Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Train for self-defense

Blog Entries

Train for self-defense

When someone said that "I train for self-defense". What does that mean?

You can always say to "kill someone" is to "help someone to go to heaven". It doesn't matter what kind of nice words that you may use, when your "fist meets your opponent's face", your opponent is down and you are standing. Any nice words won't change the outcome.

I truly don't know "training for self-defense" can be any difference from regular MA training. Will you punch in different way or kick in different way? I don't think so. If you want your technique to work, you still have to go through develop, test, enhance, and polish stages.

What's your opinion on this?
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 11-14-2013 at 07:10 PM.
    http://johnswang.com

More opinion -> more argument
    Less opinion -> less argument
    No opinion -> no argument

Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    When someone said that "I train for self-defense". What does that mean?

You can always say to "kill someone" is to "help someone to go to heaven". It doesn't matter what kind of nice words that you may use, when your "fist meets your opponent's face", your opponent is down and you are standing. Any nice words won't change the outcome.

I truly don't know "training for self-defense" can be any difference from regular MA training. Will you punch in different way or kick in different way? I don't think so. If you want your technique to work, you still have to go through develop, test, enhance, and polish stages.

What's your opinion on this?
    Self defense only requires that you survive.

Of course one way to survive is to completely obliterate the other person.

But that extreme is not necessary for just survival.

Running away is self defense.

Sometimes those that don't like training aggressive intent will say they train just self defense.

But better to train for maximum overkill. Then you can choose how much of it to apply.

I truly don't know "training for self-defense" can be any difference from regular MA training. Will you punch in different way or kick in different way?
    I think those that say they train for self defense do differently from MA training to take out the other guy.

You can turtle and wait for a chance to run, or you can go in like you are Buakaw

Quote Originally Posted by -N- View Post
    Sometimes those that don't like training aggressive intent will say they train just self defense.
    It is difficult for a passive person to beat an aggressive fighter. Self defense mentality is in conflict with martial training.

Without proper mindset it becomes bad acting.
    This is 100% TCMA principle. It may be used in non-TCMA also. Since I did learn it from TCMA, I have to say it's TCMA principle.
    We should not use "TCMA is more than combat" as excuse for not "evolving".

You can have Kung Fu in cooking, it really has nothing to do with fighting!

Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    It is difficult for a passive person to beat an aggressive fighter.
    True.

But the "self defense" person doesn't need to beat the other person and win.

They just have to survive.

'Self-defense' is a catchphrase used as a reason for training martial arts in the West since at least the 1800s. As in boxing being referred to as 'the manly art of self-defense'. The term 'art of self-defense' was applied to Asian MA (Judo/Jujutsu) when they became known in the West.

Of course, true MA were originally for dispatching other people by all means necessary. However, from a legal standpoint, you may be better off saying that you train for self-defense, if use of your skills ever results in a court case. Imagine testifying that you train to kill people or send them to heaven.
    Last edited by Jimbo; 11-14-2013 at 08:30 PM.

Defending against an aggressor can be a great advantage as the brain will set off alarms for an adrenalin surge that an offensive minded enemy, especially in a wrongful situation may not be able to deploy. This has often been a great equalizer against odds.

Quote Originally Posted by PalmStriker View Post
    Defending against an aggressor can be a great advantage as the brain will set off alarms for an adrenalin surge that an offensive minded enemy, especially in a wrongful situation may not be able to deploy. This has often been a great equalizer against odds.
    Aggressor also has adrenalin surge. That is why "knockout game" turns into gang beating...
    This is 100% TCMA principle. It may be used in non-TCMA also. Since I did learn it from TCMA, I have to say it's TCMA principle.

Training for self-defense it the catch phrase for people who don't train realistically, but want to convince themselves they are.

When someone says they are training for self defense, usually they mean that they are learning to fight, but that they dont fight.
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

Some of those comments are true.

For those that incorporate sparring and scenario based drills, Training for "self-defense" includes NON-physical skills like visual awareness, de-escalation strategies, use of improvised weapons, etc.

I know of MMA gyms that teach these other skillsets and also say they teach "self-defense".

I knew a girl who I would NOT have put money on to protect herself. She was on the shorter side and overweight. She was in college and went to one of the buildings to work on a project after hours. She was leaving when she was accosted by a man who was about a foot taller than her. He tried to drag her into one of the rooms and she fought back. He tried striking her (giving her a big black eye in the process). While they were fighting she was able to strike him in the groin and bought enough time for her to run away.

Was she successful at "self-defense"? Yes
    Would she EVER have been successful at ANY type of combat sport? No
    "God gave you a brain, and it annoys Him greatly when you choose not to use it."

Quote Originally Posted by Lucas View Post
    When someone says they are training for self defense, usually they mean that they are learning to fight, but that they dont fight.
    Sometimes we say that they are learning about MA, as opposed to learning MA. And that they can't actually use it.

There are lots of people in this category. And it's fine if that's what they want.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin73 View Post
    I knew a girl who I would NOT have put money on to protect herself. She was on the shorter side and overweight. She was in college and went to one of the buildings to work on a project after hours. She was leaving when she was accosted by a man who was about a foot taller than her. He tried to drag her into one of the rooms and she fought back. He tried striking her (giving her a big black eye in the process). While they were fighting she was able to strike him in the groin and bought enough time for her to run away.

Was she successful at "self-defense"? Yes
    Would she EVER have been successful at ANY type of combat sport? No
    Yep. Good example.

Quote Originally Posted by -N- View Post
    Sometimes we say that they are learning about MA, as opposed to learning MA. And that they can't actually use it.

There are lots of people in this category. And it's fine if that's what they want.
    That's a good way to put it....

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin73 View Post
    Some of those comments are true.

For those that incorporate sparring and scenario based drills, Training for "self-defense" includes NON-physical skills like visual awareness, de-escalation strategies, use of improvised weapons, etc.
    As N said, "running away" is true self defense. This is not the intent of traditional Gong Fu. Realistically, most, (not all,) street altercations could be successfully avoided by running away; or eliminated all together by common sense.

It seems if this is the goal, training track would be a better use of your time than training Gong Fu.

Some people have a hard time accepting that Gong Fu does not, "learn to fight so we don't have too," is not, "peaceful art for self defense."

Gong Fu, in the sense of Quan, is conditioning, strengthening, desensitizing method to toughen soldiers physically and mentally, to aid their ability to kill.

The mindset of traditional Gong Fu is not compatible with self preservation tactics. The two should be kept separate to not cause confusion.