Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: My daughter won the 2013 International Pole Championship

Blog Entries

My daughter won the 2013 International Pole Championship

My daughter Natasha Wang won the 1st place California pole dancing in 2010, the 1st place US pole dancing in 2011. 2nd Place Winner of Pole Art 2012.

http://natashawang.com/

She just won the 1st place International pole dancing in 2013 last weekend.

http://www.straitstimes.com/breaking...utine-20131201 (advance to 4.12)

A 38-year-old American with no previous sport or dance experience until nine years ago took home the title of "ultimate champion in the women's category of the International Pole Championship" on Saturday night.

Natasha Wang, who is of Chinese descent, won the award after her routine inspired by the Chinese legend of "Madame White Snake". More than 1,000 people attended the event, held at the National University of Singapore's University Cultural Centre.

Organised annually by the International Pole Dance Fitness Association, the competition was held in Singapore for the first time this year. The event drew 30 of the world's best pole dancers from 12 countries, including Finland, Australia, Singapore and the United States.

Ms Wang, who lives in Los Angeles, says she was completely unathletic and never participated in any sport or dance until she was 29. "I'm completely elated," she told The Straits Times. "This win means a lot to me, because I was considering not even competing this year."
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 12-06-2013 at 05:59 PM.
    http://johnswang.com

More opinion -> more argument
    Less opinion -> less argument
    No opinion -> no argument

Congratulations!

You must be a proud poppa.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Blog Entries
    I started this thread in the Kung Fu Forum session because I believe the "function strength" can be an interest discussion subject. My daughter had never lifted any weight in her life but her "functional strength" is more powerful than mine in certain area. This just seems to contradict to what people may believe in "weight lifting". How can we explain that?

why would you be proud of your child pole dancing? I don't get it.

Honorary African American
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat The Lost Art of Anal Destruction™®LLC .
    Senior Business Director at TEAM ASSHAMMER consulting services ™®LLC

congrats

Congradulation it's a good feeling to see your kids work hard at something and acheive goals.

My Goal In Life Is To Be A Better Person Today Than I Was Yesterday. Martial Art Is One Of The Tools I Use To Achieve This.

The Equation For Good Kung Fu Is Based On Four Simple Principles Breathing, Relaxation, Continues Movement, Structure. Working Them Under Pressure Is What Good Kung Fu Training Is About.

You Have To Breath To Relax, You Have To Relax To Move, You Have To Move To Keep Structure

My Video Page
    http://www.youtube.com/user/dcrjradmonish

I would totally bang that 63 year old in the video.
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    As a mod, I don't have to explain myself to you.

Wink

A 38-year-old American with no previous sport or dance experience until nine years ago
    NINE YEARS lol f***ing rapid!
    I guess we are who we are

True strength!

1. Congrats to Ms Wang, beautiful routine!
    2. Loved the 63 year old former gymnast/ martial artist!
    3. Can't believe no one has mentioned the male contestants...Daniel Kok?
    "The true meaning of a given movement in a form is not its application, but rather the unlimited potential of the mind to provide muscular and skeletal support for that movement." Gregory Fong

Congratulations!
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RD'S Alias - 1A

I have easily beaten every one I have ever fought.....

Blog Entries
    Thanks, guys.

Quote Originally Posted by bawang View Post
    why would you be proud of your child pole dancing? I don't get it.
    Because I'm a left wing liberal.
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 12-07-2013 at 06:17 PM.

Can I marry your daughter?
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

Two points to add:

1 When the pole was used, I was thinking about extra long staff or spear to wield as a long weapon.

I was also thinking about poles standing training or zhuang gong. You practice your steps and postures by standing atop of poles.

I was also thinking about striking poles with cushions as striking drills for many "opponents".

---

2. Personally, I like black dragon encircling the pillar (wu long jiao zhu) better than white snake.

Of course, we all know white snake fairy and Xu Xian. It is a romantic fairy tale.

--

--

Quote Originally Posted by MasterKiller View Post
    I would totally bang that 63 year old in the video.
    Ha! I was just amazed at the shape that lady is in.

That's the difference between functional strength and raw power. Same reason why wrestlers get caveman strong. I'm not sayin you shouldn't lift weights, but whats better? Being able to flip a car or do handstand pushups for days? Swing a golf club, or have to use a tree to scratch the back of your shoulder. Just sayin...

Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    I started this thread in the Kung Fu Forum session because I believe the "function strength" can be an interest discussion subject. My daughter had never lifted any weight in her life but her "functional strength" is more powerful than mine in certain area. This just seems to contradict to what people may believe in "weight lifting". How can we explain that?
    Functional stength is task specific, this is strength that is built by doing the given task.
    Like pole dancing or swinging an ax or a sledgehammer, to wrestling.
    Then there is "raw" or "pure" strength like powerlifters and "strong man" competitions get, this is just pure strength ( though much of what strongmen do can also be task/function specific).
    It is not a case of either/or in regards to what is better.
    No can argue with the benefits of pure strength since it translates over into everything we do.
    Functional strength doesn't really mean anything more than being strong at a given task.
    That the vase majority of professional sports athletes do some type of weight training should make it clear that it is very useful.
    I mean, who doesn't want to be strong? since when is being weak better than strong?
    Since never of course.
    I can't do have the crap your daughter can, I don't think I would want to, LOL !
    Of course just the other day I spent 4 hours hauling 90lbs bags up stairs and never got tired or sore or even winded so, I guess my "raw strength" was good even for that "function".
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !