Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Can TCMA and Christianity mix?

Martial Arts and militaries everywhere have always attempted to align themselves with their religions. Killing needs justification.
    Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    This is 100% TCMA principle. It may be used in non-TCMA also. Since I did learn it from TCMA, I have to say it's TCMA principle.
    We should not use "TCMA is more than combat" as excuse for not "evolving".

You can have Kung Fu in cooking, it really has nothing to do with fighting!

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    Our altar stood prominently in the hall and all the students faced it and bowed to it before and after classes. I remember thinking "you're asking me now?"
    silly old sifu, it's not the size of the altar, it's what you do with it
    Chan Tai San Book at https://www.createspace.com/4891253

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    well, like LKFMDC - he's a genuine Kung Fu Hero™
    Quote Originally Posted by Taixuquan99 View Post
    As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

Quote Originally Posted by Wuxia007 View Post
    Can a Christian practice TCMA without violating Christian doctrine/beliefs? For example; bowing to school alters, practicing Daoist concepts in taiji quan, the concept of Qi, practicing and/or promoting styles that are rooted in temples that worship deities other than the Judeo-Christian god, etc.

This question is not about arguing for which faith or religion is true. That's a completely different subject. Also, This question is not limited to only Christians. This question can be applied to many other faiths and/or circumstances in relation to practicing TCMA. People of all faiths are more than welcome to participate. I would love to hear your opinion. All I ask is for no religion bashing. Please be respectful.

WTF!
    What do you mean by not violating Christian doctrine? It is Ok to come to someone's land and take it from them and put the people in reservations while enslaving men in the name of freedom just to fill your pocketbooks then bomb innocent women and children (aka the casualties of war) and say you are providng freedom of speech and the exercise therof of BS! Am I missing something here? He who has the most weapons will definitely win as long as it is backed by a religion that bless the powers to win at any cost.

Yes ( to the original question )
    "The true meaning of a given movement in a form is not its application, but rather the unlimited potential of the mind to provide muscular and skeletal support for that movement." Gregory Fong

When you see Christian, Jewish and Muslim clerics get together and celebrate festivals as one, say a Christmas celebration, are 2 of the 3 violating their beliefs?
    Your beliefs are your own, paying respects to other people's beliefs only compromises you if you feel the differences as opposed to the common ground.
    Christians light candles and pray for departed. Taoists light incense. Atheists ponder while religious pray. If difference is what you look for, you'll find it. The same is true of common ground.
    I was schooled in lay taoism by a crazy old monk who made the point repeatedly that they accommodate all religions and faiths by the choices available to exercise the religion. Which part you used and how you practiced.
    If a 'devout' Christian has issues with Lion Dancing and showing respect at an altar as worshiping Idols, I'l like to know how they feel about iPhones, BMWs and Ray Bans.... Just to frame the conversation.
    Guangzhou Pak Mei Kung Fu School, Sydney Australia,
    Sifu Leung, Yuk Seng
    Established 1989, Glebe Australia

Quote Originally Posted by mawali View Post
    WTF!
    What do you mean by not violating Christian doctrine? It is Ok to come to someone's land and take it from them and put the people in reservations while enslaving men in the name of freedom just to fill your pocketbooks then bomb innocent women and children (aka the casualties of war) and say you are providng freedom of speech and the exercise therof of BS! Am I missing something here? He who has the most weapons will definitely win as long as it is backed by a religion that bless the powers to win at any cost.
    I think you'd be hard pressed to find any of that in sync with the teachings of Christ...now what people do in His name, that's quite another thing....
    This is 100% TCMA principle. It may be used in non-TCMA also. Since I did learn it from TCMA, I have to say it's TCMA principle.

Quote Originally Posted by Yum Cha View Post
    When you see Christian, Jewish and Muslim clerics get together and celebrate festivals as one, say a Christmas celebration, are 2 of the 3 violating their beliefs?
    Your beliefs are your own, paying respects to other people's beliefs only compromises you if you feel the differences as opposed to the common ground.
    Christians light candles and pray for departed. Taoists light incense. Atheists ponder while religious pray. If difference is what you look for, you'll find it. The same is true of common ground.
    I was schooled in lay taoism by a crazy old monk who made the point repeatedly that they accommodate all religions and faiths by the choices available to exercise the religion. Which part you used and how you practiced.
    If a 'devout' Christian has issues with Lion Dancing and showing respect at an altar as worshiping Idols, I'l like to know how they feel about iPhones, BMWs and Ray Bans.... Just to frame the conversation.
    This sort of common sense has no place in religion or TCMA!

If you practice TCMA, you will go to hell. It doesn't matter what religion you belong to.
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

Some interesting points everyone on this thread are making.

The question came to me after hearing a small argument over whether or not a Christian should practice yoga because of its connection to the Hindu religion.

As a Christian, my personal opinion is that its not about the history or origin of a given practice, but rather the individual's motive or reason for doing it that determines whether or not said practice violates their belief system. Practices change and evolve all the time. If as a Christian I could not practice TCMA because many of its practices are rooted in other belief systems, then the same could be argued against the practice of celebrating Christmas which used to be a pagan holiday.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucas View Post
    If you practice TCMA, you will go to hell. It doesn't matter what religion you belong to.
    What if I just watch a lot of Donnie Yen movies?

choy lee fut is Christian kung fu. its the only style of kung fu endorsed by jesus.

cha quan and tan tui are halal.

Honorary African American
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat The Lost Art of Anal Destruction™®LLC .
    Senior Business Director at TEAM ASSHAMMER consulting services ™®LLC

Jesus was very fond of Judoism.

The only god that is valid is the one that gives me special fighting power.

Therefore, I pray to Jinnaluo.
    "I'm a highly ranked officer of his tong. HE is the Dragon Head. our BOSS. our LEADER. the Mountain Lord." - hskwarrior

if your religion says don't worship idols, then you asks if its ok to worship idols, then yes, its ok to worship idols.
    Last edited by bawang; 11-15-2013 at 09:42 PM.

Honorary African American
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat The Lost Art of Anal Destruction™®LLC .
    Senior Business Director at TEAM ASSHAMMER consulting services ™®LLC

As long as you don't watch American Idol on TV, it's OK to practice idolatry. It's a lot like having sports altars with bobbleHeads. BuddhaBobbleHeads are all-omnipotent.
    Last edited by PalmStriker; 11-15-2013 at 09:53 PM.