Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Knockout game

Knockout game

Have you seen this new 'game' kids are playing in NJ? Called the knockout game.

Blog Entries
    It's not new per-say, 1st time I ever heard about it was in the 90's...mabe it's even older??

I remember watching tv and there was some news reporting with some street camera that showed a group (gang) of teenagers just waiting for some unsuspecting dude to walk by. Then BLAMO, cold clocked him in the side of the head as he walked past!!!

Goal was to be able to knock someone out with one shot.

I think that's what you're referring to?
    http://cykwoon.freewebspace.com/
    https://www.youtube.com/user/Subitai

"O"..."Some people believe that you need to make another human being tap out to be a valid art. But I am constantly reminding them that I only have to defend myself and keep you from hurting me in order to Win."
    "O"..."The Hung Style practiced solely in methods of Antiquity would ultimately only be useful versus Similar skill sets"

I first heard about this stupid game, err, I mean assault around 10 years ago. Only a psycho coward would engage in this sort of behavior.

Quote Originally Posted by Subitai View Post
    It's not new per-say, 1st time I ever heard about it was in the 90's...mabe it's even older??

I remember watching tv and there was some news reporting with some street camera that showed a group (gang) of teenagers just waiting for some unsuspecting dude to walk by. Then BLAMO, cold clocked him in the side of the head as he walked past!!!

Goal was to be able to knock someone out with one shot.

I think that's what you're referring to?
    Yeah that's it, I had no idea it was that old I saw a video saying it was new, I guess not lol. Either way I can 'to wait until they hit the wrong person.

It's trending again sadly

At least, that's what the press is leading us to believe. I've seen a few reports on it recently too, Raipizo. Hard to say if it ever went away. There are a lot of stupid people out there. People still huff gasoline.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    At least, that's what the press is leading us to believe. I've seen a few reports on it recently too, Raipizo. Hard to say if it ever went away. There are a lot of stupid people out there. People still huff gasoline.
    Or do krokodil

I just started hearing about it last month when there were several incidents locally...an elderly man was killed....
    Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    This is 100% TCMA principle. It may be used in non-TCMA also. Since I did learn it from TCMA, I have to say it's TCMA principle.
    We should not use "TCMA is more than combat" as excuse for not "evolving".

You can have Kung Fu in cooking, it really has nothing to do with fighting!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    I just started hearing about it last month when there were several incidents locally...an elderly man was killed....

ARRRGGGG! Dude. seriously?? An old man?

I should be ****ed off by anybody getting wrecked that way...but I used to work in a convalescent home. I can't stand when a-holes mess with old people. No respect.

I have to go punch something now.

Ok, that didn't sound good. What I meant to say was, "reading that made me upset and I would now like to take my frustrations out on an appropriate inanimate object such as a heavy bag."
    Last edited by Subitai; 11-13-2013 at 11:26 AM.
    http://cykwoon.freewebspace.com/
    https://www.youtube.com/user/Subitai

"O"..."Some people believe that you need to make another human being tap out to be a valid art. But I am constantly reminding them that I only have to defend myself and keep you from hurting me in order to Win."
    "O"..."The Hung Style practiced solely in methods of Antiquity would ultimately only be useful versus Similar skill sets"

Quote Originally Posted by Subitai View Post
    ARRRGGGG! Dude. seriously?? An old man?

I should be ****ed off by anybody getting wrecked that way...but I used to work in a convalescent home. I can't stand when a-holes mess with old people. No respect.

I have to go punch something now.

Ok, that didn't sound good. What I meant to say was, "reading that made me upset and I would now like to take my frustrations out on an appropriate inanimate object such as a heavy bag."
    The senseless ignorance of it all boggles the mind...news reports from two local deaths...

http://www.myfoxny.com/story/2349585...y-man-attacked

http://www.syracuse.com/news/index.s..._in_syrac.html
    This is 100% TCMA principle. It may be used in non-TCMA also. Since I did learn it from TCMA, I have to say it's TCMA principle.
    We should not use "TCMA is more than combat" as excuse for not "evolving".

You can have Kung Fu in cooking, it really has nothing to do with fighting!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u_PEBsEyYHQ

Maybe the death penalty would be an adequate deterrent. There better not be some kind of bs/pc outcry the first time someone fights back and kills one of these degenerate f*ckers.

This article is dated

...with our forum update, we were offline for two weeks, so I've been meaning to post this one up.

Police Unsure if Random Attacks Are Rising Threat or Urban Myth
    ‘Knockout Game’ a Spreading Menace or a Myth
    By CARA BUCKLEY
    Published: November 22, 2013

Fear swept through Borough Park, Brooklyn, as soon as the news got out: A young man was randomly assaulted by strangers early Friday morning, and the attack was possibly part of the so-called Knockout Game.

Four men were arrested, but on Friday night only one was charged and the others were released.

The attack added to a growing log of reports of such crimes in the Northeast and beyond. Young assailants were randomly picking unlucky targets and trying to knock them out with just one punch.

Yet police officials in several cities where such attacks have been reported said that the “game” amounted to little more than an urban myth, and that the attacks in question might be nothing more than the sort of random assaults that have always occurred.

And in New York City, police officials are struggling to determine whether they should advise the public to take precautions against the Knockout Game — or whether in fact it existed.

“We’re trying to determine whether or not this is a real phenomenon,” Police Commissioner Raymond W. Kelly said on Friday. “I mean, yes, something like this can happen. But we would like to have people come forward and give us any information they have.”

Dread about being singled out for attacks has taken root in Jewish communities in the Brooklyn neighborhoods of Crown Heights, Borough Park and Midwood, according to Dov Hikind, a state assemblyman.

Two weeks ago, a 78-year-old woman in Brooklyn reported being punched in the head, with her assailant fleeing without touching her shopping bags or her pocketbook.

This followed sporadic reports of similar recent attacks in Crown Heights, Mr. Hikind said, including one on a 19-year-old Hasidic man who said he had been approached by eight men and then punched in the face by one of them, in what the police said was a possible hate crime.

Then, at 2:45 a.m. on Friday, on the border of Borough Park, a 24-year-old man found himself suddenly boxed in by three men and punched by a fourth. Police said the four men had been out celebrating and were “somewhat intoxicated.” Mr. Kelly said the victim overheard the group discussing “how you knock somebody out.” (Amrit Marajh, 28, of Brooklyn, was charged with assault and with aggravated harassment as a hate crime.)

Whatever the case, a type of panic set in. Mr. Hikind said a girls’ high school in Midwood canceled a Friday evening get-together after nervous parents called the school, expressing concern for their daughters’ safety.

“It’s sick, it’s scary,” said Mr. Hikind, who gathered with other Jewish community leaders last week to discuss the attacks. “It’s like nothing I’ve experienced in my 31 years in office.”

But police officials cautioned that they had yet to see evidence of an organized game spreading among teenagers online, though they have been reluctant to rule out the possibility.

There is particular concern within the department that widespread coverage could create the atmosphere where such a “game” could take hold in New York.

Much news coverage of reported knockout attacks includes 2012 footage from a surveillance camera in Pittsburgh of James Addlespurger, a high school teacher who was 50, being swiftly struck to the ground by a young man walking down an alleyway with some friends. Yet the Pittsburgh police said the attacker insisted the assault was not part of any organized “game.”

“This was just a random act of violence,” Police Commander Eric Holmes said in a televised interview last year. “He stated that he was just having a bad day that day.” The assailant saw Mr. Addlespurger, the commander said, “and decided this was a course of action he was going to take.”

Telecasts have also shown teenagers in Jersey City, their faces blurred, describing knockouts, which they defined as anyone might; someone is struck and knocked out. But they did not report that it was a game.

Bob McHugh, a police spokesman in Jersey City, said there had not been a single reported knockout incident there.

“If there ever was an urban myth, this was it,” he said. Still community concerns spurred by the video prompted a member of the City Council there, Candice Osborne, to post on her Facebook page, “there have been NO reported instances of this type of assault.”

In nearby Hoboken, there was one report of a random assault; in September a man approached by three youths was punched, and died after his head became wedged in a fence between pickets. But Police Chief Anthony P. Falco Sr. of Hoboken said the attack appeared to have been isolated, an assertion repeated by Gene Rubino, a spokesman and assistant prosecutor in the Hudson County prosecutor’s office.

“We keep getting asked that question,” he said, of the Knockout Game, “and there is no noticeable trend.”

Jeffrey Butts, director of the Research and Evaluation Center at John Jay College of Criminal Justice in Manhattan, said much of the fear sown by the reports may have racial roots.

“There’s an element to who wants to see this through the lens of race,” he said. “The kids in Jersey probably set off racial alarms.”

Police officials in Syracuse said the city had seen two such attacks this year, each fatal, and they were on the lookout for more. The police said that at least one of the assailants said he was playing the Knockout Game.

“I think it’s very real,” Sgt. Tom Connellan said. “As opposed to a motive for assault, be it anger or robbery, this is strictly for a game.”

Joseph Goldstein and J. David Goodman contributed reporting.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Don't believe the hype

Here's more
    The Latest "Knockout Game" Claim Was a Lie, But the Truth is Way More Depressing
    By Lindsay Toler Mon., Dec. 9 2013 at 6:00 AM

Facebook
    Ashley DePew says her face was fractured in two places.

In a depressing-yet-predictable twist, the 23-year-old woman whose battered face went viral in "knockout game" hysteria last month was actually hit by her boyfriend, not randomly attacked by a stranger, police say.

St. Louis police charged 25-year-old Justin Simms, of Arnold, and his girlfriend Ashley DePew, 23, with filing false police reports after the pair insisted DePew was suckerpunched by a random thug outside the Trophy Room bar in south city.

DePew told police and KMOV-TV (Channel 4) that she may have been the victim of the violent phenomenon turned national mania known as the "knockout game," where groups, especially of teenagers, viciously attack random victims.

See also: Knockout King: Kids call it a game. Academics call it a bogus trend. Cops call it murder.

Chief Sam Dotson tells reporters he was frustrated to see the lie go viral even as police told reporters early on that DePew's story was inconsistent.

"We had to spend a significant amount of resources unraveling the lies they told," Dotson told the St. Louis Post-Dispatch. "That's resources that could have been spent on other crimes, and it damaged the perception of the city. I hope these two individuals get help in their relationship."

DePew suffered a double fracture and needed reconstructive surgery, according to what she told friends and media.

The fake knockout narrative went like this: DePew and Simms stopped by the Trophy Room on Arsenal early on November 17 to pick up a drunk friend. The couple was separated in the crowd gathered outside, and someone stepped forward to punch DePew in the face.

"I dropped immediately to the ground and screaming and crying, and everybody just scattered," she told KMOV.

Turns out, it's all one big lie. Police say there is no evidence the couple was at the bar, and the drunk friend told investigators he never saw DePew or Simms that night, according to the Post-Dispatch.

The real story is hardly unusual, but it's still upsetting: The couple was arguing while driving when Simms angrily lashed out, hitting her in the eye, according to the Post-Dispatch.

The couple originally fed the lie to DePew's parents, who made the connection to knockout-game stories in St. Louis and other large American cities. DePew filed a police report two days later.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

The antidote for the KO game (if it exists)

New York Rabbi teaching Jewish kids martial arts to defend against Knockout Game
    Posted by Marc Raimondi
    FOX Sports

They drew first blood!

A New York City rabbi nicknamed '€œRambowitz'€¯ for his heroics as a cop says there'€™s only one way to combat The Knockout Game -€“ martial arts.

Gary Moskowitz, a black belt in jiu-jitsu, judo and karate, believes people should train in a form of MMA he calls "€œapplied martial arts" to avoid scary situations on the street, like the disturbing Knockout Game trend that has become popular in cities like New York.

Moskowitz wants to teach would-be victims on how to defend themselves from the gang ritual that involves sneaking up on someone and punching them in the face or back of the head.

"€œI look at these thugs out there like bacteria, like a virus,"€¯ Moskowitz told Fox Sports. "These are society'€™s bacteria. We need to have a defense system. The society'€™s immune system is martial arts."

Moskowitz's idea of martial arts training is much more radical than what you might see in the UFC. As a sensei in Queens, his teachings revolve all around situations that could be encountered in every day life -€“ not facing one person in an Octagon with a referee and time limit.

(Photo Credit: J.C. Rice)

Moskowitz, 57, trains his students to fend off two, three or more attackers -€“ some with weapons. He'€™d like to see something similar in the UFC, like a 3-on-1 matchup with fake knives and very little rules.

"€œIn all my life and as a cop, I never remember fighting just one-on-one,"€¯ said Moskowitz, who is much more interested in the reality of fighting rather than the sport aspect.

Back in the 1980s when he was in the NYPD, the Bronx native set up 5-on-5 MMA fights between rival gangs. He put them in a ring with UFC style rules and called it '€œattitude adjustment'€¯ -€“ until the police department told him to stop.

"€œThey put down their guns and knives,"€¯ Moskowitz said. "€œI think people would love this concept. I think it would actually lower the tone of violence."

MMA enthusiasts might think he'€™s a little off the wall, but they would likely agree with one thing he believes -€“ Moskowitz says ground fighting is the most effective thing on the streets. He tried teaching his fellow cops 30 years ago - long before Royce Gracie and UFC 1 -€“ about jiu-jitsu.

"€œThey didn'€™t comprehend this in the early '€™80s,"€¯ Moskowitz said. They thought it was sissy stuff. I tried to explain to them. Every fight ends up being a grapple."

Moskowitz said that he encountered criminals on angel dust and meth and punching or kicking them had no affect. But a rear naked choke would.

"€œAlmost every fight I'€™ve been in goes to the ground,"€¯ Moskowitz said.

Moskowitz is not really a fan of the UFC. It's not realistic enough for him. He wonders how an MMA star would do if he had to fight two or three men at once.

"€œThey'€™re great superheroes," Moskowitz said. "They'€™re great warriors. But it's not practical for the street. It doesn'€™t mean they can'€™t fight. But they'€™re fighting with rules."
    I recognized the name Gary Moskowitz. He's made two previous news items that have been posted here:
    Martial Arts & Religion
    Successful Street Applications
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Found one of guy hitting a girl, the girl hits on the guy and when he's down the boyfriend runs over and basically punts his face in. Can't find the video right now but maybe someone else can.

Lightbulb

The big elephant in the room is that it's racially motivated. Black youths are attacking mostly white people. In New York Jews are getting attacked. No one wants to talk about this aspect though. Why is that? When Trayvon got shot all anyone could talk about was that Zimmerman was white(half white actually) and that t was racist. Now all the Al Sharptons having nothing to say.