3. You may not vote on this poll
  • XBox One

1 33.33%
  • PS4

2 66.67%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: XBox One or PS4

Quote Originally Posted by wenshu View Post
    You realize that consoles are computers right?

You're not even making a real argument anymore.
    Is that a serious question?

Anyways. We'll have to wait and see, I guess. I know I'm right tho. It's already in full swing. "Purists" will bitch and whine(as they always do), but it's happening anyways. Purely gaming consoles are already dead and only a small fraction of gamers will "stay retro".

Quote Originally Posted by wenshu View Post
    Nope. Don't underestimate the fan bases. XBone sold 2 million consoles in just a little over 2 weeks, PS4 something like 8 days? PS4 sold 1 million units in 24 hours in the US alone while XBone was released in several regions simultaneously.The PC Gaming market can't even begin to touch those numbers. Consoles aren't going anywhere. If anything they'll just be made more open: http://store.steampowered.com/livingroom/SteamOS/

Already is.

http://www.samsung.com/us/2013-smart-tv/
    You don't need a new computer every few years to play he newest games. My pc has parts from 08 and still plays most games that are put out. Unless you buy store bought but a lot of people know how to build pcs anymore it just makes sense to me. I have a ps3 and xbox360 but I honestly don't care about any of the new consoles basically anything I want to play comes out on pc anyway. It's just easier to connect with others on a pc vs console and I find most of my friends have pc and not the newer consoles. Everything has their advantages. Xboxs' is spying on you with a webcam and ps3 has your credit card info displayed to the public lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Syn7 View Post
    Is that a serious question?

Anyways. We'll have to wait and see, I guess. I know I'm right tho. It's already in full swing. "Purists" will bitch and whine(as they always do), but it's happening anyways. Purely gaming consoles are already dead and only a small fraction of gamers will "stay retro".
    Half serious. You can't specifically define what you're even talking about. If you were specifically making reference to SteamBox/SteamOS then okay maybe you'd be close to something beyond "technology, integration, soon, inevitable change, wait and see" but even that is just a console that will allow you to play some PC games which is really just a strategy for bringing PC games to the much larger casual consumer market and selling everything through downloads and streaming. There is a reason Valve is releasing their own hardware aka a "console": hardware fragmentation. It's a huge problem and its the chief reason why the majority of top selling triple A game titles are invariably developed for consoles exclusively and then ported to PC later. (Notable exceptions being some role playing and strategy niche properties). But your "argument" doesn't even approach nuance of any sort you just made an untenable vague generalization that 'consoles are dead'.

The majority of people sit on the couch surfing the web on tablets while their gaming console streams Netflix. Only those concerned with high performance gaming/simulation and graphics/video rendering will continue to support workstations, the average consumer market will shift almost exclusively to mobile and no one will go to a physical store to buy games or software anymore they'll just stream it.

http://www.strategyinformer.com/news...record-in-2013

Quote Originally Posted by Raipizo View Post
    You don't need a new computer every few years to play he newest games. My pc has parts from 08 and still plays most games that are put out. Unless you buy store bought but a lot of people know how to build pcs anymore it just makes sense to me. I have a ps3 and xbox360 but I honestly don't care about any of the new consoles basically anything I want to play comes out on pc anyway. It's just easier to connect with others on a pc vs console and I find most of my friends have pc and not the newer consoles. Everything has their advantages. Xboxs' is spying on you with a webcam and ps3 has your credit card info displayed to the public lol.
    This isn't about personal preference, I play both but much prefer PC gaming over consoles. This is about market forces and trying to disrupt the inertia of a business model that drives a nearly $100 billion/year industry.
    Last edited by wenshu; 12-13-2013 at 05:17 PM.

Cable is dead anyways. Which goes back to my integration theories. Buying channels will only last as long as those invested can hold out and obstruct progress. But eventually they get steamrolled too. Those who resist the change will never win, just delay the inevitable.

We are in the beginning stages of a new economic model as far as entertainment is concerned. It will be interesting to see how long they hold on to the old and what the new will be.
    You are aware that broadband is provided by the cable companies though yes? Both cable and internet subscriptions are dying. People are moving toward mobile devices and utilizing public wifi facilities. I do 90% of my interneting on campus in my office. Others use coffee shops, etc. Integration itself is a fad. At least with regards to set top boxes, tv's and traditional computing. Now its about smaller, lighter, mobile and where I can take it that will let me use it free (or at least as part of some other service I'm taking part in).

Sorry. I meant Cable TV subscriptions. It's a giant beast. It will go neither quickly, nor quietly. But it is done. Just a matter of time now. I wasn't suggesting that all the coax around us will be abandoned.

I hear you Wenshu. We'll see. We can keep going back and forth, but I have a decent idea of where you stand. Look at the differences between the xbox one and the 360. There is an obvious trend there. Maybe some other consoles will catch on, but not enough to change the direction. I'm no gaming expert, I couldn't possibly invest that kinda time into something like that. I like games, and play once in a while, but I'm mos def not a game junkie. But I do see the hardware trends. I'm not being specific because it's not something that is really being done yet, at least not on the scale I'm talking about. If I knew exactly what it would be and who was going to be on top of the heap for sure, I would get on the ground floor real fast.
    Last edited by Syn7; 12-13-2013 at 07:14 PM.

pee see is de futur

Honorary African American
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat The Lost Art of Anal Destruction™®LLC .
    Senior Business Director at TEAM ASSHAMMER consulting services ™®LLC

I honestly think we are a bunch of old shmucks thinking in old shmuck ways.
    Who knows what the future will bring.
    We can imagine. But we don't really know because of trends and what not.

Nobody has ever successfully integrated platforms, hardware etc.

Some have. Philips for instance with the CD and DVD technology.
    The burner/reader is literally the same in every single device because of patents held by Philips.
    USB as well, but to get around that, hardware manufacturers insist on making different size slots for chargers to device etc.

Greedy ass holes is WHY we don't have more integration and intuitive tech on the market.
    That is the Number 1 reason why we still have these clunky chunks of spinning disks lying about.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    Greedy ass holes is WHY we don't have more integration and intuitive tech on the market.
    That is the Number 1 reason why we still have these clunky chunks of spinning disks lying about.
    I wouldn't say its just that. The thing about computer tech is, if you try to make it do it all, it does none of it particularly well. This is why consoles still exist when there was a huge boom in computer gaming. Those PS4 specs you listed earlier are old news as far as computers go. But you'll never get a computer in the next 6-8 years at the same price point, to be able to compare with those specs. Because its more than just the hardware. A console is optimized for one thing (or at least they used to be), that was games. They could push all that power to that single purpose. A computer can't do that, there's too much going on in the background. Integration is not always the best thing. Of course, if I have the option (and the time, which is non-existent anymore), I always go pc. Because modders. Modders add life to any program, but esp games.

Integrated tv's suffer too. Thing about computers that do make them nice, is the ability to piece out things to upgrade. Try doing that with one of these smart tv's.
    Last edited by SoCo KungFu; 12-16-2013 at 08:19 PM.

Who has time for the games these days anyways. I love those strategy games where you can play one scenario forever. But realistically, if I can't play it in a meaningful way in like an hour, I don't have time for that stuff. I have way better stuff to do with my time. Still, I enjoy to go on a mini binge every year or so, usually in the wet cold season where going outside sucks anyways. Just spend a weekend smoking pot and playing some new shit.

Playstation is a bit more powerful, but you are only going to see that in playstation exclusive games. Games on both consoles will run the same. I got both with the intent to keep the one i liked more and gift the other out.

I kept the xbox because of the versatility and superior network. The xbox live network has been well established for years now, while ps is coming into it with a new network after having their old crappy one hacked.

The kinect also trumps the ps camera, and the entertainment ability of xbox is far superior.

Thats what its all about anyway. Entertainment

I can be cleaning my house or writing or doing some other hand occupying task, and with my voice hop between music, movies, skype and the internet without having to use the controler. In fact i find that i use the xbox hands free more than with a remote control.

I think one would be happy with either however.
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

Who has time for the games these days anyways. I love those strategy games where you can play one scenario forever. But realistically, if I can't play it in a meaningful way in like an hour, I don't have time for that stuff. I have way better stuff to do with my time. Still, I enjoy to go on a mini binge every year or so, usually in the wet cold season where going outside sucks anyways. Just spend a weekend smoking pot and playing some new shit.
    relevant
    http://www.reddit.com/r/gaming/comme...ivilization_ii

I'm actually the same way, I like to try out some new eye candy but I rarely play them all the way through. Maybe play one a handful of hours over a month at most before I get bored and move on. Still haven't beat GTA V and I loved that series. The only reason I can even justify parting with the cash anymore is professional curiosity.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucas View Post
    Playstation is a bit more powerful, but you are only going to see that in playstation exclusive games. Games on both consoles will run the same. I got both with the intent to keep the one i liked more and gift the other out.

I kept the xbox because of the versatility and superior network. The xbox live network has been well established for years now, while ps is coming into it with a new network after having their old crappy one hacked.

The kinect also trumps the ps camera, and the entertainment ability of xbox is far superior.

Thats what its all about anyway. Entertainment

I can be cleaning my house or writing or doing some other hand occupying task, and with my voice hop between music, movies, skype and the internet without having to use the controler. In fact i find that i use the xbox hands free more than with a remote control.

I think one would be happy with either however.
    Back to b's original question. Get the system that has or will have the games you want, aside from exclusives they all pretty much do the same shit. Thats why I'm waiting till next year for the software to catch up and in the meantime playing Mario bros with the wife and upgrading my graphics card.
    Last edited by wenshu; 12-17-2013 at 06:43 PM.

I bought a PS4. And the ten minutes I have spent on it have been glorious.

I hope my next ten minutes I hope to get over the coming months are equally enjoyable.
    The weakest of all weak things is a virtue that has not been tested in the fire.
    ~ Mark Twain

Everyone has a plan until they’ve been hit.
    ~ Joe Lewis

A warrior may choose pacifism; others are condemned to it.
    ~ Author unknown

"You don't feel lonely.Because you have a lively monkey"

"Ninja can HURT the Spartan, but the Spartan can KILL the Ninja"

Quote Originally Posted by Drake View Post
    I bought a PS4. And the ten minutes I have spent on it have been glorious.

I hope my next ten minutes I hope to get over the coming months are equally enjoyable.
    Since I'm now off for the holidays, sort of, I have more free time to read random, less urgent stuff. I did read the other day, that for those who like to play online games, the Xbox is going to really restrict you compared to PS4. Restrict in that, you won't have the games at all. Apparently Microsoft has had a pretty long standing policy of not allowing online, cross platform, multi-player games on the Xbox Live network unless they have their own Xbox-only servers. While Sony has made no such requirement and PS3/PS4 players will be able to play such games alongside PC players. That's a bummer for any into those sorts of things. Especially since I think from looking at the stuff, a number of games coming out seem to be online multi-player. Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't online integration sort of the whole point behind Microsoft's original policy of having to always online? Or was that simply to spy for NSA?

Enjoy your purchase. When I was a flight medic I bought a 360, because when you are always hopping a jet somewhere, and your duty time is in the air, there's not much else to do when you hit the ground. Looking back, a PS3 seems to have greater longevity. Hopefully you'll get a good 10 years or so out of the PS4. You might just get to play it when you retire.
    Last edited by SoCo KungFu; 12-21-2013 at 11:10 AM.

Did anyone read Glenn Greenwald's more recent release from the Snowden docs? The stuff about gaming? Warcraft and all that.