Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: What has happened to this forum?

Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    In another forum, the subject "lean or not lean" could generate almost 30 pages of discussion within just 4 weeks.
    Reminding of me and my college mates arguing about tai chi and ba gua in early 1980s.

Lean or pian or yi.

Tai chi is about bu pian and bu yi. No siding and no leaning.

The truth is that you do go to one side then the other. You do lean one way or the other.

However, how do you keep your balance in transition from one side to the other.

That is tai chi all about.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SPJ View Post
    Reminding of me and my college mates arguing about tai chi and ba gua in early 1980s.

Lean or pian or yi.

Tai chi is about bu pian and bu yi. No siding and no leaning.

The truth is that you do go to one side then the other. You do lean one way or the other.

However, how do you keep your balance in transition from one side to the other.

That is tai chi all about.

In another forum, The "lean or not lean" can go for 30 pages. In our forum, the "clinch work" dies at page 3.

What has happened to this forum?
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 12-27-2013 at 12:44 PM.
    http://johnswang.com

More opinion -> more argument
    Less opinion -> less argument
    No opinion -> no argument

What has happened to this thread?

You all comprise the forum. You can say "oh so-and-so is ruining it" about anything. But the forum is all the members here, most of all, all of you. If you all want the forum to improve, be the improvement you desire. Don't be afraid.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    You all comprise the forum. You can say "oh so-and-so is ruining it" about anything. But the forum is all the members here, most of all, all of you. If you all want the forum to improve, be the improvement you desire. Don't be afraid.
    Your like the Ghandi of jaded Gong Fu people...
    This is 100% TCMA principle. It may be used in non-TCMA also. Since I did learn it from TCMA, I have to say it's TCMA principle.
    We should not use "TCMA is more than combat" as excuse for not "evolving".

You can have Kung Fu in cooking, it really has nothing to do with fighting!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    If you all want the forum to improve, be the improvement you desire. Don't be afraid.
    We may need to understand why thread such as "Is Shaolin-Do for real?" can reach to 1274 pages, but thread such as "clinch work" can only last for 3 pages? I truly don't know the reason here.

May be we need to start more threads similar to "Is Shaolin-Do for real?" What may be those threads?
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 12-27-2013 at 02:01 PM.

We may need to understand why thread such as "Is Shaolin-Do for real?" can reach to 1274 pages, but thread such as "clinch work" can only last for 3 pages? I truly don't know the reason here.
    We all know shao lin do is made up after WWII.

It has nothing to do with 1500 yr old shao lin temple.

May be we need to start more threads similar to "Is Shaolin-Do for real?" What may be those threads?
    Because there's about 4 people on this forum that do clinch work....a whole lot more who have vested interest in lineage battles...
    This is 100% TCMA principle. It may be used in non-TCMA also. Since I did learn it from TCMA, I have to say it's TCMA principle.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SPJ View Post
    We all know shao lin do is made up after WWII.

It has nothing to do with 1500 yr old shao lin temple.

My question is "Why should I care about such discussion?" If Shaolin Do is real, it won't improve my combat ability. If Shaolin Do is fake, it still won't decrease my combat ability. On the other hands, if I lean, I can dodge a head punch. If I don't lean, I may get knocked out. Subject such as "lean or no lean" has to do with my combat ability.

My question is "Why should I care about such discussion?" If Shaolin Do is real, it won't improve my combat ability. If Shaolin Do is fake, it still won't decrease my combat ability.
    Because if it is real, by default SDers are the realz dealz, if it's fake than they are fake.

Combat skill has nothing to do with putting the work in, training smart and developing your techniques. It's all about how good the ancestors were.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    Because there's about 4 people on this forum that do clinch work....a whole lot more who have vested interest in lineage battles...
    You are right. It's not a subject that most members here care much about it. May be we should try "roundhouse kick" that everybody care more about it instead.
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 12-27-2013 at 02:12 PM.

Blog Entries
    Because if it is real, by default SDers are the realz dealz, if it's fake than they are fake.

Combat skill has nothing to do with putting the work in, training smart and developing your techniques. It's all about how good the ancestors were.
    Do we all come to this forum, trying to collect as much as information as possible from others, so we can improve our combat ability? When someone said, "If you move this way, you will take certain risk ..." That simple comment can help me a lot if I didn't consider that risk before.
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 12-27-2013 at 02:15 PM.

Do we all come to this forum, trying to collect as much as information as possible from others, so we can improve our combat ability? When someone said, "If you move this way, you will take risk ..." That simple comment can help me a lot.
    I came to talk about Gong Fu, I stayed for the Bawang...

Blog Entries
    I came to talk about Gong Fu,
    Me too. When some Karate guy throws out words such as ke chos, hyung, bunhae kiso, dae run, etc. I truly have no idea what he was talking about. At least in this forum, we all use similar language even if it takes me a while to understand that "plum is not a fruit".

Ghandi? You mean Gandhi. Or maybe you mean Khan Noonien Singh....

Your like the Ghandi of jaded Gong Fu people...
    As for the success of the IS-DfR thread, there are several reasons for its success. Firstly, that is a consolidation of several threads over the years. A long time ago, the Shaolin Forum decided to corral all the SD threads into one place to keep things tidy. The SD people were content to have their own space here on the forum and apart from the occasional troll harassment, go merrily along keeping that thread near the top of that forum. Second, SD is a large franchise, one of the biggest. If you google search 'Shaolin-Do', you'll find the IS-DfR sitting at the top of your search results (it's #4 at this reckoning). That's a lot of eyeballs. Thirdly, it has gained a reputation here as *the* monster thread. I'm not commenting further on that.

To cut to the chase, whining that your thread isn't popular is like whining about Sarah Palin not winning the last election. The forum is democratic. Only a few of the moderators will make threads sticky. Sticky threads are a practice that I personal eschew because I believe in democracy, but allow our mods the freedom to manage their respective sub-forums as they see fit. If a discussion fails to ensue from some post you made, you really can't blame the forum. You made the post. Maybe your posts just aren't that interesting.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Me too.
    1 Twitter bunch is a chao.

I gave up on search and read kungfu tweets long ago.

2 Facebook is like closed communities with permissions to join.

3 This forum is ideal for me to interact and read. Many other forums came and gone. such as cyber kwoon.

This forum is just right for me to search and read kung fu related stuff.