Thread: more form and throw for YouKnowWho

more form and throw for YouKnowWho

Chan Tai San Book at https://www.createspace.com/4891253

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    well, like LKFMDC - he's a genuine Kung Fu Hero™
    Quote Originally Posted by Taixuquan99 View Post
    As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

Let me channel YKW in saying that I would look for the throwing intent.

If you emphasized more body torquing in combination with intentional counterforce in the leg work, you could use those movements for takedowns.

Upper lower scissoring and push pull methods to take out the base while shearing across his centerline will help.

Intent to close in for body contact and wind his around yours too.

Quote Originally Posted by -N- View Post

Let me channel YKW in saying that I would look for the throwing intent.

If you emphasized more body torquing in combination with intentional counterforce in the leg work, you could use those movements for takedowns.
    well, you channel him pretty good....

but what if by only emphasizing the body torqueing I am limiting it to just one possible interpretation?

also, this is not performance, this is "walk through" speed.. this was filmed so my si-dai could learn the set

As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

Quote Originally Posted by lkfmdc View Post
    but what if by only emphasizing the body torqueing I am limiting it to just one possible interpretation?
    Body torquing will be used whether for strike or throw, so I don't see that as a problem.

Using the first clip as an example, you turn and steal step. Right arm comes downward to connect. If you turn the head to the left, torque and sink the body, and kick the back leg backwards, it will be a takedown and power strike at the same time.

also, this is not performance, this is "walk through" speed.. this was filmed so my si-dai could learn the set
    Understood. I was just looking at the body mechanics.

Also, I don't claim SC background. I'm talking from Praying Mantis perspective, but I know there are commonalities.

Understood. I was just looking at the body mechanics.
    Also, I don't claim SC background. I'm talking from Praying Mantis perspective, but I know there are commonalities.
    it's all good, want to generate discussion and that is what we are getting

it's all good, want to generate discussion and that is what we are getting
    Technical discussions don't last long here, unfortunately.

Technical discussions don't last long here, unfortunately.
    I'm silly, because I keep trying

Second move in second clip will be Part Wild Horse's Mane takedown if you step in deeper, turn the waist to the right as you transfer weight to the front leg, press the heel into the ground, bend and press your front knee to your left. You can stick and press to emphasize just the takedown, or you can use impact for combined strike and takedown.

Blog Entries
    The most complete SC book that was published in China (a government effort) has 61 different throwing categories (I don't know why the "embracing" category is missing in that book) with total 230 throws. There are

- 35 different foot sweep,
    - 32 different leg/hand block,
    - 12 different foot scoop,
    - 8 different inner hook,
    - 9 different cracking throws,
    - 7 different leg cut,
    - 7 different leg lift,
    - 5 different leg spring,
    - 9 different shoulder throws,
    - 8 different hip throws,
    - 2 different firemen's carry,

Besides the categories of shoulder throw, hip throw, firemen's carry throw that when you perform it, both of your feet are on the ground, all the other throws require "leg skill". Most of the leg skill will end with either "golden rooster stance" or "bow arrow stance".

The reason is simple. If you can't control your opponent's leg/legs, it will be easy for your opponent to escape. If you want to control your opponent's leg/legs, you can either use your hand or leg. If you use one hand or both hands to control your opponent's leg/legs, your opponent's free hands will give you trouble. This is why it's better to use your leg to control your opponent's leg instead.

In order to look at throwing skill that may be hidden in the TCMA forms, we will need to pay attention on the "leg skill" such as cut, hook, spring, twist, block, horse back kick, lift, sweep, bite, sticky, scoop, ...

Again, the "intend" is important. A traffic cop can direct traffic all his life. He will never become a boxer just because the lacking of "intend". When we look for "intend", we should look for the body movement and not only look for the arm movement.
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 11-08-2013 at 04:08 AM.
    http://johnswang.com

More opinion -> more argument
    Less opinion -> less argument
    No opinion -> no argument

Quote Originally Posted by dlcox View Post
    I'll probally regret putting this up, but oh well...

Here is a basic form from my line of Tibetan White Crane, it's one of our forms that catalogue basic throws. It's done sloppy and at walk through pace but still should be able to see some basic throws demonstrated.

http://youtu.be/b8GWACuSqLQ
    Good speed to see the movements and set up, as you can see rooting, hand movement, and body transition to set up throws. I think the important thing to look at is what John said about intent. If you look at it from the perspective of learning the movements than applying them elsewhere, preferably with a partner in a non-compliant manner, than it can certainly be of benefit.

It is no different that doing a form only and believing it translates to striking an opponent in that manner. The techniques are there as a guide, but the application is something different.

I like Crane forms, in our system we have a Monkey-Crane form, Pai Chou, that is one of my favorites.
    "The hero and the coward both feel the same thing, but the hero projects his fear onto his opponent while the coward runs. 'Fear'. It's the same thing, but it's what you do with it that matters". -Cus D'Amato

Blog Entries
    The form is "dead" but the we are alive. We need to put "soul" (intend) into the form. Without "intend", the form is no more than dancing.

The following drill can be used as

1. a left palm strike followed by a hammer fist on your opponent's face.
    2. left hand grab on your opponent's shirt, right hand pull out a dagger from your boots and stab into his chest.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YZselP2qPv4

When you train the

- 1st application, your left hand is a palm chop.
    - 2nd application, your left hand is a grabbing.

Whatever the "intend" (soul) that you may add into your form, your form will come to alive in different way.
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 11-08-2013 at 04:27 PM.
    http://johnswang.com

More opinion -> more argument
    Less opinion -> less argument
    No opinion -> no argument