Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: What has happened to this forum?

Quote Originally Posted by Scott R. Brown View Post
    No, once the same discussions and arguments have been discussed for the 4th or 5th time it gets tedious. I've already had my serious says on most topics I'm interested in, and I've repeated my thoughts on them many times. Most of the long time members here have done the same. I have also trained and studied for so long, there is not much I long to know or learn.

This forum is simple entertainment for me most of the time now. When something interesting or new occurs I have been known to wax a bit serious, but when you agree with others who already say what you would have, why repeat what's already been said?

So, I joke around, with a hint of serious undertones at times for discerning minds.
    ditto.

Quote Originally Posted by PalmStriker View Post
    I have successfully created and field tested prototype locking pattern (offset) refractive index to stop a high-intensity beam of light/laser (extinction) in a 1/4 inch depth clear crystal configuration with photon trap concentration (pyramid cone shape). The equivalent of a martial artist being able to stop any kick, punch or strike of any sort while absorbing all of opponents energy. *What most people would consider impossible. Conversation may resume here: http://www.scienceforums.net/topic/7...ms-of-photons/
    got any paperwork you can show me?

PM me a link/whatever to your work, or do it there. Either way.

Quote Originally Posted by PalmStriker View Post
    Conversation may resume here means: Join The Science Forum and pick up from last post where science forum community left off with snooze alarm on re-set override. Was not meant for extended subject matter discussion on this thread about KFM forum chaos theory. Response time over there has nothing to do with the speed of light. The only thing fast over there is how quickly the active members have clicked on my profile page, looking for clues as to where I'm coming from. Which just goes to show how in demand this forum is, who wasn't checking to see when it was back online? (Would like to see you guys ship out to "the other" Kung Fu Forum (the site that shall not be named) and see how fast you beat virtual feet on your return, heh, heh.
    Hmm... Obviously I can't be 100% certain, but I'm getting a very strong refractive electro-dissipated micro-vibe that you haven't got any peer reviewed journal articles out explaining your groundbreaking work, and that those closed-minded science guys who ignore your genius actually do so because your work is not real science. Just a hypothesis, mind you.

wude

Quote Originally Posted by Minghequan View Post
    I don't know Gene. In Oz the Chinese arts are not so well received or that popular. We are getting the MMA wave at the moment even though that is now attracting a great deal of bad press and several doctors speaking out against same.

I cannot really comment on the USA scene other than that witnessed here ... that being said ... What I'm seeing is not all that great. Very little real discussion, more clowns than a circus and the usual politics and rubbish that's been pedaled for years.

This would I would think, put off a lot of people who might like to contribute but fail to do so because of the above.

What's happened to the basic concept of Wude? Of simply agreeing to disagree without all the vitriol , the sniping, snide remarks?

Many talk of the heart, essence and spirit but few if any actually enact it.
    I was actually discussing the forum as that was the topic of this thread, not general trends in MA. I try to stay on topic here, but it's truly a challenge.

But as for wude, it's easy to lecture others about it, but hard to life it. Anyone can say that they exemplify wude (and by comparison, others do not) but that doesn't count. It only counts when other say you have it.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    I was actually discussing the forum as that was the topic of this thread, not general trends in MA. I try to stay on topic here, but it's truly a challenge.

But as for wude, it's easy to lecture others about it, but hard to life it. Anyone can say that they exemplify wude (and by comparison, others do not) but that doesn't count. It only counts when other say you have it.
    Wude has been thrown through the wringer hasn't it?

I never took it to mean that it was a lesson in manners, it's not.

It doesn't say anywhere in the martial ethic that you have to put up with someones opinion and that you can't call them on it and ask for proof of the workings of their claim.

It says, don't kill those who don't deserve it, don't rape, don't abuse kids, don't rob people because you're stronger than them and so on.
    It's the same martial ethic that tells us to not indiscriminately use an a bomb on Switzerland because our watch isn't working.

Too live it isn't difficult at all. And it never meant give face to someone you know is talking crap. call them on it.
    Mind you, if your belligerence can't cut the mustard after you attempt to smear someone else? Prepare for your beating. lol

I think this whole thing about turning wude into being about suffering fools and being a bootlick to a marginally skilled person is a weird aspect of the egotism and banged in individualism of the west.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Anyone can say that they exemplify wude (and by comparison, others do not) but that doesn't count. It only counts when other say you have it.
    Was that an intentional contradiction? It only counts when others observe it (or the lack thereof) but not when you observe it in others?

I reject Neo Confucianism and base my Wu De on Legalism.

In any case people seem to confuse Confucianism with protecting delicate wing chun internet sensibilities.

It was indeed... good eye, wenshu!

Actually, I started off posting something about how you shouldn't preach about wude and then went on to preach about it, but it got to cumbersome and the humor was lost. As I was rethinking it (and mind you, it's not like I spend very much time composing posts - it's free content after all) I was summoned to the office Xmas party, so I just posted what I had in a somewhat half-assed manner. It delights me that some of the original intended irony came through.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Actually, I started off posting something about how you shouldn't preach about wude and then went on to preach about it, but it got to cumbersome and the humor was lost. As I was rethinking it (and mind you, it's not like I spend very much time composing posts - it's free content after all) I was summoned to the office Xmas party, so I just posted what I had in a somewhat half-assed manner. It delights me that some of the original intended irony came through.

Blog Entries
    you shouldn't preach about wude ...
    How much Wude do you have when "fist meets face"? It's very easy to remember the 10 commandments,

1. don't ...
    2. don't ...
    3. don't ...
    4. don't ...
    5. don't ...
    6. don't ...
    7. don't ...
    8. don't ...
    9. don't ...
    10. don't ...

It's the same for the Wude.

1. Don't lie to your teacher.
    2. Don't dis-respect your ancentor.
    3. Don't cause trouble among Kung Fu brothers.
    4. Don't pretend that you are in high generation when you actually belong to lower generation.
    5. ...
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 12-23-2013 at 05:49 PM.
    http://johnswang.com

More opinion -> more argument
    Less opinion -> less argument
    No opinion -> no argument

Why not just keep it simple? Don't lie, cheat, steal or otherwise cause any harm to anyone when it's not called for? Those last four words are the rub though. No matter what code you come across, if it leaves any latitude for interpretation(and they all do) it can and will be twisted to suit the user. Sometimes it's harmless, sometimes it's not. Kinda makes the whole endeavour a lil pointless doncha think?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Syn7 View Post
    Why not just keep it simple? Don't lie, cheat, steal or otherwise cause any harm to anyone when it's not called for? Those last four words are the rub though. No matter what code you come across, if it leaves any latitude for interpretation(and they all do) it can and will be twisted to suit the user. Sometimes it's harmless, sometimes it's not. Kinda makes the whole endeavour a lil pointless doncha think?
    A friend of mine got himself into big trouble for this.

4. Don't pretend that you are in higher generation when you actually belong to lower generation.

He was my longfist teacher's student. My teacher's teacher GM Han Chin-Tang always like to have 10 students per year for his class. One year he was one student short. My long fist teacher brought him to GM Han and he soon became GM Han's student.

Here is the problem. My friend was my longfist teacher's student, but now he is my longfist teacher's teacher's student. Should he call my longfist teacher as "teacher", or should he call my longfist teacher as "brother"?

If He called my longfist teacher as

- teacher, he had put down GM Han.
    - brother, he had put down my longfist teacher.

This may not sound like a problem for non-Chinese. But for Chinese, this can be a serious issue.
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 12-23-2013 at 06:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post

4. Don't pretend that you are in higher generation when you actually belong to lower generation.

He was my longfist teacher's student. My teacher's teacher GM Han Chin-Tang always like to have 10 students per year for his class. One year he was one student short. My long fist teacher brought him to GM Han and he soon became GM Han's student.

Here is the problem. My friend was my longfist teacher's student, but now he is my longfist teacher's teacher's student. Should he call my longfist teacher as "teacher", or should he call my longfist teacher as "brother"?

This may not sound like a problem for non-Chinese. But for Chinese, this can be a serious issue.

Shouldn't the teacher show due respect to his teacher and let it pass? Did GM know it was his students student? Did either student or teachers converse on the subject before hand? Seems like a bunch a dudes stepping on their own dicks to me. It could have been handled more appropriately if permission was not sought, no?

So what was the solution?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Syn7 View Post
    Shouldn't the teacher show due respect to his teacher and let it pass? Did GM know it was his students student? Did either student or teachers converse on the subject before hand? Seems like a bunch a dudes stepping on their own dicks to me. It could have been handled more appropriately if permission was not sought, no?

So what was the solution?
    There will be a longfist brothers meeting in 1/24/2014 Houston tournament. This issue will be surfaced again. I don't know any solution on this. IMO, there is a difference between student and disciple. In high school, if you join in Kung Fu class, you are just a student. Compare to going through a seriouse disciple ceremony, there is a big difference there.

Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post

That's mianzi not wu de.

Maybe that's what happened to this forum.

People make noble proclamations about wu de when really they're just being petty little bitches because internet won't give face.