Thread: Nouvelle Vidéo VTLille

Nouvelle Vidéo VTLille

Still working on refining the pad work. Adding some new elements...
    Any feedback appreciated.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O0uyot9pARI

Quote Originally Posted by Sean66 View Post
    Still working on refining the pad work. Adding some new elements...
    Any feedback appreciated.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O0uyot9pARI
    Great clip !

I like the focus mitt work. Even though it's not super advanced, the conditioning live to have to cover body shots or deal with head shots is great with the mitts, as it provides a lighter contact way to condition realistic live responses. I also like the head movement with the mitts, although I suspect that the vast majority of traditionalist WCK practitioners will probably think that the head slips and bobs are not WCK and thus be negative about it. Their slips look decent too, pretty short and compact and not a ton of extraneous movement. Not looking at the actual WCK, but the training methods and drilling I think are good, and good for the art.

As far as feedback on where to go refining the focus mitts - first off it's going to be different than boxing, as with rotating elbow punches there is a ton of weight shift. So trainers are looking to refine the weight shift in boxing with focus mitts (meaning like a 2 punch weight is all forward on the front leg, 3 punch weight is all on the back leg and similar things). Look to refine transitions where you can see them. I would work body/head combos with solar plexus / jaw height level mitt targets. body/head, body/head/body, 2 head body, different combos to ingrain the feel, rhythm, distance, target level changes to get ahead of defenses. make them learn patterns and sequences you make up first, then go random with it later. Work combos initiated by a focus mitt punch to simulate the transition between defense to offense and have strikers key off those. Drill things like pushing forward with the focus mitts and make the striker go around. Make them recover from backing up. Make them follow a target straight, then stepping off angling to have to adjust pursuit.

Oh, one last thing. for a smoother class, rather than having people do rep counts (do 10 of this sequence) migrate towards timed intervals (3:00 of patterns 1,2) as it keeps the advanced and beginner on the same time schedule regardless of how long it takes to do reps.

Good work with the focus mitts, keep developing and let us see as you go it helps push the modern training method envelope
    Last edited by Wayfaring; 12-05-2013 at 11:28 AM.

Thanks for the great feedback, Wayfaring.
    All very good points and I will definitely give a lot of thought to them when working out/refining the drills.

Other things I'm working toward with the mitt drills: integrating more kicking, elbows, takedown and clinch situations.