual point of view vs specific techniques pov.
    Yes, I recognize your specific goals, I'll write more on my view below, but that is just my view based on my current goals, I see value beyond what I may choose to do, just to make my thoughts clear.

>Yes, if you only work the techs you know, sometimes you miss things that reveal missing or underdeveloped tools that you should also work.

By 'underdeveloped tools' you are still thinking on the technique level. We were approaching shadowboxing from the conceptual level of what you should you be concentrating on and looking for as feedback, how to go about shadowboxing, mindset, etc. Know what I mean?
    I totally follow. I tend to try to work on techniques and principles, based on a view that, at the upper end, two people who encompass similar levels of adherence to useful principles may result in one person having advantages based on precision of techniques, and that two people with similar precision of techniques may find one having advantages based on superior adherence to principles.

> I actually am looking forward to starting to add stick work to my routine, but the sessions are already pretty long, so I suspect it's going to kick my butt the first few days.

If you have the time for it, add it in, but if not, do empty hands one day, stickwork the next, etc.
    I actually try to work empty hand every (workout) day, and want to do the same with stick, but I have enough time to extend my workout. I added staff in last week as a regular thing, am having a lot of fun with it.

>One thing I was going to comment on, not necessarily a disagreement with what is written in there, but a different thought.

Please ... what we wrote is not set in stone, find your Way, see what works for You, what we wrote were just suggestions, not meant to be the gospel. As Bruce Lee said (i think it was Bruce, it may have been Dan Inosanto), 'My truth is not your truth.' It's ok to disagree just as long as it works for you, may or may not work for me, but ultimately you should be concerned with what works for you.
    I'm not really disagreeing, I think the original statement in the group's essays is correct.

You have a point about the first rep vs the 955 others after it. But perhaps there's a semantics/definition misunderstanding ... shadowboxing to me is not drilling one technique X amount of times, and then drilling the next tech Y amount of times ... shadowboxing is the integration of various techniques including footwork as if you had a live opponent in front of you (if sport) or as if a real BG (bad guy) was in front of you and you are fighting for your life.
    Agreed. The drill is merely a benchmark for me. If my first performance is not as good as my fiftieth in a day, to me, that first is probably closest to how, on the fly, it will come off.

So yes, fire off your technique and move and then fire off same or diff tech or combo and move. To me, that is shadowboxing. I call the other part you did 'drilling' - installing the technique, getting the 'muscle memory'.
    Again, totally agree. This is why I always drill with six to eight different steps leading into the technique, to instill the move in different contexts, examine how those contexts change things, find how to take those changes and express the move without bleeding power, losing some balance, etc.

This practice is something between drills and shadowboxing, but closest to drills, that I use to better inform my shadow boxing.

Part of the reason for me doing that is a knee injury I suffered in sparring some years back. For a long time, I had to be very anal about aligning my knee so it wasn't absorbing power, or it would dislocate. It was actually good practice (would have been better without needing an injury to make me do it!) So now, before I add a technique to my shadowboxing, I work it with all the most common steps so that I routinely do that move in different contexts with good alignment and balance. Then, when I add it to shadow boxing, I examine how it combines, what difficulties it raises, etc.

On the principle level, I try to examine what principles I wish to work on, how to work on them, and mainly use techniques as a doorway to those principles, not as the principle itself. Often, it is the weakness of the technique that reveals what principles to work on, for a simple example, throwing side kicks and round kicks often might make me more cognizant of principles related to dealing with an opponent now at my side more than my front in cases where my kick is unsuccessful, and make me cognizant of not dropping my rear hand to dissuade others from round kicking my face.

So, some principles I tend to work is working the situation, not forcing it, applying much of me to little of my opponent where advantageous(control the limb/head with my structure and movement to control their entire body), and sufficiency of power over obsession with it, among other things, as well as avoiding goal oriented thinking, as the only throw that fails is the throw that gets you in trouble, a throw that fails to complete in the flurry of the fight, but leaves the opponent needing to regain balance, is a great opportunity for followup.

What sort of principles do you focus on?
    Last edited by Faux Newbie; 12-17-2014 at 06:31 PM.

You sound like you know what you want from your training! Good for you! Some approach training aimlessly. No real minded-ness, no real focus

Although you were not disagreeing, my point was it's ok to disagree. Ultimately find what works for you. Don't take anybody's word as gospel. Investigate and make it your own.

I work on visualization as well as remaining balanced after execution of technique. Also observation of form mostly (which is interrelated with remaining balanced). Unlike you, i'm still a noob sadly. LOL at me.

Hope your knee has healed properly and completely!

You sound like you know what you want from your training! Good for you! Some approach training aimlessly. No real minded-ness, no real focus
    I know, I have a hard time watching someone work hard spinning their wheels, mostly from having done it myself...

Although you were not disagreeing, my point was it's ok to disagree. Ultimately find what works for you. Don't take anybody's word as gospel. Investigate and make it your own.
    I'm going to agree with that statement.

I work on visualization as well as remaining balanced after execution of technique.
    Yeah, visualization is a long process, isn't it? I don't think a session passes where I don't notice something I tend to throw into nowhere for lack of a clear picture of an opponent.

Also observation of form mostly (which is interrelated with remaining balanced).
    Yes, I draw a lot from form, as well as examining patterns in my system. It is so nice to suddenly realize that when a handful of actions in my style all are trained off the same step, exactly what that means, and then, knowing that, what that says about where energy is going and what, in my body mechanics, is missing the point.

Unlike you, i'm still a noob sadly. LOL at me.
    I only took the name Faux Newbie because I forgot my password to my old handle, so not a newbie to the forum. I try to train seriously, and have trained for a long time that way, but there are aspects to fighting I am not particularly versed at, and some I seem to do well at.

Hope your knee has healed properly and completely!
    I am well, thank you!

Shall we argue about lineage now?