Thread: Martial Arts practice and Mindfulness

Martial Arts practice and Mindfulness

Recently, there have been several articles in the popular press, including in The Economist, about the rising popularity of "mindfulness training". I pulled together some of these citations into a short article about martial arts training for mindfulness, stress relief and for enhanced creativity, with interesting tidbits about Apple (Steve Jobs) and others. While the academic research had been predominantly focused on yoga, I believe that Karate, Kung-Fu, Tai-Chi, Qi-gong, and other martial arts training conveys similar benefits.
    Your thoughts?

If you are being mindful, you shouldn't be having any thoughts on the matter!

Our latest sweepstakes!

Enter to win KungFuMagazine.com's contest for MINDFULNESS: LIVING THROUGH CHALLENGES AND ENRICHING YOUR LIFE IN THIS MOMENT Autographed by Richard W. Sears!!! Contest ends 6:00 p.m. PST on 5/14/15.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Our winners are announced

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

I hate to say it, but I have been married to someone who has been active in various practices that are supposed to activate mindfulness in the individual.

Me personally, I think that you are going to be mindful because you want to be mindful. You aren't going to pay extra attention to something because you practice mindfulness. I think there is a lot to be said for determination, observation, being compassionate and having awareness/empathy of people and surroundings.

If you don't care about the little things, you won't be mindful. IMO.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

um....

you talking to us or you talking to your wife?

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    you talking to us or you talking to your wife?

lol, just relaying a personal anecdote. I've talked to my wife about it numerous times.
    Because I'm mindful that way.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    I hate to say it, but I have been married to someone who has been active in various practices that are supposed to activate mindfulness in the individual.

Me personally, I think that you are going to be mindful because you want to be mindful. You aren't going to pay extra attention to something because you practice mindfulness. I think there is a lot to be said for determination, observation, being compassionate and having awareness/empathy of people and surroundings.

Being an adult with hyperactivity for 50 years, you are spot on.

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post

What I want is the book price for all the crazy people I know who will buy it for a talisman. Haha
    I think many people are affected by the external environment too. Mindful rooms hold the thought. Hare brain rooms chip at the best of us. Sometimes when a person needs to be it sticks pretty good but subject to time and tide.
    Name:  images (84).jpg
Views: 257
Size:  14.1 KB

I vote gong fu. Mindfulness is acquired by aversion therapy, whereas if you are nutty for a yogi, someone may be disappointed....
    Last edited by curenado; 06-17-2015 at 03:39 PM.
    "The perfect way to do, is to be" ~ Lao Tzu

Mindfulllness or fully in the moment?

Greetings,

A few days ago, I suffered a nasty fall. Though it happened in a flash, I experienced what I consider "eternities" where there was an enhanced awareness of the event while it happened, allowing me more than sufficient time to slightly adjust my body position and extend my arm outwards to break the fall. Throughout the descent, there was nothing but relaxation, almost comfort, and the acceptance that the fall was happening. Strangely, I did not brace for impact. I simply landed with a serious THUDDD. There I was, lying still on the floor for several seconds, buried by stuff I had planned to throw out. I got up and felt absolutely NOTHING. It was as if the event never happened. I did amass slight swelling near my right hip a few days later. That was it.

mickey