Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Kev's many "Clip" Threads in One Place

Kev's many "Clip" Threads in One Place

Ex twc master now wsl pb vt , showing pak and outside jut with movement and angling. http://youtu.be/xcb4TskcksY

Got it! Pb wing chun is based on back up as far as you can and hope you don't run out of room!

Movement is alive so exchange is more realistic. uke is throwing punches with the intent of hitting a target a foot in front of the partner though, so that will tend to train the wrong instincts - pre-emptive pak/jut before necessary and a little behind when strike is in realistic range.

I give it 30 mins before this is deleted BUT for the love of god put some gloves on and actually try to hit someone so range and reactions can be realistic that is breeding some horrible habits into the defender, reaching too far For the pak and moving straight back for example. BOTH will get him koed in a fight
    Last edited by Frost; 11-14-2013 at 08:51 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Frost View Post
    I give it 30 mins before this is deleted BUT for the love of god put some gloves on and actually try to hit someone so range and reactions can be realistic that is breeding some horrible habits into the defender, reaching too far For the pak and moving straight back for example. BOTH will get him koed in a fight
    You wouldn't know a good habit unless it broke your jaw ; )

Clip

Deja vu just to mess with frosty http://youtu.be/xcb4TskcksY

Quote Originally Posted by k gledhill View Post
    Deja vu just to mess with frosty http://youtu.be/xcb4TskcksY
    pass the time anyway you want Kevin, anyone with any real training still knows what's wrong with it hopefully the mods are getting tired of you spitting your dummy our everytime someone questions the great and mighty chosen one and his students

Quote Originally Posted by Frost View Post
    pass the time anyway you want Kevin, anyone with any real training still knows what's wrong with it hopefully the mods are getting tired of you spitting your dummy our everytime someone questions the great and mighty chosen one and his students
    -----------------------------------------
    The clip? neither fish nor fowl.

Just wondering if that would be an example of "chasing hands"?

Maybe it is just me, but I remember doing some light sparring with a guy who was a Golden Gloves boxer in NYC back around 88-89. I did not have that much of a problem dealing with him, of course at that time I was training fairly heavily and lived in the home of my Sifu. Now perhaps he was not that good of a boxer after all, or maybe he was taking it easy on me or perhaps I just got lucky, but the biggest thing I recall was that I moved into him constantly.

In the clip I do not see the receiver doing anything but attempting to block. There is not counter attack at all that I can see, no angling only stepping backwards. Sorry, but once you start moving backwards you will always have a harder time reversing direction. That does not mean you will never step back, but that should not be all you are doing. Also, if you only play defense you will eventually get hit. No way around that, sooner or later something will get through.

When I did Judo, many years ago , we were always taught that we may need to accept or absorb some hits in order to get in and get a good throw. Same when I was taught to use a knife in the Army, we were taught to sometimes take a cut on the outside of the arm if it would allow us to get a good kill shot.

Just saying...............
    Peace,

Dave

http://www.sifuchowwingchun.com
    Wherever my opponent stands--they are in my space

thanks I forgot how much this place made me laugh.

I guess kev deleted the last thread on this clip?

It's a blocking drill. Good parts are it's alive and deals with typically thrown punches rather than just WCK punches. Bad parts are that the punches thrown aren't done with much skill including being in the right range. That's more of a discipline / skill issue with the uke, not anything wrong with the drill. Footwork IMO contrary to other opinion is not going straight back but fading on an angle. I think that particular angle is taught by PB. Other approaches I have seen is take one or two steps straight back then angle off with a sidestep sharply. That could draw someone in a little better, but it has exposure too.

More helpful than deleting threads might be a little more explanation of the angle he is fading on and that approach.

Quote Originally Posted by k gledhill View Post
    thanks I forgot how much this place made me laugh.

What always makes me laugh is somebody posting a clip of nothing thinking it is something!

Then of course they remove the embarrassing thread!

Quote Originally Posted by hunt1 View Post
    What always makes me laugh is somebody posting a clip of nothing thinking it is something!

Then of course they remove the embarrassing thread!
    What's embarrassing ? It's a clip of a guy throwing random punches and another moving and angling, end . The rest is the usual ( you too ) forum noise.

People kick too .

Quote Originally Posted by Wayfaring View Post

It's a blocking drill. Good parts are it's alive and deals with typically thrown punches rather than just WCK punches. Bad parts are that the punches thrown aren't done with much skill including being in the right range. That's more of a discipline / skill issue with the uke, not anything wrong with the drill. Footwork IMO contrary to other opinion is not going straight back but fading on an angle. I think that particular angle is taught by PB. Other approaches I have seen is take one or two steps straight back then angle off with a sidestep sharply. That could draw someone in a little better, but it has exposure too.

More helpful than deleting threads might be a little more explanation of the angle he is fading on and that approach.
    For every fade step he does he does at least one or somethimes two straight moving back steps, and the only time the attacker has to alter his angle is when the defender pivots away before the attack starts, otherwise the movement isn’t enough to throw off the shots opr make the attacker have to change angle, not to mention when he does move slightly off the line or pivot its to the right or the attackers strong hand, add that with the fact he is reaching for the block as he moves back and he is going to get lit up like a Christmas tree against a semi decent puncher

Quote Originally Posted by Wayfaring View Post

Yes I did to mess with frost ( aka uninformed .anker ) it is angling.