Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Choking out children

I wonder how many of these kids are fighting because their family needs the income? Adds a whole new dynamic to the morality thing huh.

To me, that's too young. This come back to the tough balance though. A kid who starts that early has a higher chance of "making it", but they also have a higher chance of doing permanent damage. So if you wait till you are more formed, that can be a disadvantage. Like any other sport, you have to decide for yourself how far to take your training, balancing out the benefits with the risks. The problem with kids is the consent issue. We leave that to the parents, but unfortunately some parents are complete idiots, which is why the state steps in and draws that line for all of us. So that state drawn line is a potential benefit to those with idiot parents and it's a potential disadvantage to those parents who know better and have a child who may be physically able to start a lil earlier than that line.

Quote Originally Posted by Miqi View Post
    Actually, you have no moral right whatsover to decide that it's ok to endanger someone's life, child or adult. Justifying it by saying that they shouldn't be there if they can't take it is just an obnoxious justification for bullying or very poor coaching practice.
    Since I didn't say either of the above, I don't see why you put my statement in quotes. Can you read?

It is the instructors decision whether he wants to teach anyone potentially dangerous techniques. As I stated, I choose not to teach children PERIOD. And if one of my students doesn't desire to learn a certain area of the curriculum that I teach, they will not be required to do so. Nor would they be penalized for their decision.

As for the second sentence, I have no idea how you related that to what I wrote.
    Richard A. Tolson
    https://www.patreon.com/mantismastersacademy

There are two types of Chinese martial artists. Those who can fight and those who should be teaching dance or yoga!

53 years of training, 43 years of teaching and still aiming for perfection!

Recovering Forms Junkie! Even my twelve step program has four roads!

Quote Originally Posted by Syn7 View Post
    I wonder how many of these kids are fighting because their family needs the income? Adds a whole new dynamic to the morality thing huh.

Very similar situation with 'ladyboys', which is often viewed as a 'gay' issue, rather than what it often is - part of a continuum of child abuse and child sexual exploitation, with many 'ladyboys' beginning as prostitutes, as children, for financial reasons, and not necessarily by their own choice.

Quote Originally Posted by mooyingmantis View Post
    Since I didn't say either of the above, I don't see why you put my statement in quotes. Can you read?

It is the instructors decision whether he wants to teach anyone potentially dangerous techniques. As I stated, I choose not to teach children PERIOD. And if one of my students doesn't desire to learn a certain area of the curriculum that I teach, they will not be required to do so. Nor would they be penalized for their decision.

As for the second sentence, I have no idea how you related that to what I wrote.
    Well, it's all about how we interpret what other have said.
    Last edited by Miqi; 01-12-2014 at 04:27 AM.

Here's a classic example of what I was talking about. 'Yiquan' instructor Paul Rogers has very recently posted this video in which he - so the video title says - breaks someone's ribs by pushing them off balance on a concrete floor. Personally, I'd be mortified to have injured a student like this. Although accidents do happen, he's bragging about it for commercial and egotistic gain, even posting it on Rum Soaked Fist. I think that is quite despicable.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fs5fXHFKZ_A