3. You may not vote on this poll
  • XBox One

1 33.33%
  • PS4

2 66.67%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: XBox One or PS4

XBox One or PS4

XBox One or PS4; Which is better and why?

ps4- here's why partially.

Kung Fu is good for you.

WiiU

Consoles are on their way out. Few more years and your TV will just be a PC. The console and computer world will completely merge.

Also, optical drives are useless. Does anyone here ever use a CD/DVD/BluRay anymore?

If you hand me a disk, I will have a similar reaction as if you just handed me an audio cassette. WTF am I gonna do with that?

Quote Originally Posted by Syn7 View Post
    Consoles are on their way out. Few more years and your TV will just be a PC. The console and computer world will completely merge.

Also, optical drives are useless. Does anyone here ever use a CD/DVD/BluRay anymore?

If you hand me a disk, I will have a similar reaction as if you just handed me an audio cassette. WTF am I gonna do with that?
    Consoles are not on the way out. They are just getting started into next gen. I do agree, integrated systems will be the way in the future though.
    Optical drives aren't useless, they are still a standard for archival storage actually. Also, I have a movie collection on DVDs that I use my player for regularly.
    It costs nothing to watch these. It costs very little to download. I don't find the line up to be good on my tv (too many ads) netflix has a lot of shows, but you have to pay.
    If you hand me a disk? I'm looking to see what's on it! lol

Come on, it's not all doom and gloom.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Consoles are on their way out.
    Nope. Don't underestimate the fan bases. XBone sold 2 million consoles in just a little over 2 weeks, PS4 something like 8 days? PS4 sold 1 million units in 24 hours in the US alone while XBone was released in several regions simultaneously.The PC Gaming market can't even begin to touch those numbers. Consoles aren't going anywhere. If anything they'll just be made more open: http://store.steampowered.com/livingroom/SteamOS/

Few more years and your TV will just be a PC.
    Already is.

http://www.samsung.com/us/2013-smart-tv/

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    Consoles are not on the way out. They are just getting started into next gen. I do agree, integrated systems will be the way in the future though.
    Optical drives aren't useless, they are still a standard for archival storage actually. Also, I have a movie collection on DVDs that I use my player for regularly.
    It costs nothing to watch these. It costs very little to download. I don't find the line up to be good on my tv (too many ads) netflix has a lot of shows, but you have to pay.
    If you hand me a disk? I'm looking to see what's on it! lol

Come on, it's not all doom and gloom.
    Not doom and gloom. I think it's a good thing. One box does all. It's an engineers wet dream. We will have a centralized hub and satellite terminals wherever we want.

As for your DVD's, why not rip em? put em on a hard drive. Two if you're paranoid. I can see why you wouldn't wanna use flash drives for backup, but a hard disk? It's all good. The only reason why they are still a storage standard is because people change slow. Usually when they do come around it's forced. Doesn't matter. They can resist all they want, but eventually they all get steamrolled or left behind like that crazy uncle who insists his a-track sounds better than any other medium.

Quote Originally Posted by wenshu View Post
    Nope. Don't underestimate the fan bases. XBone sold 2 million consoles in just a little over 2 weeks, PS4 something like 8 days? PS4 sold 1 million units in 24 hours in the US alone while XBone was released in several regions simultaneously.The PC Gaming market can't even begin to touch those numbers. Consoles aren't going anywhere. If anything they'll just be made more open: http://store.steampowered.com/livingroom/SteamOS/

Already is.

http://www.samsung.com/us/2013-smart-tv/
    About the TV's, I meant all of them. What I mentioned to david is already a thing, people just need to catch up now. You'll see it with cars soon too. People will fear the self driving car when in fact it will reduce gas consumption, accidents and travel time for all. But people will find all sorts of things to bitch about. Eventually they will have no choice but to come around.

Mark my words. They will integrate. It's done. All we have to do is wait and see now. I said it, I stand by it. Sure, people are brand whores and fear change, but they won't have a choice. All that will be left are throw back open source projects. Kinda like how kids are making 303's these days. It's a shitty tool, but people feel cool being all retro and shit.

They will also get more and more intrusive.

Name:  1425697_527451547346851_426693647_n.jpg
Views: 422
Size:  34.7 KB

Why are theses new consoles ridiculous? Because you can spend as many hundreds you want on a do it all device, but you still need a cable/satellite box. Integration will only go so far as the market forces will allow. So long as you must find a provider for such services, these integrated consoles/tv's will never be more than an expensive novelty without much real function.

About the TV's, I meant all of them. What I mentioned to david is already a thing, people just need to catch up now. You'll see it with cars soon too. People will fear the self driving car when in fact it will reduce gas consumption, accidents and travel time for all. But people will find all sorts of things to bitch about. Eventually they will have no choice but to come around.

Mark my words. They will integrate. It's done. All we have to do is wait and see now. I said it, I stand by it. Sure, people are brand whores and fear change, but they won't have a choice. All that will be left are throw back open source projects.
    You're completely ignoring the main reason people buy consoles in the first place: games. Video games are a $100 billion a year business and an integrated pc/tv isn't going to disrupt it. The Triple A development shops invest time and money developing for platforms they know will move units. That means MS and Sony. That means investing hundreds of millions of $$ in recruiting and training developers, designers & QA who are seasoned on those platforms. Just because it's possible to put a pc in a tv doesn't mean jack shit when the entire market is built around maximizing profit on the current platforms and to disrupt that would take a monumental shift in technology orders of magnitude greater than a smart tv.

Quote Originally Posted by SoCo KungFu View Post
    Why are theses new consoles ridiculous? Because you can spend as many hundreds you want on a do it all device, but you still need a cable/satellite box. Integration will only go so far as the market forces will allow. So long as you must find a provider for such services, these integrated consoles/tv's will never be more than an expensive novelty without much real function.
    Somewhat related: Several years ago someone was distributing hacked cable modems that allowed you to bypass ISP's MAC control authentication layer and connect directly to the network node. It was literally as easy as buying the modem and if you had cable tv, plugging it into the cable socket and internet. It was a pretty big deal and I think he did some time for it after the feds shut him down.

http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2...eal-broadband/

You're completely ignoring the main reason people buy consoles in the first place: games. Video games are a $100 billion a year business and an integrated pc/tv isn't going to disrupt it. The Triple A development shops invest time and money developing for platforms they know will move units. That means MS and Sony. That means investing hundreds of millions of $$ in recruiting and training developers, designers & QA who are seasoned on those platforms. Just because it's possible to put a pc in a tv doesn't mean jack shit when the entire market is built around maximizing profit on the current platforms and to disrupt that would take a monumental shift in technology orders of magnitude greater than a smart tv.

And you're ignoring that there is no reason why that capability can't(and already is) integrated into other systems. Look at the PC vs. Console war. It's dumb, but it shows there is a market for both. If one unit can serve both, it will be how things end up. Just how it is. You wanna talk about maximizing profit? It's all about integration. Always has been, always will be. Less overhead, more money. The games will still cost. The units will be adjusted to include the cost of console style gaming integrated into one unit. Non gamers will pay for gaming they don't use and gamers will pay for features they don't use. This "monumental" shift in technology is already here. Has been for a few years now. Now we just need the consumer to catch up. When they do, the next thing will already be a real thing and they will have more catching up to do. It never ends. Again, just how it is. Gamers world wide freaked out over xbox one because it isn't just about gaming, yet they had black friday riots to get em anyways. It is what it is. I respect your opinion, but I disagree. Again, time will tell. But I am right.

Somewhat related: Several years ago someone was distributing hacked cable modems that allowed you to bypass ISP's MAC control authentication layer and connect directly to the network node. It was literally as easy as buying the modem and if you had cable tv, plugging it into the cable socket and internet. It was a pretty big deal and I think he did some time for it after the feds shut him down.

http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2...eal-broadband/
    Same thing happened with pay cable. I had a tuner that unscrambled the pay channels when I was like 14. Highly illegal. Lasted about 15 years till the industry created new standards to fix that lil problem.

Cable is dead anyways. Which goes back to my integration theories. Buying channels will only last as long as those invested can hold out and obstruct progress. But eventually they get steamrolled too. Those who resist the change will never win, just delay the inevitable.

We are in the beginning stages of a new economic model as far as entertainment is concerned. It will be interesting to see how long they hold on to the old and what the new will be.

When I was younger, you would get a chunk of cash fronted from a record label, then you owed that money plus all other costs associated with promotion etc etc. Then the indies came. Changed the game. Internet came, people learned music can be free. We are at a major crossroads.

And you're ignoring that there is no reason why that capability can't(and already is) integrated into other systems. Look at the PC vs. Console war. It's dumb, but it shows there is a market for both. If one unit can serve both, it will be how things end up. Just how it is. You wanna talk about maximizing profit? It's all about integration. Always has been, always will be. Less overhead, more money. The games will still cost. The units will be adjusted to include the cost of console style gaming integrated into one unit. Non gamers will pay for gaming they don't use and gamers will pay for features they don't use. This "monumental" shift in technology is already here. Has been for a few years now. Now we just need the consumer to catch up. When they do, the next thing will already be a real thing and they will have more catching up to do. It never ends. Again, just how it is. Gamers world wide freaked out over xbox one because it isn't just about gaming, yet they had black friday riots to get em anyways. It is what it is. I respect your opinion, but I disagree. Again, time will tell. But I am right.
    You realize that consoles are computers right?

You're not even making a real argument anymore.