Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Train for self-defense

Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    When someone said that "I train for self-defense". What does that mean?

You can always say to "kill someone" is to "help someone to go to heaven". It doesn't matter what kind of nice words that you may use, when your "fist meets your opponent's face", your opponent is down and you are standing. Any nice words won't change the outcome.

I truly don't know "training for self-defense" can be any difference from regular MA training. Will you punch in different way or kick in different way? I don't think so. If you want your technique to work, you still have to go through develop, test, enhance, and polish stages.

What's your opinion on this?
    I train to learn how to stop the threat.

Take that anyway you want it to mean. In a street type confrontation, home invasion, getting mugged, etc. You must stop the threat. That is my answer.
    Last edited by xcakid; 01-06-2014 at 01:41 PM.
    Master of Shaolin I-Ching Bu Ti, GunGoPow and I Hung Wei Lo styles.

I am seeking sparring partner. Any level. Looking for blondes or redhead. 5'2" to 5'9". Between 115-135 weight class. Females between 17-30 only need apply. Will extensively work on grappling.

Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    When someone said that "I train for self-defense". What does that mean?

You can always say to "kill someone" is to "help someone to go to heaven". It doesn't matter what kind of nice words that you may use, when your "fist meets your opponent's face", your opponent is down and you are standing. Any nice words won't change the outcome.

I truly don't know "training for self-defense" can be any difference from regular MA training. Will you punch in different way or kick in different way? I don't think so. If you want your technique to work, you still have to go through develop, test, enhance, and polish stages.

What's your opinion on this?
    I would say that to train for self defense, weapons trained any day training occurs, what can be trained with resistance and gear should be, what cannot must be drilled in shadow boxing. Shadowboxing occuring regularly in which you are having to deal with potential attack from 2, 3, 4, or all angles(and drill these with people, when you can get them). I can't think of anything else. I just like training, thoughts of self defense are more a fun theoretical model to adapt training to for me.

Our latest sweepstakes

Enter to win KungFuMagazine.com's contest for The Book on Immediate Self-Defense by Tony Johnson! Contest ends 5:30 p.m. PST on 10/27/2016.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

self-defense doesn't mean you can't beat the aggressor /attacker up or do damage to them, just means your main goal for learning how to fight is not for competition but to use it if someone tries assaulting you in real life.

Good topic. Self-defense method is another name for MA. But they are not the same IMHO. Self-defense is an important part of MA. And there are various ways to defend ourself. So to those who want to train up self-defense skill, they should train all these ways, and apply them appropriately in different situations.

Regards,

KC
    Hong Kong

Our winners are announced!

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

I haven't read this entire thread, so this may have been said already, but training for self defense on today's terms (differences in classes taught) Is that self defense focuses on scenario training and not forms, sparring, etc. from what I've seen. it's not necessarily something I would recommend. That being said, ANY form of martial art is training to defend yourself. My training in muay thai makes me as capable (likely moreso) than a person who is taking a "self defense" class.

Some people will argue that the difference is in the mentality. In thai boxing, I am not taught to kick the groin, to rake the eyes, to strike the throat, etc. But the mindset you develop in full contact sparring is more than sufficient and also pressure tested.

In my judo days, I helped a friend teach self defense seminars - we actually did not teach many techniques. we both agreed that teaching a lot of techniques in a seminar was pointless, because most people would not practice them after that day, anyway. We picked a handful of scenarios and addressed those. The rest of the time was spent covering the aspects of keeping yourself safe that you can put into practice immediately, with no training - awareness. Not looking like a victim, looking under your car as you walk up to it, having your keys ready before you actually get to the car or house door, how to walk when there is a wall or building nearby, etc. Things they can immediately use to make them less likely to become someone's target.
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

Our latest sweepstakes - enter to WIN

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Our winners are announced

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips