Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: Can TCMA and Christianity mix?

Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    This is where Christianity adopted a trinitarian doctrine. The word "trinity" is not in the Bible.
    Not correct at all, you will not find anything like the CORRECT Trinity doctrine anywhere other than Christianity.
    You may find views that APPEAR similar, but only on the surface.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Quote Originally Posted by MarathonTmatt View Post
    Question for people who are more read up on the Bible than I am:

Somewhere in the New Testament there is a quote that goes something like this:

Jesus said: "I and My Father are One."

How can this be interpreted? Does it mean that Jesus was a "Man of God", thus close to "His Father", therefore becoming as One, or does it mean that Jesus "was/is God." Also, do these concepts relate to the holy trinity at all?

Thanks in advance.
    I have a masters in Theological studies, so take this for what it is worth:
    You can NOT understand a faith from ONE passage NOR can you understand it if you come at it from preconceived notions.

When Jesus said that, WHO did He say it to and WHEN and HOW would THEY have taken it?
    Clue: They tried to stone him because He was making himself equal with God.

Quote Originally Posted by bawang View Post
    emperor constantine basically flipped a coin and decided to suppport trinity over arianism to form a united church. the trinity is a joke.
    That is SO fare off dude, honestly.
    That is probably one of the silliest notions that opponents of Christianity ever came up with.
    Constantine simply told the council to "make a decision" on it and according to some sources, He may have preferred the Arian view to be the official view because it would have worked out better for him as Emperor.

Well, not to argue too much, but there is some evidence that the Emperor did prefer some interpretations and put some pressure towards those
    Chan Tai San Book at https://www.createspace.com/4891253

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    well, like LKFMDC - he's a genuine Kung Fu Hero™
    Quote Originally Posted by Taixuquan99 View Post
    As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

There seems to be a lot of "mis-informed mainstream" critique of Christianity here, understandably so since there is such a "vocal" online critique of it so readily available.
    I would ask people that IF they truly wanna know the truth, to research from BOTH sides of the argument and NOT just take the side that they prefer to be correct.

Any good Christian apologetic site can answer all these "supposed issues" that really don't amount to anything more than speculation and mis-information".

But, to each their own.

Quote Originally Posted by lkfmdc View Post
    Well, not to argue too much, but there is some evidence that the Emperor did prefer some interpretations and put some pressure towards those
    Correct and we will probably find that there is enough "opinion" on the matter to equally weight BOTH sides of the argument.
    Suffice to say that his SON was far more "direct", LOL !

It isn't a stretch to imagine that politics played a role. The Roman empire had DECIMATED Israel over religious zealotry. It regulated religious life, required sacrifices to the emperor under pagan times. The emperor wanted a unified empire, he didn't want a bunch of monks constantly arguing over orthodoxy and hearsay. And he didn't have much background and probably did not really completely understand some of the points being argued....

As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

It isn't a stretch to imagine that politics played a role. The Roman empire had DECIMATED Israel over religious zealotry. It regulated religious life, required sacrifices to the emperor under pagan times. The emperor wanted a unified empire, he didn't want a bunch of monks constantly arguing over orthodoxy and hearsay. And he didn't have much background and probably did not really completely understand some of the points being argued....
    100% correct, he wanted peace and stability in a religion that he converted to because he thought it would bring peace and stability ( his much publicized vision aside).

His nephew Julian on the other hand, had different ideas.

2. There is no "Nazareth"...
    This is false and I can prove it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kyXz...A5FC16BE4D51DA
    Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    This is 100% TCMA principle. It may be used in non-TCMA also. Since I did learn it from TCMA, I have to say it's TCMA principle.
    We should not use "TCMA is more than combat" as excuse for not "evolving".

You can have Kung Fu in cooking, it really has nothing to do with fighting!

ah, but

Now you're messin' with a.....

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    The only difference is the "oneness" of the Trinity doctrine.
    Honestly I don't find it that hard to understand myself BUT I never came at it with any preconceived notions of what I thought it meant...
    With or without preconceived notions, if you ponder on this concept, it should be obvious that there is an inconceivable mystery to it in the midst of what may sound as easy as one two three. I.e. "for Jesus did not think that equality with God is something that could be grasped". Yet at the same time, "I and the Father are one". Obviously hierarchy is something man uses to abuse other people. Some like to build god images with this hierarchy and duplicate it with words like clergy and laity.

Theological studies, apologetics, hermeneutics, exegesis, and all the other greek bla bla bla can go to hell in a hand basket. What Good are we doing?? If you can manage to abstain or explain away from all sin for your whole life will God say to you, "well done, you didnt screw anything up. Thats just what i have been looking for this whole time. Some body who has never done any wrong. Please, come sit next to me and we can condescend to the rest of all creation."

Why did God call David a man after his own heart even through all he did. Why Moses, why Gideon, why...
    Conversely, what about the Pharisees? They were masters of theological persuits, rhetoric, and kept themselves legally pure. According to Jesus, what did God feel about them? Refer to Matthew 23.

Better to concern yourself with doing good to widows and orphans rather than memorize the human cannon of modern christian lingo and end up completely deaf to the voice of God in the same way the Teachers of the law did. That should be a major concern for anyone who delves into the scripture.
    2 Corinthians 3:14-15 But their minds were hardened. For to this day, when they read the old covenant, that same veil remains unlifted, because only through Christ is it taken away. Yes, to this day whenever Moses is read a veil lies over their hearts.
    :::::::
    Regarding the otigional post:
    If you take the bible as a whole, it is easy to see a few of the major things that God gets feisty about and has punished people for.
    1. When people who he helps turn to other ways, idols, gods or mix them into His way-- this is basically adultery, and a real slap in the face to the one who did so much for you.
    2. When people oppress/abuse other people, especially ones who cant do anything about it. (War and battle is a different idea)
    3. When people do things that will lead to a destruction of their own community ( this is part of the summary of the law and the prophets) - things like adultery, theft, complete disregard of the wisdom of elders(parents can remove themselves from that place), etc...

Bawang is right about having bigger problems than burning incense to asian action figures. Not having any good to offer the world - any salt if you will-- is a more up front issue. If you have no salt, light, good, what does it matter who you "worship"
    --—••—--•--—••—–-
    Its only a problem if there is a solution
    ⚓️

Ok, I found this helpful, but I am still a bit confused.

So, is it something like this; St. Augustine says the mind is an image of the trinity, with its ‘Memory, understanding, will’. I suppose this is not precisely the same type of trinity but an analogy to help make this concept comprehendible.

Memory—Understanding—Will

….And hence these three are one, in that they are one life, one mind, one essence; and whatever else they are severally called in respect to themselves, they are called also together, not plurally, but in the singular number. But they are three, in that wherein they are mutually referred to each other; and if they were not equal, and this not only each to each, but also each to all, they certainly could not mutually contain each other; for not only is each contained by each, but also all by each. For I remember that I have memory and understanding, and will; and I understand that I understand, and will, and remember; and I will that I will, and remember, and understand; and I remember together my whole memory, and understanding, and will. For that of my memory which I do not remember, is not in my memory; and nothing is so much in the memory as memory itself. Therefore I remember the whole memory. Also, whatever I understand I know that I understand, and I know that I will whatever I will; but whatever I know I remember. Therefore I remember the whole of my understanding, and the whole of my will. Likewise, when I understand these three things, I understand them together as whole. For there is none of things intelligible which I do not understand, except what I do not know; but what I do not know, I neither remember, nor will. Therefore, whatever of things intelligible I do not understand, it follows also that I neither remember nor will. And whatever of things intelligible I remember and will, it follows that I understand. My will also embraces my whole understanding and my whole memory while I use the whole that I understand and remember. And, therefore, while all are mutually comprehended by each, and as wholes, each as a whole is equal to each as a whole, and each as a whole at the same time to all as wholes; and these three are one, one life, one mind, one essence. --- St. Augustine De Trinitate (c.400 A.D)

And so in this way I can kind of begin to think about how Father---Son---Spirit are simultaneously one and yet distinct. Since all of us can think about memory-will-understanding separately and yet they can only really act together.

Is this a reasonable way to think about the trinity?
    Last edited by RenDaHai; 08-15-2014 at 03:26 PM.
    問「武」。曰:「克。」未達。曰:「勝己之私之謂克。」

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    I have a masters in Theological studies
    oh! I just noticed this! No wonder you have such great info on this

Quote Originally Posted by Pipefighter View Post
    Theological studies, apologetics, hermeneutics, exegesis, and all the other greek bla bla bla can go to hell in a hand basket. What Good are we doing??
    You and I could probably get along...
    This is 100% TCMA principle. It may be used in non-TCMA also. Since I did learn it from TCMA, I have to say it's TCMA principle.
    We should not use "TCMA is more than combat" as excuse for not "evolving".

You can have Kung Fu in cooking, it really has nothing to do with fighting!

Quote Originally Posted by Pipefighter View Post
    If you have no salt, light, good, what does it matter who you "worship"
    My thoughts exactly.