Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Gongfu Revival

Quote Originally Posted by lkfmdc View Post
    I have come to the conclusion either you are on drugs or you are a lunatic...
    He thinks there is ancient sanda lineage...apparently anyone who trains western boxing in China is also a fraud...
    Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    This is 100% TCMA principle. It may be used in non-TCMA also. Since I did learn it from TCMA, I have to say it's TCMA principle.
    Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    We should not use "TCMA is more than combat" as excuse for not "evolving".

You can have Kung Fu in cooking, it really has nothing to do with fighting!

oh, not true at all, when Americans trained by Americans beat Chinese and their pet students, losts of face and reputation lost
    face game needs to be beaten to death anyway.

It is the worst aspect of the traditions around Kung Fu practice. imo.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    He thinks there is ancient sanda lineage...apparently anyone who trains western boxing in China is also a fraud...
    he is one of those idiots who thinks only Chinese can have the real stuff, he will eat shit if they put it on a plate and hand it to him... have you seen his videos? That crap is the "real stuff" he got from his "Chinese master"

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    face game needs to be beaten to death anyway.

It is the worst aspect of the traditions around Kung Fu practice. imo.
    FAce is all China is ever about. When we did our own world championships and got Russia, Egypt, Mongolia, Brazil, etc to come the IWUF put out press release that literally said "this is not real championship because head of organization is not Chinese"
    Chan Tai San Book at https://www.createspace.com/4891253

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    well, like LKFMDC - he's a genuine Kung Fu Hero™
    Quote Originally Posted by Taixuquan99 View Post
    As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

That reads more like racism than anything else. lol

And that weird kind of racism. The kind that is inexplicable and more along the lines of just outright xenophobia.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

That reads more like racism than anything else. lol

And that weird kind of racism. The kind that is inexplicable and more along the lines of just outright xenophobia.
    wait? I thought you had already dealt with Chinese before this? This is pretty standard practice.....

As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

wait? I thought you had already dealt with Chinese before this? This is pretty standard practice.....
    I have. And yes,I've experienced the racism. But granted, I'm a white dude and have not dealt with anything really when thinking in context of others.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

I have been on both the receiving end of racism and also a bystander, since I was the adopted disciple of a Chinese sifu and can speak... the bystander stuff was even stranger... hello! I am white also! "no you aren't you are one of us since you speak"

Quote Originally Posted by Miqi View Post
    I don't think that you should stop teaching, as, as I understand it, you have some successful students. But I think you should stop saying that it's 'san da'. That's no fair on people from Mainland China who've actually trained properly in san da, been qualified, proved themselves in matches etc. Why should you take their business, or damage their reputation?
    As a guy who trained Sanda in China for several years, I think I'm qualified in saying being qualified on the Mainland doesn't mean a whole lot. The standards are very low and the examination fees are high. I don't know if they still do this, but for a time, performance of a "sanda taolu" was required. In fact, I'd say most good coaches in China today have similar backgrounds to both myself and Mr. Ross: loved TCMA when they were younger, then moved on to more modern methods. Some are duan ranked, some aren't.

Furthermore, there are a significant number of Mainland wushu/sanda coaches here in the USA that simply don't have the skills, work here illegally, and then still get butthurt when they see non-Chinese coaching and "stealing" their business. I think that's disgraceful.
    "I'm a highly ranked officer of his tong. HE is the Dragon Head. our BOSS. our LEADER. the Mountain Lord." - hskwarrior

Here is the story, in the short version

guy trained by Chinese "master" in China
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0_AWa...94B8EE772B01DC

People trained by white guy who has no official certification from china
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sU_PEJA01ps

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CoGcU9rQcDU

FAce is all China is ever about. When we did our own world championships and got Russia, Egypt, Mongolia, Brazil, etc to come the IWUF put out press release that literally said "this is not real championship because head of organization is not Chinese"
    When I went to compete in China, they didn't want to let foreigners and Chinese fight once we got there. That way both foreigners and Chinese could get a gold medal. I agree that once you know how face works you begin to realize how rare it would be for a MA to come out of modern day China that is pressure tested. The preference is to have been undefeated (even if you never fought) over having fought a lot but lost some.
    -Golden Arms-

Quote Originally Posted by Golden Arms View Post
    When I went to compete in China, they didn't want to let foreigners and Chinese fight once we got there. That way both foreigners and Chinese could get a gold medal. I agree that once you know how face works you begin to realize how rare it would be for a MA to come out of modern day China that is pressure tested. The preference is to have been undefeated (even if you never fought) over having fought a lot but lost some.
    Well...that is beyond ridiculous...

lol. really?
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Golden Arms View Post

lol. really?
    if you have at all dealt with teh Chinese and their so called "fighting events" you would not at all be surprised....

if you have at all dealt with teh Chinese and their so called "fighting events" you would not at all be surprised....
    Never participated in a fighting event outside of Canada. Except for boxing, but I was only like 15 and 16 years old at the time and that ain't CMA.

As Chinese are not the dominant people at virtually any and all martial arts events in Canada, I have not had to deal with such things. Nor have any of the other people I know who go to these things here.

the worst thing we get is elitist Shotokan dudes.

Which is hilarious.

the san da events are usually dominated by kickboxer types, but I remember on Dragons Cup in Winnipeg where it was Buk Sing guys who walked away with all the potatoes.

anyway. as a near 50 year old dude, I don't see myself having to worry too much about the san da scene in China.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

lol. really?
    When i fought in south east asia against other CMA people and won, it was only because I was half Chinese and physically bigger and stronger, not more skilled.

When I beat the Japanese or Thai fighters I was suddenly Chinese again.

I lost badly to a Thai kickboxer once - knee to the head knockout. If I'd been 100% Chinese I would have been able to fight on! true story. My goddam Irish blood got me knocked out.

Would love to hear about the Shotokan experts David, if you have the time.

Back in my home town, Shotokan is probably or was at the time, the largest martial arts entity around.

It was usually them who put on opens quite often.
    Or at the very least get he ball rolling and get other clubs etc to pay their part upfront, secure the venue, charge by the head to come in and according to what you wanted to enter.

they would then make the program so fragmented as to garner the most amount of 5 dollar bills at the sign up as they could.

Anyway, when it came to the shotokan kata, they would not compete openly against other clubs in open format competition. Always closed and only available to shotokan registered members.

Which was really weird when you consider it's an "open" tournament!

Don't get me wrong, I think Shotokan is as normal as any other martial art someone wants to practice and I also think they have some kata that could win in competition with the right player. I also know that fighting, being a thing inside an individual as opposed to a thing to gain by putting on a style, could be don well by some of their guys too. But they stayed away for the most part from free sparring, point sparring even except if it was with other shotokan people.

that's just how the organization was then. I don't know how they are now, but back then it was weird.
    Kung Fu is good for you.