Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My daughter won the 2013 International Pole Championship

Hybrid View

Blog Entries

My daughter won the 2013 International Pole Championship

My daughter Natasha Wang won the 1st place California pole dancing in 2010, the 1st place US pole dancing in 2011. 2nd Place Winner of Pole Art 2012.

http://natashawang.com/

She just won the 1st place International pole dancing in 2013 last weekend.

http://www.straitstimes.com/breaking...utine-20131201 (advance to 4.12)

A 38-year-old American with no previous sport or dance experience until nine years ago took home the title of "ultimate champion in the women's category of the International Pole Championship" on Saturday night.

Natasha Wang, who is of Chinese descent, won the award after her routine inspired by the Chinese legend of "Madame White Snake". More than 1,000 people attended the event, held at the National University of Singapore's University Cultural Centre.

Organised annually by the International Pole Dance Fitness Association, the competition was held in Singapore for the first time this year. The event drew 30 of the world's best pole dancers from 12 countries, including Finland, Australia, Singapore and the United States.

Ms Wang, who lives in Los Angeles, says she was completely unathletic and never participated in any sport or dance until she was 29. "I'm completely elated," she told The Straits Times. "This win means a lot to me, because I was considering not even competing this year."
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 12-06-2013 at 05:59 PM.
    http://johnswang.com

More opinion -> more argument
    Less opinion -> less argument
    No opinion -> no argument

Congratulations!

You must be a proud poppa.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Blog Entries
    I started this thread in the Kung Fu Forum session because I believe the "function strength" can be an interest discussion subject. My daughter had never lifted any weight in her life but her "functional strength" is more powerful than mine in certain area. This just seems to contradict to what people may believe in "weight lifting". How can we explain that?

why would you be proud of your child pole dancing? I don't get it.

Honorary African American
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat The Lost Art of Anal Destruction™®LLC .
    Senior Business Director at TEAM ASSHAMMER consulting services ™®LLC

congrats

Congradulation it's a good feeling to see your kids work hard at something and acheive goals.

My Goal In Life Is To Be A Better Person Today Than I Was Yesterday. Martial Art Is One Of The Tools I Use To Achieve This.

The Equation For Good Kung Fu Is Based On Four Simple Principles Breathing, Relaxation, Continues Movement, Structure. Working Them Under Pressure Is What Good Kung Fu Training Is About.

You Have To Breath To Relax, You Have To Relax To Move, You Have To Move To Keep Structure

My Video Page
    http://www.youtube.com/user/dcrjradmonish

I would totally bang that 63 year old in the video.
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    As a mod, I don't have to explain myself to you.

Wink

A 38-year-old American with no previous sport or dance experience until nine years ago
    NINE YEARS lol f***ing rapid!
    I guess we are who we are

Quote Originally Posted by MasterKiller View Post
    I would totally bang that 63 year old in the video.
    Ha! I was just amazed at the shape that lady is in.

Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    I started this thread in the Kung Fu Forum session because I believe the "function strength" can be an interest discussion subject. My daughter had never lifted any weight in her life but her "functional strength" is more powerful than mine in certain area. This just seems to contradict to what people may believe in "weight lifting". How can we explain that?
    Functional stength is task specific, this is strength that is built by doing the given task.
    Like pole dancing or swinging an ax or a sledgehammer, to wrestling.
    Then there is "raw" or "pure" strength like powerlifters and "strong man" competitions get, this is just pure strength ( though much of what strongmen do can also be task/function specific).
    It is not a case of either/or in regards to what is better.
    No can argue with the benefits of pure strength since it translates over into everything we do.
    Functional strength doesn't really mean anything more than being strong at a given task.
    That the vase majority of professional sports athletes do some type of weight training should make it clear that it is very useful.
    I mean, who doesn't want to be strong? since when is being weak better than strong?
    Since never of course.
    I can't do have the crap your daughter can, I don't think I would want to, LOL !
    Of course just the other day I spent 4 hours hauling 90lbs bags up stairs and never got tired or sore or even winded so, I guess my "raw strength" was good even for that "function".
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    Functional stength is task specific, this is strength that is built by doing the given task.
    Like pole dancing or swinging an ax or a sledgehammer, to wrestling.
    Then there is "raw" or "pure" strength like powerlifters and "strong man" competitions get, this is just pure strength ( though much of what strongmen do can also be task/function specific).
    It is not a case of either/or in regards to what is better.
    No can argue with the benefits of pure strength since it translates over into everything we do.
    Functional strength doesn't really mean anything more than being strong at a given task.
    That the vase majority of professional sports athletes do some type of weight training should make it clear that it is very useful.
    I mean, who doesn't want to be strong? since when is being weak better than strong?
    Since never of course.
    I can't do have the crap your daughter can, I don't think I would want to, LOL !
    Of course just the other day I spent 4 hours hauling 90lbs bags up stairs and never got tired or sore or even winded so, I guess my "raw strength" was good even for that "function".
    its also the case that the lighter the bodyweight the more easily one can move that bodyweight, hence you dont see any heavyweight gymnasts

It's about time management and balancing strength with everything else. I remember wrestling gorilla manchildren who weighed much more than me and spent way too much time on weights and not enough time doing mat drills. Sure, they could pick me up and drop me on my face, but if I survived that, and to be fair sometimes I didn't, I would usually win. Whereas the guys who outweighed me by a bunch and did hardcore mat drills would beat me 99% of the time.

Like I said, I'm not knocking weights. I just think some folks overemphasize one aspect and neglect others. I started rolling with a few cats I know from the gym. One is learning boxing and wanted to learn submissions. This guy is stacked, but the mat drills do him in every time. So many years of trying to look pretty, now he's starting to learn what it's really like to be strong AND more rounded.

Quote Originally Posted by Syn7 View Post
    It's about time management and balancing strength with everything else. I remember wrestling gorilla manchildren who weighed much more than me and spent way too much time on weights and not enough time doing mat drills. Sure, they could pick me up and drop me on my face, but if I survived that, and to be fair sometimes I didn't, I would usually win. Whereas the guys who outweighed me by a bunch and did hardcore mat drills would beat me 99% of the time.

Like I said, I'm not knocking weights. I just think some folks overemphasize one aspect and neglect others. I started rolling with a few cats I know from the gym. One is learning boxing and wanted to learn submissions. This guy is stacked, but the mat drills do him in every time. So many years of trying to look pretty, now he's starting to learn what it's really like to be strong AND more rounded.
    No one will argue with you on that.
    As MA we have to prioritize our MA first and everything else second.
    Strength training is secondary to building a solid MA foundation.
    Sure there are times when we will prioritize strength, just as there are times we prioritize weapons or speed or stamina or flexibility.
    The point is that is is very rarely a case of either/or.

You make a valid point about time management because, time is finite.
    That said, MA are notorious "time wasters", why?
    We can spend hours and hours, days and years training and NEVER using it !
    Here is the thing though, IF we go strictly on time management and a cost to benefit ration then MA makes LESS sense than ST !
    We use strength in varying degrees everyday, we rarely use our MA skill.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Frost View Post
    its also the case that the lighter the bodyweight the more easily one can move that bodyweight, hence you dont see any heavyweight gymnasts
    This is very true. My 3 lb Yorkie can stand on her 2 front legs, walk and pee at the same time.

http://imageshack.com/a/img19/8890/knq0.jpg
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 12-09-2013 at 11:07 AM.

slightly OT

POLE-DANCING SIXTH-GRADE TEACHER SUSPENDED AFTER VIDEO LEAKS
    BY EWAN PALMER ON 8/21/18 AT 6:57 AM

A North Carolina teacher has been suspended after the school district where she worked came across a video of her taking in a pole-dancing class, according to reports.

Kandice Mason, a teacher at West Hoke County Middle School, said she posted a video of her pole-dancing onto her private Facebook account. The video was somehow then seen by her employers.

The sixth-grade teacher, who also works part-time as a pole-dancing instructor, said she received news of her suspension while she was preparing for the new school year.

“I was really excited,” Mason told WSOC. “I had already been given my classroom.”

Mason, who has a master's in psychology, bachelor's in English and a certificate in phlebotomy, said she pole-dances a form of exercise and to unwind.

"That's how I stay in shape,” Mason said. “That's how I feel like I can express myself and have time for myself.”

Mason said the school did not fully disclose why she has been suspended, with administrators only citing a policy that states: “As role models for the school system employees are responsible for their public conduct…even when they are not performing their job duties as employees of the school system,” reports ABC 7.

A woman performs pole tricks during a Polepeople pole dancing class May 3, 2006 in London, England. Kandice Mason said she was suspended because the school district found out she's a part-time pole dancing instructor.
    SCOTT BARBOUR/GETTY IMAGES

The single mother of two has criticized the school district for punishing her for taking part in a hobby in private.

"I've worked so hard to try and make sure I can provide for my daughters and our livelihood to have it jeopardized just for doing something that I'm passionate about," said Mason.

She added she is angry at whoever leaked the private video form her Facebook page to her employers.

"It wasn't even like it was a parent or student that brought this up. It was someone that was being malicious and pretty much trying to make me out to be a bad person," she said.

Despite the suspension, Mason said pole-dancing is still something she has “never felt ashamed" of doing.

“It's just an art for me. I just don't see it as negative," Mason said.

Hoke County Schools confirmed Mason has been suspended but did not specify why. In a statement, schools representative Donna Thomas said: "Kandice Mason has been suspended with pay pending an investigation."

Her case could go before the Hoke County School Board, which would have the final on her employment.
    It's really a shame that pole dancing has been so tainted by strippers. It's a remarkable art form and can be very tasteful.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Presumptious.

Pole Dancing isn't even a sport in consideration by the IOC. But it still might beat Wushu.

VICTORY LAP (DANCE) Pole dancing officially made a sport and could now be included in the OLYMPICS
    Atheltes have to complete drug testing regimes and rigorous training and the sport could be set for the biggest stage in international sport
    Alex Terrell
    17 Oct 2017, 11:26Updated: 4 Feb 2020, 15:17

POLE DANCING has been officially recognised as a proper sport – and now wants to make it into the OLYMPICS.

The fitness activity, which has traditionally been associated with strip clubs, could now be set to be unveiled on the biggest stage in international sport.

A pole dancer performs a trick with one arm holding the pole Credit: AFP

Campaigner Katie Coates, 41, finally won her 11-year fight after the Global Association of International Sports Federation (GAISF) confirmed the activity would now be classed as a professional sport last week.

Katie, president of the international pole sports federation (IPSF), is now aiming for it to become a part of the Olympic Games.

She began the long road to getting pole dancing recognised as a sport in 2006, when she started a petition to get it into the Olympics which attracted more than 10,000 signatures.

Katie said: "In the early 2000s people started doing it as fitness and taking away the sex stigma, so no high heels and making it accessible for average people.

"Pole dancing is not like everyone thinks it is, you need to actually watch it to understand.

International pole dancing has been ratified as an official sport Credit: International Pole Sports Federation

Campaigner Katie Coates has taken a huge step in her 11-year fight to get pole dancing recognised as a sport Credit: International Pole Sports Federation

"Competitions started but they were very amateur, with friends of friends doing the judging. My goal initially was to make it more professional.

"I feel like we have achieved the impossible, everyone told us that we would not be able to get pole dancing recognised as a sport."

After the success of the petition in 2006, Katie "dropped everything" and began working with the global pole dancing community to turn it into a sport.

In 2009 the international pole sports federation was officially launched, with Katie as the president, and they held their first world championships in 2012 to coincide with the Olympics.

A pole dancer clings upside down to the pole Credit: AFP

Pole dancing has long been associated with gentlemen's clubsCredit: Alamy
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips