Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Boxing Guard

Blog Entries

Boxing Guard

Some people believe that the boxing guard is the best guard to be used in combat. How will you know that your opponent's next move is either to punch at your head, or to shoot at your leg/legs?

Your thought?
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 01-18-2014 at 11:36 AM.
    http://johnswang.com

More opinion -> more argument
    Less opinion -> less argument
    No opinion -> no argument

NOT "boxing guard"

Most boxing guard is totally wrong for any kicking (since there is no kicking in boxing)

You need "Muay Thai hand position" but even this more modified... actually most like "Dutch Kickboxer guard"

If you use your hands as wrestling defense, your diet will be all punches, elbows, knees and kicks

Your feet and hips fight the wrestler
    Chan Tai San Book at https://www.createspace.com/4891253

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    well, like LKFMDC - he's a genuine Kung Fu Hero™
    Quote Originally Posted by Taixuquan99 View Post
    As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

Quote Originally Posted by lkfmdc View Post
    You need "Muay Thai hand position" but even this more modified... actually most like "Dutch Kickboxer guard"
    What's the difference between the hand position in Thai MT and Dutch MT?
    Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    This is 100% TCMA principle. It may be used in non-TCMA also. Since I did learn it from TCMA, I have to say it's TCMA principle.
    We should not use "TCMA is more than combat" as excuse for not "evolving".

You can have Kung Fu in cooking, it really has nothing to do with fighting!

The state that resembles a middle finger.
    Some people believe that the boxing guard is the best guard to be used in combat. How will you know that your opponent's next move is either to punch at your head, or to shoot at your leg/legs?

Your thought?
    boxing is one dimensional. You could say boxing has the best guard for boxing. If you throw any takedowns or kicks into the mix it changes the dynamics and you have to know those areas as well. That's why I always get upset with most TCMAs they come across that they have answers for all areas when they don't because they do not work all areas.
    Originally posted by Bawang
    i had an old taichi lady talk smack behind my back. i mean comon man, come on. if it was 200 years ago,, mebbe i wouldve smacked her and took all her monehs.
    i am manly and strong. do not insult me cracker.

Name:  guards.jpg
Views: 897
Size:  72.5 KB

quick example
    Chan Tai San Book at https://www.createspace.com/4891253

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    well, like LKFMDC - he's a genuine Kung Fu Hero™
    Quote Originally Posted by Taixuquan99 View Post
    As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

So basically a bit tighter and more closed than a traditional Thai guard...is this the style of guard you teach?
    This is 100% TCMA principle. It may be used in non-TCMA also. Since I did learn it from TCMA, I have to say it's TCMA principle.

The state that resembles a middle finger.
    Dutch MT brought hands back into MT from my understanding
    i had an old taichi lady talk smack behind my back. i mean comon man, come on. if it was 200 years ago,, mebbe i wouldve smacked her and took all her monehs.
    i am manly and strong. do not insult me cracker.

edit: woah was way too late on that
    I guess we are who we are

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonzbane76 View Post
    Dutch MT brought hands back into MT from my understanding
    Traditional Thai boxing gets a lot of criticism for the simplistic punching, but with the focus that is put on the clinch and the use of elbows, there's less time spent "boxing" than there would be in kick boxing formats that don't allow for continuous clinch fighting.

good fighters switch stance.

Honorary African American
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat The Lost Art of Anal Destruction™®LLC .
    Senior Business Director at TEAM ASSHAMMER consulting services ™®LLC

Quote Originally Posted by bawang View Post
    good fighters switch stance.
    Agreed. If your coordinated enough to pull off a take down or a head kick, there should be no reason you can't shift from weight on the front leg, to weight on the back leg, or sink in a live horse.

My favorite is Single Tiger in False leg for the surprise factors in attacking.

And for defense double dragon hands in bow-arrow which is good for threading and sinking punches and kicks to set up for a hip throw (Felling Tree With Roots)

Yes, gasp, I prefer kung fu techniques and footwork over boxing techniques and footwork. lol

"Victorious warriors win first and then go to war, while defeated warriors go to war first and then seek to win."
    - Sun Tzu

Your thought?
    1. Western boxing has very good exponents
    2. Western boxing guard is well respected and usually stands its own in national and international boxing events.
    3. Boxing is still a great skill through the available physical conditioning that has made it great over the century.

One does not know what the opponent will do but boxer to boxer interaction usually have a generalized hunch on the plan of attack. Mixed boxing and wrestling, on the other hand (lile a street fight) depends on the versatility of those who go against the other. Usually mixed boxing/wrestling individuals tend to defeat boxers only because the former has more tools in the box to use against the latter.

Your thought?
    I always liked the FMA systems for defense. As far as knowing if your going to get attacked bye a punch to your head or a shoot to your legs you can use tell bye the level the attack is coming from as long as you keep enough distance to read your enemy.

My Goal In Life Is To Be A Better Person Today Than I Was Yesterday. Martial Art Is One Of The Tools I Use To Achieve This.

The Equation For Good Kung Fu Is Based On Four Simple Principles Breathing, Relaxation, Continues Movement, Structure. Working Them Under Pressure Is What Good Kung Fu Training Is About.

You Have To Breath To Relax, You Have To Relax To Move, You Have To Move To Keep Structure

My Video Page
    http://www.youtube.com/user/dcrjradmonish

Name:  2579_505.jpg
Views: 625
Size:  31.5 KB
    Name:  Boxing-gloves-Dont.jpg
Views: 381
Size:  11.2 KB
    Last edited by MightyB; 01-20-2014 at 06:46 AM.