Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
Functional stength is task specific, this is strength that is built by doing the given task.
Like pole dancing or swinging an ax or a sledgehammer, to wrestling.
Then there is "raw" or "pure" strength like powerlifters and "strong man" competitions get, this is just pure strength ( though much of what strongmen do can also be task/function specific).
It is not a case of either/or in regards to what is better.
No can argue with the benefits of pure strength since it translates over into everything we do.
Functional strength doesn't really mean anything more than being strong at a given task.
That the vase majority of professional sports athletes do some type of weight training should make it clear that it is very useful.
I mean, who doesn't want to be strong? since when is being weak better than strong?
Since never of course.
I can't do have the crap your daughter can, I don't think I would want to, LOL !
Of course just the other day I spent 4 hours hauling 90lbs bags up stairs and never got tired or sore or even winded so, I guess my "raw strength" was good even for that "function".
its also the case that the lighter the bodyweight the more easily one can move that bodyweight, hence you dont see any heavyweight gymnasts