Thread: Old School Sword Duel

Old School Sword Duel

Here is a description of a sword duel between a young fencing champion and a seasoned duelist. I figured Gene would like this considering his history with western fencing. Oddly enough, I learned about this from a science blog.

http://www.calpoly.edu/~dkgrant/fencing/nadi.htm

I know that story all too well

I was trained for my Provost Master exam by the late Master William Gaugler. Gaugler was a pupil of Nadi's and was instrumental in getting Nadi's book, On Fencing (from which this duel tale is extracted) republished. Nadi's book served as one of my textbooks in preparation for the exam.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    I was trained for my Provost Master exam by the late Master William Gaugler. Gaugler was a pupil of Nadi's and was instrumental in getting Nadi's book, On Fencing (from which this duel tale is extracted) republished. Nadi's book served as one of my textbooks in preparation for the exam.
    That's pretty neat. I've always wanted to try western fencing. My university has a program, but I'd rather go through something like you did.

The program I went through was through SJSU

It was under the auspices of ROTC for a while, believe it or not. I actually went to SJSU to fence. In High School, I participated in a summer camp with the late Maestro Michael D'Saro, and he suggested I come to SJSU to fence. He was the coach and he felt I could make the team as a freshman as I had been fencing throughout High School. I was headed to a junior college at the time because I wasn't sure what else to do with myself, but D'Saro said that would cut into my NCAA years (it was 5 years to compete 4 back then). So I took his advice and went to SJSU instead. I became Captain of the Epee squad quickly, but in the end, I wound up having the worst competitive record on that squad. I was short for an Epee-ist.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart